BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
mostly lurker...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Been a lurker here for a while since I got a CPO 04 330i last week. The car has 14k miles on it and was coming off lease. But after taking delivery I've noticed a problem with the 5-speed steptronic autobox.
Basically during cold start in the morning, after I'm done backing out of my driveway onto a street with an incline facing uphill, I'd put the car in D but noticed the forward gear is not engaged. The first time this happened it startled me cuz here I am revving the engine past 3k but the car is sliding backwards :dunno: ? The solution I've tried and worked would be reverse the car, put it in P, then select D and it'll go on its merry way.
Then I searched this board and found out this is a common problem with the steptronic-equipped cars made before 11/03 (my car was made sometime in 9/03) and the solution is either a "software upgrade" or a tranny replacement. So my question is, since I bought the car CPO, has BMW already done the necessary things to fix the problem? And if not, can I contact the dealer and request a tranny replacement?
Any input will be appreciated. I'm really loving this car, but really don't want the fun to be ruined by this tranny problem :(

Andrew

·
Registered
523 Posts
I took my car in on Friday morning, and it seemed to help. Now instead of having like a 10second delay it goes into drive in about 2-3 seconds after reversing. They did the software upgrade. Most likely they will try the software first then they will see if it's the tranny.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
andynation said:
Then I searched this board and found out this is a common problem with the steptronic-equipped cars made before 11/03 (my car was made sometime in 9/03) and the solution is either a "software upgrade" or a tranny replacement. So my question is, since I bought the car CPO, has BMW already done the necessary things to fix the problem? And if not, can I contact the dealer and request a tranny replacement?
Any input will be appreciated. I'm really loving this car, but really don't want the fun to be ruined by this tranny problem :(

Andrew
My guess is the dealer has not "done the necessary things". However, an CPO 04 with 14k miles is not only covered by the CPO warranty, it is also covered by the original factory warranty.

Just take it to the dealer and have them fix whatever is wrong. If they need to replace the tranny, they will replace the tranny.

·
mostly lurker...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I really hope it's not a case where the dealer did not perform all the TSB and recall fixes before they put it up for sale, and as a CPO nonetheless :tsk: . Else either the BMW dealer is shady or BMWNA's cred on their CPO program is taking a hit. I'll have to call the service manager and see what I'm in for.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
andynation said:
Thanks for the input. I really hope it's not a case where the dealer did not perform all the TSB and recall fixes before they put it up for sale, and as a CPO nonetheless :tsk: . Else either the BMW dealer is shady or BMWNA's cred on their CPO program is taking a hit. I'll have to call the service manager and see what I'm in for.
A tranny replacement would not be a "recall fix". There hasn't been a tranny recall on E46s to my knowledge.

·
davesnothear
31 Posts
Andynation- My situation sounds exactly like yours. I had the s/w fix last week but either it didn't take or I have a more serious problem with my transmission. I told my dealer to get their zone manager in to talk about next steps and to prep them that a transmission swap may be in order. I'll let you know what happens.

Dave

·
mostly lurker...
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dave, so you're saying that the software fix did not solve the delayed gear engagement issue? I've read at another board that you really have to push the dealer/BMW corporate to get the tranny replaced. But on the bright side, if the car is an 03 or later it should still be covered by the full warranty, or else you might want to invoke the Lemon Law. I'll give the service dept. of the dealer I bought the car from a call tomorrow. Honestly I don't expect anything more than a "come down and we'll have a look see" and perhaps a SW fix.
The thing I still don't understand is, if the car is a BMW CPO, wouldn't the SW fix be applied already since it seemed like a well-known and widespread problem, before the car was put up for sale?

Andrew

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.