BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SO yesterday car broke down on me while i was driving the city. Diagnostic guys told me its my fuel pump, I paid $90 for the diagnostic.
So they told me to fix it, i need to prepare $900-1000. OMG

I did some digging and replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter is actually easy and for everything it will only cost me $200 !

I ordered the parts from FCEURO https://www.fcpeuro.com/cart
I also went ahead and order spark plugs 6x .
I need help because before you touch the fuel pump i think you need to disconnect something around the hood near the air filter? i saw the mechanic guy did that first and im not really sure what to do there.
Taking the fuel pump and replacing it is easy. just need the first step and it seems important.

as or the fuel filter underneath the car. just need to cut or loose some of the hose and replace the filter.
im a newbie
thank guys

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
SO yesterday car broke down on me while i was driving the city. Diagnostic guys told me its my fuel pump, I paid $90 for the diagnostic.
So they told me to fix it, i need to prepare $900-1000. OMG

I did some digging and replacing the fuel pump and fuel filter is actually easy and for everything it will only cost me $200 !

I ordered the parts from FCEURO https://www.fcpeuro.com/cart
I also went ahead and order spark plugs 6x .
I need help because before you touch the fuel pump i think you need to disconnect something around the hood near the air filter? i saw the mechanic guy did that first and im not really sure what to do there.
Taking the fuel pump and replacing it is easy. just need the first step and it seems important.

as or the fuel filter underneath the car. just need to cut or loose some of the hose and replace the filter.
im a newbie
thank guys
The guy was measuring the fuel pressure on the rail to see if the fuel pump is working.

DISCONNECT THE BATTERY! to prevent any sparks. this is very important. do it in a well ventilated area. Better to do it outside. If you do it inside, make sure you don't turn the light switch on the wall or connect/disconnect anything to the power outlets, these all can generate sparks.

Fuel filter is full with gasoline, be prepared.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YES thank you. I just read that one. I will make sure to work outside open the doors and windows.

My gas is half full. do i need to drain it?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Just have a bucket on the seat to put it directly into. Also make sure you replace the seal.

Autozone rents a fuel pump replacement kit with a retaining ring tool that let's you get a wrench into the metal ring, mine was a LOT more stubborn than the videos on YouTube.

For the filter, just loosen the clamps and pull it off. I'd also replace the 3, 2 inch hose sections, as well as the 3 ish inch section of vacuum line that attach to the filter.

Oh and don't forget to pull fuse 54 and cut your car on until it doesn't start.

Replace the hose clamps too, 6 for the filter, 1 to reattach the hose to your pump.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts