BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking delivery next week and am going to have Serius installed. Can I also have the 6 disc changer and the cockpit input installed? Is there inputs for all three in the wiring or does one overrule the other? Is there a limited number of inputs? Thanks, J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
Lederman said:
I'm taking delivery next week and am going to have Serius installed. Can I also have the 6 disc changer and the cockpit input installed? Is there inputs for all three in the wiring or does one overrule the other? Is there a limited number of inputs? Thanks, J
Yes, you can have it all. -rkahn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Yes you can have it all. You need the following parts, assuming you have nothing other than the factory HK Business CD Head Unit and no Nav. You can still have it all if you have Nav but the part numbers below change slightly. I installed all this myself - it was a snap - complete install instructons located on this site for everything - just search and you shall find. By the way, IMHO I would not use the BMW factory CD changer but rather the Alpine mentioned below. Cheaper and better as far as CD changers go I think. Anyway here is the parts list:

1 Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 Changer
1 Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter
1 Soundgate ABMW35V5 BMW-to-Alpine CD Changer Interface
1 BMW CD Changer Install Kit Part #82-11-1-470-436 4 (If you don't already have it)
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Receiver 84-11-0-153-365
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Low profile antenna 84-11-0-392-099
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Install Kit 84-11-0-141-976
1 BMW Y - Cable (for vehicles w/ CD Changer) #84-11-0-150-526
1 BMW Auxiliary Audio Input 82-11-0-149-389

That is all I think. As I said I have all this in my car, works great and I did the install myself. In fact, my dealer had no clue you could have all this in the car. They tried to tell me that I was limited to just the CD Changer or just the Sirius option - of course that was until I talked to some folks on this site. Anyway, if you are just a little bit handy and can follow simple directions with pictures you should be able to install all this gear yourself with no problem and save hundreds of dollars in inflated dealer labor rates. Plus, as I said, most of them have no clue about this stuff. Let me know if you have any more questions!! Good luck!!! Take your time with the install and you should be stylin'!
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
EricSteinman said:
Yes you can have it all. You need the following parts, assuming you have nothing other than the factory HK Business CD Head Unit and no Nav. You can still have it all if you have Nav but the part numbers below change slightly. I installed all this myself - it was a snap - complete install instructons located on this site for everything - just search and you shall find. By the way, IMHO I would not use the BMW factory CD changer but rather the Alpine mentioned below. Cheaper and better as far as CD changers go I think. Anyway here is the parts list:

1 Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 Changer
1 Alpine KCA-130B Ai-NET to M-Bus Adapter
1 Soundgate ABMW35V5 BMW-to-Alpine CD Changer Interface
1 BMW CD Changer Install Kit Part #82-11-1-470-436 4 (If you don't already have it)
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Receiver 84-11-0-153-365
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Low profile antenna 84-11-0-392-099
1 BMW SIRIUS Satellite Radio System E46 Sedan Install Kit 84-11-0-141-976
1 BMW Y - Cable (for vehicles w/ CD Changer) #84-11-0-150-526
1 BMW Auxiliary Audio Input 82-11-0-149-389

That is all I think. As I said I have all this in my car, works great and I did the install myself. In fact, my dealer had no clue you could have all this in the car. They tried to tell me that I was limited to just the CD Changer or just the Sirius option - of course that was until I talked to some folks on this site. Anyway, if you are just a little bit handy and can follow simple directions with pictures you should be able to install all this gear yourself with no problem and save hundreds of dollars in inflated dealer labor rates. Plus, as I said, most of them have no clue about this stuff. Let me know if you have any more questions!! Good luck!!! Take your time with the install and you should be stylin'!
:stupid:

That is the way to go. You probably will not need the install kit. I did not.

A cheaper alternative to Sirius is XM radio. The hardware and subscription is cheaper. You get the same functionality at the HU as if you had a Sirius tuner. If you add the aux or IPOD input the HU will recognize that and will show up as a selection in your MODE button.
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
Lederman said:
Thanks, For all the advice. What is better about the Alpine 6 disc over the BMW branded unit? Thanks again, J
There should be absolute not difference except that your wallet may over $200 lighter if you buy the BMW branded changer. The BMW changer is made by Alpine. The issue with the Alpine unit is that is speaks M Bus not I Bus. That is where the Blitzsafe adapter comes into play. An Alpine CD changer with adapter can be had for under $250. An Alpine MP3 changer can be had for under $350. The outside boxes of either changer are identical to the BMW box so they install perfectly in the designated space in the trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
Here is the biggest difference between the Alpine CHA-S634 6 Disc CD MP3 Changer and the factory OEM CD Changer....

The factory CD changer will not play anything but standard CDs. The Alpine plays them all, CD, CD-R, CD-RW, MP3, WMA and WAV file formats along with standard CDs. Also, as the previous post states, it is CHEAPER. I paid $239 for the Alpine changer, $14 for the Alpine cable adapter, $99 for the Soundgate device and $12 for the BMW y-cable. Very inexpensive for what you get and you can get it all from one source.

Check out this link for everything you need including DIY specs: http://www.my330i.com/mod33.php
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I am almost convinced to do this myself. If I forget the input instalation up front I'm sure I can do it. Since I havn't taken delivery yet Is there a way I can tell if the car will come with the bracket? That looks like the hardest part of the job other than getting the trunk liner in and out without any creases. Thanks, J
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
Lederman said:
OK, I am almost convinced to do this myself. If I forget the input instalation up front I'm sure I can do it. Since I havn't taken delivery yet Is there a way I can tell if the car will come with the bracket? That looks like the hardest part of the job other than getting the trunk liner in and out without any creases. Thanks, J
The mounting rack has come standard since MY 2003.

