·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
597 Posts
wow chrome spinners haha
20s will be harsher than your 19s and they will probably bend eventually when you hit a pothole.
your car looks lower than the OEM sport suspension and it would probably look fine with 19s or 20s as is.

FYI most ppl on this board don't like chrome or wheels bigger than 18 so you might be flamed in a bit. on e46fanatics.com they're a bit more open to the idea so you could get an opinion there also.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've said it a few times before, but I really think big rims like the style you have and plan on getting are silly looking, like a toy. I've always felt that rims that large are the grown-up equivalent of a 5 year old going MOMMY MOMMY MOMMY! over and over again, just to finally say HI when mom finally looks over and acknowledges the child's existence.

However, I always say, it is your money, and your car, so you should do what you damn well please with it, regardless of what my opinion is.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,301 Posts
I wuz thinkin` some 40-oz. cupholders would finish it off nicely....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
My BMW has stock suspension now. I was going to get an adjustable suspension setup.

These above foose chrome wheels I have know are just basic single piece wheels. They are better then stock, but still no 3pc wheel...

You guys pretty much summed up the exact reason why I want different wheels. I kinda rushed into this purchase and I'm now ready to get a classy quality wheels like many of you bimmerfest.com members have.

Tomorrow I have a seller of some really nice 20" staggered Maya EX2 wheels coming to my house to show me them, if they look as good as they sound I'm buying them.

Here's the Maya EX staggered wheels I plan to get for only $1500 total, I'm testing the offset tomorrow...

http://www.tireandwheelchoices.com/wheel_maya.cfm

It's actually its silver center...

Also guys what offset front and rear would be ideal for a E46...

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
My BMW has stock suspension now. I was going to get an adjustable suspension setup.

These above foose chrome wheels I have know are just basic single piece wheels. They are better then stock, but still no 3pc wheel...

You guys pretty much summed up the exact reason why I want different wheels. I kinda rushed into this purchase and I'm now ready to get a classy quality wheels like many of you bimmerfest.com members have.

Tomorrow I have a seller of some really nice 20" staggered Maya EX2 wheels coming to my house to show me them, if they look as good as they sound I'm buying them.

Here's the Maya EX staggered wheels I plan to get for only $1500 total, I'm testing the offset tomorrow...

http://www.tireandwheelchoices.com/wheel_maya.cfm

It's actually its silver center...

Also guys what offset front and rear would be ideal for a E46...

I personally think 20's are just too big for an E46. 18's look great, 19's are ok, but 20's are too much. Stick with something in the 40mm range for offset and you should be fine.

Like the interior, sport and black always a top notch combo!:thumbup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I personally think 20's are just too big for an E46. 18's look great, 19's are ok, but 20's are too much. Stick with something in the 40mm range for offset and you should be fine.

Like the interior, sport and black always a top notch combo!:thumbup:
Thanks for the comments Smolck.

If he had them in 19" I'd jump on it in a heart beat, the only reason why I'm considering these 20's is because he is selling them for $1500 which is a great deal IMO.

My original plan is to get a nice 3pc silver center chrome lip staggered setup. But I haven't found any good deals yet.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
Thanks for the comments Smolck.

If he had them in 19" I'd jump on it in a heart beat, the only reason why I'm considering these 20's is because he is selling them for $1500 which is a great deal IMO.

My original plan is to get a nice 3pc silver center chrome lip staggered setup. But I haven't found any good deals yet.
For 1500 you could find a lot of wheels WITH tires that suit a BMW better. You could put ZHP wheels and brand new Pirelli tires and have a few hundred to spare.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For 1500 you could find a lot of wheels WITH tires that suit a BMW better. You could put ZHP wheels and brand new Pirelli tires and have a few hundred to spare.
ZHP makes those Replica 19" M3 style wheels right? I really want to go with a big lip in the back though on some Diamond Cut 3pc wheels. I want to stay away from full face wheels.

