BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, been readign the forum for a while and just registered today. My 05 X3 is slowly starting to show some signs of aging. I have read several posts that have helped my diagnose and identify problems. Thank you all.

Recently, I have noticed that humid, damp and cold conditions are causing the rear hatch to release automatically and constantly if all doors are unlocked. In addition to this annoying little problem, I've noticed that the manual release above the licence plate is not working, nor are the license plate lights.

Anyone experience a similar problem? I thought i read somewhere a similar problem which was resolved by cleaning the contacts and using dielectric grease to avoid it happening again. Only, I'm uncertain as to how or what to access to get to these contacts?

·
Registered
59 Posts
my 07 X3 was doing something similar, each time I removed my key from contact the rear hatch was released multiples time, like 5-6 time in a row, this was driving me crazy, it have drain my battery multiples time because sometime I did not know the hatch was open, making the light go on for a very long time...

Some people said it was related to the key, so I decided to stop using the key to open the rear hatch and was only using the button and eventually the problem went away by magic... (scary, I know)

But the key was not the problem, my theory is that the previous owner was not using the rear hatch button at all and it probably was stuck, with me using it often, it loosened with time, I guess...

When you are using the hatch button, all 4 door need to be unlocked or else it does not work.

Your license plate lights might be burned?

·
Registered
E64 650 & F25 X3 3.0D
64 Posts
I'd check for the ingress of water into/onto the tail-gate switch assembly circuit board, via the number plate lights. After installing a reverse camera/number plate light into one of the number plate light recesses and having to repair the wiring connection to the circuit board, if water was to get between the terminals or on the circuit board it could cause the intermittent opening issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts