BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, just bought this 05 X3 about 2 months ago. Been doing the usual preventative maintenance but we've had one re occurring issue, sometimes totally at random the car won't start. It will turn over but not fire up. The solution seems to be pumping the gas pedal will get the vehicle started, sometimes resulting in a rough idle but not always, but its a constant aggravation. We did run seafoam through the car and intake before doing the tune up. Things we have done and still suffering the same issue:

1. All fluids and filters have been changed and flushed (trans fluid and filter, front and rear diff, brake fluid, air and cabin filters)
2. MAF has been cleaned, not replaced though.
3. Spark plugs (single prong NGK)
4. The usual cooling system overhaul (exp tank, thermostat, coolant, water pump)

It appears to have the original battery in it. I am at a total loss. Like I said, it will run fine for weeks at a time then one day it will decide not to start without pumping the gas pedal. ANY advice or help would be great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for some quick replies guys. Want to start by answering some questions:

1. No check engine lights or codes have been thrown.
2. It is an M54 engine, in my previous 325xi I experienced starter failure and this doesn't seem like the same thing. To be clear it turns over when this happens, just doesn't actually start.
3. I would like to start with a fuel filter but I swear this doesn't have one or its built in to the fuel pump. I've checked on several of my "go to" sites for BMW parts and a fuel filter is not listed.
4. We've only run premium high grade fuel since purchase, now that's not to say the previous owner may have run bad gas.
5. I don't know if/when the coils have ever been replaced but I've been reassured from several BMW techy friends that if its a coil that a code will be thrown.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.