Any ideas on a set of new really nice Diamond Cut / Silver Center Chrome Lip staggered 19" with about 3.5" of rear lip?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Those don't look too bad, but I still think that 20" is going to be way too big, 19" or 18" would look much better. I still recommend doing what you think looks best.

·
Registered
814 Posts
20's would look a bit small. Go for 22's at least. Dont forget the 3 inch drop. Or else it wont look right. Can I ask why you would go through the trouble? Do you actually think the 19's you have are too small?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
20's would look a bit small. Go for 22's at least. Dont forget the 3 inch drop. Or else it wont look right. Can I ask why you would go through the trouble? Do you actually think the 19's you have are too small?
Why are some of you guys being such d1cks posting comments like the douche above?

I'm just trying to get some constructive criticism and all you have is negative or non helpful info to give me.

No, I don't think that the 19's I currently have are too small. I'm just trying to get rid of them to purchase a classier style of staggered wheels with not as much bling.

I really want to stay with 19's, but all I've found so far in a staggered 3pc wheel are the above Maya 3pc wheels.

BTW I was looking into the E46 330i Touring H&R Coil Over Suspension only because I can get a decent deal on used from a friend.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are a whole lot of threads on similar subjects to this, which probably explains some of the angst in what few responses you've seen. Also, remember, you're on the internet, which doesn't usually bring out the best in people. :thumbup:

I'm no expert on this subject, at all, in fact, I would probably ignore what I'm about to say. However, based on the threads I've read lately, I would imagine that going to the 20's would make lowering a bad decision.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've seen it done, was going to look into getting the fenders rolled then with the coilovers I could adjust the ride height accordingly.

·
ROLL TIDE!
23,984 Posts
ZHP makes those Replica 19" M3 style wheels right? I really want to go with a big lip in the back though on some Diamond Cut 3pc wheels. I want to stay away from full face wheels.

Any ideas on a set of new really nice Diamond Cut / Silver Center Chrome Lip staggered 19" with about 3.5" of rear lip?
ZHP is a package (sometimes called the "M" package). They are style 135 BMW OEM rims. I dont personally like the M3 wheels (and I have them on my car!) and personally think the ZHP rims are the best looking one's you can buy. I have also seen a few others I like from Jlevis. I guess you have to realize MY taste is just that, MY taste. If you want 20's, think they will serve their purpose in YOUR mind then who cares what we think.

I noticed you posted this same question on E46fanatics too, you will probably get more responses you like from them. Most seem to be younger, more "out there" with the wheels and such. This board is more "tame" when it comes to wheels and suspension. A lot of guys here care more about performance in the curves than bling on the street and the fact is 20's are heavy, and don't do a lot for handling. That is why you aren't getting a really "warm" set of responses.

To each his own. Good luck and I wish you the best!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Chrome rims never look good on... well, anything.

And if you don't like the negative responses, it is because BMW are beautiful machines. We don't want you to throw tasteless crap onto it. Save it for Civics.

·
Registered
597 Posts

This is CSL style replica with a reverse lip. I like it:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573944

check modbargains.com for other wheels. But personally I think the CSL spoke design is the nicest for the E46. Very classic. I've seen them on tuned E36s and E30s too which says how nice they look on bimmers.
http://www.modbargains.com/product.aspx?pf_id=bmw-e46-wheels006

I don't think you can go wrong with that style wheel. With chrome, I think you would regret it after having chrome wheels for a while. They aren't classy.

As for 20s, they are too big. On an SUV they might work because the actual tire circumference is bigger, but on an E46 there will be very little sidewall.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Considering the fact that you do live in arizona, and if you live in the phoenix area, there really isnt too many potholes at all. I have 18"s on my 330 and although im from the northeastern US, i get my wheels aligned 2 times a year. At the dealer, its about 130$, and i think that by having 20's it might just increase the possibility of really throwing it off, not to mention a much higher risk of tire damage. i think if you are looking for looks, go for it, but if youre looking for handling, you may want to stay with 19's or better yet, 18's because they have a decent sidewall to protect your wheels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts