BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've never posted in this section of the forum since I'm an e39 driver but my friend is looking at cars and he stumbled upon this one. http://jackson.craigslist.org/ctd/1069371610.html

I wanted to know how fishy this souds cause this is extremely cheap and he is seriously considering buying it. I'm pretty sure he will be getting himself into trouble if he goes through with it. Just wanted to get opinions from the people who drive the e60s. :thumbup:

·
Knowing is 1/2 the Battle
341 Posts
"Very well maintained and all maintenance up to date Navigation"

Is this an English sentence?? lol... Craigslist and hillbillies...............

Anyway, it could be true, though I doubt it... I mean I just sold my 1996 Pontiac Grand AM on Craigslist for $3,000! But to be honest, I wouldn't even pay $5,000 to buy an '04 5-series, unless I was trying to re-sell it and make profit. This car is out of warranty, and each trip to the dealer would run you north of $1 grand....tires: 1 grand, computer glitch: 1 grand, engine malfunction: 1 grand....

Also notice the semantics of this sentence: "This vehicle looks new, with no signs of prior damage". Does it mean this vehicle had prior damage and you just can't see it?? lol... Like was it cut in half and re-welded? Why would you need to mention "prior damage" trying to sell a vehicle?? I didn't need to... I said my vehicle is in excellent condition and is immaculate inside and out!!!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Yeah craiglist is very shady, I would never buy a vehicle from there. At least all the scammers on there are complete idiots though. I don't really want to turn this thread in another direction, but I do have a great story on how I busted one of these scammers.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I noticed that when it said "prior damage". Anyway thanks for the opinions because I don't know too much about the problems of the e60s and just wanted to give my friend a heads up.

·
Registered
26 Posts
It's been flagged for removal...:dunno:
Yep. If you would have emailed them, they would have wanted all your personal contact information and given you a story about shipping the vehicle and mutual protection on the deal... These scams come up all the time and are usually flagged for removal within minutes. If it's too good to be true, it is. Cross reference the car with ebay and you will usually find the same photos and summary with a more realistic price.

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Tell tell
Ok so here's my story...but I warn you it somewhat long and completely off topic.

I was selling my old iPod mini on craiglist and listed it for $50. I quickly received a reply back from this guy who could just not put a sentence together at all. He claimed to be a soldier over in Iraq who wanted to have the item sent as a gift to his cousin in Nigeria (let the red flags start flying)!

I knew it was a scam, but I played along realizing no money was going to be transacted anytime soon. After a few emails we decided on a price of $62.50 with shipping, but instead I received a fake paypal email notifying me $150 was deducted from this guys "bank account" and that I would receive the funds in mine once the shipping information was confirmed!

I did not reply for 2 days and then received another fake email, but this time it had all these FBI logos on it along with some nasty text accusing me of "merchant fraud." At this point, I think I now have enough evidence to at least negotiate with his ISP and notify them of whats happening through their service.

This whole time, I was emailing the guy through yahoo. His emails concerning setting up the transaction came from his yahoo email, but the emails appearing to be from both paypal and the FBI came from a gmail address that was masked so it would appear as something along the lines of "[email protected]" and "[email protected]".

I decided to look at the full email headers that contain ALOT of meaningless junk, however they also contain the IP of the sender - and they matched (the emails from his yahoo and the fake emails from gmail)! After doing a simple IP trace, I found his location and ISP whom I then contacted.

After A few unsuccessful attempts, I finally got through to the right person who asked me to forward copies of the emails I received. I sent the emails, but did not hear a single word back for about a week - at this point I just figured case closed...what a waste of time.

Out of blue, I get a call from the ISP I contacted with someone from their legal department asking me to meet them at a law office to sign a few papers. When I asked what this was all about, they told me they had been tracking a ring of scammers using the exact same techniques as this guy and that in order to use the emails I received as evidence, I would need to confirm that I did receive them and that the forwarded versions I sent weren't modified in anyway.

Several months later I received a thank you letter from both the ISP and the office of their attorney. There was a short paragraph in it explaining that they cannot reveal the entire details of the case, but that "justice was served" to the individuals involved in the scam ring.

·
Summer is coming!
113 Posts
Yep. If you would have emailed them, they would have wanted all your personal contact information and given you a story about shipping the vehicle and mutual protection on the deal... These scams come up all the time and are usually flagged for removal within minutes. If it's too good to be true, it is. Cross reference the car with ebay and you will usually find the same photos and summary with a more realistic price.
Nope, it wasn't me. When I clicked the link, that's what it said.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts