BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone - have owned my E53 for about 9 months now and I really like it (expect for the cost of replacement parts) but I have one issue I hope I can resolve - the car idles very rough - I have a higher than normal amount of vibration just sitting at stop lights which I find quite annoying - do I have some issues with my torque converter or is there something more than that? Appreciate any advice.

Regards

·
Registered
92 Posts
I hope some one jumps in with some advice. I was just working on this problem about an hour ago. Vehicle runs smooth but when sitting at a light in drive, there is much vibration in steering wheel. In neutral or park it's smooth. Checked spark plugs, replaced DISA valve (it needed replacing), new air filter but still kind of rough idle. 2001 x5 3.0L with 166k miles. Thanks in advance.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

·
Registered
92 Posts
check conncetions around the maf sensor ,guys lately have been complaining about rough idle and find the problem is there too.
for check engine light to come on not necesarely .
A million thanks. I have only had this baby for a week. I really like it. Should the idle be so smooth you can't even tell its on, or a little vibration pretty normal?

·
Registered
572 Posts
I have the 3.0i and my engine runs so smooth with no vibrations at all you can`t feel it running, but abviuosley you can hear it run. and when the fast idol kicks of it idles at 500rpm, always owned pontiacs/chevs back in the day and you could feel those engines running a little bit. my g6 from brand new i owned ran slightly rough.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 3.0i and my engine runs so smooth with no vibrations at all you can`t feel it running, but abviuosley you can hear it run. and when the fast idol kicks of it idles at 500rpm, always owned pontiacs/chevs back in the day and you could feel those engines running a little bit. my g6 from brand new i owned ran slightly rough.
I will have to check that out then. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I will have to check that out then. Thanks.

The other day it had about a quarter of a tank of gas left so I asked my wife to put a few gallons of 87 octane gas, (Chevron gas) in it just to see what happened. We didn't notice the rough idle before that but we have only had the car since Tuesday. Since we noticed the rough idle, I have filled the tank up with 91 octane, (Chevron gas) in the hope it will help. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have never put 87 octane in only the bmw rwecommended 91 or higher. it is possible the 87 causing rough idle . I would take it on the highway for a trip to burn some fuel out of it and see what happens
Exactly what I'm doing at this moment. I have put about 40 miles behind me so far. Hope it works itself out. Thanks for the great advise!
By the way, sorry Apa7064, for hijacking your thread. I hope some of it has helped out.

·
Registered
572 Posts
I really haven`t had many issiues since I got my x back in june other than cv joints and valve cover gasket, I just do alot of reading on here and what I read I hope to help someone out ,also I have a bentley manual for the x which tells me alot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I really haven`t had many issiues since I got my x back in june other than cv joints and valve cover gasket, I just do alot of reading on here and what I read I hope to help someone out ,also I have a bentley manual for the x which tells me alot.
Seems like it would be a good idea for me to invest in a manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello, some interesting commentary, but no, this does not fix my idle issue - I have the 4.4 V-8 - no vacuum leaks, however I do need to replace the PRV valves on both sides - could this be causing rough idle? Gas is not the issue - I use 91 or 93 octane and occasionally add marvel mystery oil or Lucas to keep it all tidy. Idle is perhaps a bit high at 650 RPMs - perhaps the idle is not set properly and the engine is in that weird lower RPM harmonic range? Again, any help on this would be appreciated!

Regards

Terry

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.