Do budget about 2 1/2 hours for the install. It may take less but you do not want to rush things. If you are going to also do Sirius/XM, then this a good time to do it too. It is too much PITA to go back and remove the trunk liner to do another installation. Ask me how I know. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
When you look in the trunk if you see the "trap door" where the changer would be located on the left side you can be pretty sure that you have all the mounting hardware already installed. The changer itself comes with the brackets required to mount it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
384 Posts
LDV330i said:
:
A cheaper alternative to Sirius is XM radio. The hardware and subscription is cheaper.
XM is no longer cheaper - they recently anounced a price increase to $12.99...
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
roup1 said:
XM is no longer cheaper - they recently anounced a price increase to $12.99...
Yes but they are providing a couple more freebies. Well, I am glad I prepaid 2 years so I got a discount and froze my rate.

Beginning April 2, 2005, we will expand the basic service package to include two premium services at no additional charge - the High Voltage channel (previously $1.99/month) and XM Radio Online (previously $3.99/month). The monthly subscription price for our new expanded basic service will increase to $12.95 beginning April 2, 2005. The price change will not affect XM's Family Plan, which allows you to add up to four additional subscriptions for $6.99/month per radio.
Maybe I should go ahead and sign up for a few more years. :D

Until April 2, 2005, we are offering our existing subscribers an opportunity to lock in today's lower monthly rate by selecting a one-year or multi-year pre-paid subscription plan, which provides significant long-term savings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I ordered the Alpine equipment today from Logjam. $425 approx. I will purchase the BMW Sirius stuff from my BMW dealer. I am told I will get the parts at dealer cost with the vehicle purchase. I'm going with Sirius because I have expierience with both and Sirius has a better 70s station. The rest of the programming seems comprable. I did not order or price the install kit thinking it may already be in there. So that will be the first thing I check out when I go in for delivery. Once again thanks very much for all the advice. J
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am a huge wimp. I let the dealership do the instal with the Alpine units purchased from Logjam and the Sirius units from BMW. I was out of town when the car arrived at the dealership and I wanted it ready to go wjhen I got back. Total cost for the Sirius parts and labour for the total instalation was about $500. I proboly paid too much but I am loving the new car and everything seems to work perfectly. Thanks again for all your help. J
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
Lederman said:
I am a huge wimp. I let the dealership do the instal with the Alpine units purchased from Logjam and the Sirius units from BMW. I was out of town when the car arrived at the dealership and I wanted it ready to go wjhen I got back. Total cost for the Sirius parts and labour for the total instalation was about $500. I proboly paid too much but I am loving the new car and everything seems to work perfectly. Thanks again for all your help. J
Hope you you enjoying your audio set up and the new car. :thumbup:

I am really surprised that your dealer was willing to install an non OEM part (Alpine changer with adapter). :dunno:
 

·
Padawan
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
I missed this thread the first time around... it looks like there are some good suggestions here. I was wondering if these options apply equally to a 330cic, since I can't get the OEM Sirius as an option yet either. I think I'd also be interested in the Alpine CD changer. My stereo is completely stock right now HK/NAV w/in dash CD. I've been thinking about how to upgrade my stereo w/satellite and an MP3 player or CD changer, but haven't decided exactly what I want yet. I've heard good things about the IceLink, but I don't even have an iPod yet (been thinking about getting that too).

--J.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My sales guy said he would ask and was obviosley skeptical. When I called back he said it would be in before I got home. I am pleasantly suprised. Now if I just had the "passkey" for the blue tooth all would be right in the world. J
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
JonathanIT said:
I missed this thread the first time around... it looks like there are some good suggestions here. I was wondering if these options apply equally to a 330cic, since I can't get the OEM Sirius as an option yet either. I think I'd also be interested in the Alpine CD changer. My stereo is completely stock right now HK/NAV w/in dash CD. I've been thinking about how to upgrade my stereo w/satellite and an MP3 player or CD changer, but haven't decided exactly what I want yet. I've heard good things about the IceLink, but I don't even have an iPod yet (been thinking about getting that too).

--J.
Check this thread out regarding compatiblity of the accessories you want to install.
 

·
Padawan
Joined
·
1,430 Posts
LDV330i said:
Check this thread out regarding compatiblity of the accessories you want to install.
Thanks, but I know that thread well and what is available from BMW--what I want to know is if the options offered in the threads above are compatible with my car (i.e. the XM unit and the Alpine unit)

--J.
 

·
Registered
2015 335 M-Sport Mineral Gray
Joined
·
6,348 Posts
JonathanIT said:
Thanks, but I know that thread well and what is available from BMW--what I want to know is if the options offered in the threads above are compatible with my car (i.e. the XM unit and the Alpine unit)

--J.
As shown on my sig, XM and an Alpine CD changer do work together. Unfortunately, your sig says you have Nav and Premiun Package (Assist) and per the post I suggested:

Sirius is available for nav-equipped cars built 9/03 or later, but XM Direct does not work with navigation at this time (they're still working on it). Note that Sirius is not currently available for convertibles equipped with nav AND Assist. An installation kit hasn't yet been released for this configuration, but it should be VERY shortly.
That post is still correct. Blitzsafe still has not brought out an adapter for NAV equipped cars. For nearly a year they have been promising it would be available shortly. :eek:
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top