BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 04 325i and the battery died I guess when I was out of state for a couple months and now I can’t get into the car at all with my key it doesn’t work on the driver side or the trunk so how am I suppose to get in and get to the battery please help everything was working perfectly normal before I left

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I have a 04 325i and the battery died I guess when I was out of state for a couple months and now I can’t get into the car at all with my key it doesn’t work on the driver side or the trunk so how am I suppose to get in and get to the battery please help everything was working perfectly normal before I left
You'll need to break the front kidney grill to gain access to the hood mechanism to open the hood. Once you have the hood open, you can use a battery pack or charger to get power to the vehicle at the jump point in the engine bay. The POSITIVE is under the cap. The NEGATIVE is on the inside of the bin or you can just ground to the strut mount.
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car

·
Registered
15,578 Posts
Can you unlock the car driver's door mechanically?

If not, under the car, on the aft part of the LF tire, look inward, you will see a RED cable attachment point for starter motor, you can attach a red cable there and also attach ground cable. Use a donor battery to open the car.

I do not have a photo for E46, but in the E39 5-series, the RED cable is in the photo below...

---

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll need to break the front kidney grill to gain access to the hood mechanism to open the hood. Once you have the hood open, you can use a battery pack or charger to get power to the vehicle at the jump point in the engine bay. The POSITIVE is under the cap. The NEGATIVE is on the inside of the bin or you can just ground to the strut mount.
View attachment 1060028
Thank god that grille is already messed up I pulled it off but the hood won’t open do I have to try harder?

·
Registered
15,578 Posts
Correction...the E46 may not have the red cable attachment under the car as shown above.

However, have you sprayed some WD-40 into the key holes? The car was designed so one can open the door even without battery power...

·
RIP #9
1,566 Posts
No I’ll try that as soon as possible just a busy day so far but if both the driver side lock and trunk lock isn’t working there has to be an explanation of some sort I might just have to call bmw to ask
I've been lurking this thread for a while and I have questions.

When you say the driver's side lock and trunk lock are not working, do you mean they do not work:
A. Electronically -- in other words, the buttons on the key fob do not unlock the car/open the trunk, or
B. Mechanically -- in other words, inserting the key into the lock doesn't unlock, or
C. Both?

What key are you using?
If you have the valet key (grey, no buttons) and the trunk lock is in "valet mode", then the valet key will never unlock it mechanically.
The owner's manual calls it the "door and ignition key" for this reason.

But it should still mechanically unlock the front door lock. Are you turning the key in the correct direction?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts