BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the fuel filter is located on a 2004 745I? My mechanic didn't have time to change it and didn't know where it was off hand. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
433 Posts
It is underneath the car -- near the area under the front passenger seat (on the underside of the car). Your mechanic will need to put the car on the lift, remove some panels on the underside to gain access to it. He should have no problem changing it once he finds it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input I will drop it off on Monday and let him know. He thought it was under one of the panels but didn't have enough time to look. Thanks

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
can't think why you'd need to change a fuel filter on a petrol car anyway !??? unless its done starship milleage ! is the fuel quality in the states really that poor ?!

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
can't think why you'd need to change a fuel filter on a petrol car anyway !??? unless its done starship milleage ! is the fuel quality in the states really that poor ?!
They still get clogged like any other filter. If they didn't, there wouldn't be a need for them in the first place.

·
Registered
223 Posts
its the quality in the states, cuz in europe they offer 98(super plus), and sometimes you can find 102, and i think its called ultimate or ultra

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
its mostly 95ron here ! though higher octanes are available !(at a price) there are no benefits from changing a fuel filter on a petrol car in real terms ! i'd say most do it for piece of mind !!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BMW's recommendations for service intervals are crap. Well lets see when they pulled the plugs they were horrible. The car is running better and they are changing the fuel filter as I type. You have to change the filter because who knows what are in those tanks at gas stations and what else could be in the tanker. Plus it's a filter..... Even if it was diesel you would still have to replace the filter on that. And all gas is not the same. Around me we have Wawa, Sunoco, Exxon, Mobil, Shell, and a bunch of no name branded stations. Now I own a limo company and can definitely tell you there is a difference in the fuel, I can tell by how many miles I get. No name stations are usually crappy, Wawa is hit or miss, Sunoco and Shell are good. I don't go to Exxon anymore because there gas is just as bad as the no names, and Mobil is Exxon... And unless the station has a contract with a specific brand they buy whoevers gas is the cheapest. And like the saying cheap isn't always good and good isn't always cheap... :thumbup: I change my oil every 5000 miles and all other service is done by Ford/Lincoln's heavy service maintenance schedule, wether it's a Ford or BMW. I have gotten anywhere from 350,000 to 950,000 miles on cars before the engine or tranny goes. :bigpimp:

·
Registered
8 Posts
E65 745 fuel filter location

It is underneath the car -- near the area under the front passenger seat (on the underside of the car). Your mechanic will need to put the car on the lift, remove some panels on the underside to gain access to it. He should have no problem changing it once he finds it.
The fuel filter on my 2004 e65 745I is located on the Drivers side right under the drivers front seat. When you remove the panel under the car, (4) 10mm plastic nuts and about (12) 8mm screws you'll see it. Just remenber the fuel filter is under pressure and it will spray fuel all over if you don't release the pressure before you remove it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
BMW E65 745I Fuel Filter Location

The fuel filter on my 2004 e65 745I is located on the Drivers side, right under the drivers front seat. When you remove the panel under the car, (4) 10mm plastic nuts and about (12) 8mm screws you'll see it. Just remenber the fuel filter is under pressure and it will spray fuel all over if you don't release the pressure before you remove it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts