BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the dreaded 2 broken bolts on my car. Its not leaking (maybe a drop a day.). I have the gasket and bolts to replace everything, im just worried about removing the reinstalling the valvetronic motor. Has anyone done this? If so - should I be worried? Can I screw up the engine by removing the valvetronic? The rest of the process seems pretty straight forward, its that part that worries me.

any help that anyone can provide will be much appreciated.
You can reply to this post of just email me directly at [email protected]

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
I have the dreaded 2 broken bolts on my car. Its not leaking (maybe a drop a day.). I have the gasket and bolts to replace everything, im just worried about removing the reinstalling the valvetronic motor. Has anyone done this? If so - should I be worried? Can I screw up the engine by removing the valvetronic? The rest of the process seems pretty straight forward, its that part that worries me.

Has anyone contacted you yet? If not, I will post later.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not yet. Some guy sent me some pics from his phone from the bentley repair guide, but didnt say anything about screwing up the engine. If its easier to just remove the bolts and put new ones in maybe i can do that? Any help would be great.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts

OK, some questions. First you are talking about cylinder head bolts, right? Did you get them from BMW? Is the gasket you are referring to the cylinder head gasket or the valve cover gasket.
How were you planning on removing the broken off bolt ends? Do you have all the special tools you will need to do the job? Do you have a good illustrated manual to follow? Do you have a torque wrench which can torque to angles, as well as foot pounds? Do you know what "torque to yield" means?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, some questions. First you are talking about cylinder head bolts, right? Did you get them from BMW? Is the gasket you are referring to the cylinder head gasket or the valve cover gasket.
How were you planning on removing the broken off bolt ends? Do you have all the special tools you will need to do the job? Do you have a good illustrated manual to follow? Do you have a torque wrench which can torque to angles, as well as foot pounds? Do you know what "torque to yield" means?
Its the valve gasket cover bolts. I got the recommended kit from BMW and new aluminum bolts for the 06. I have all the tools and several step by step guides from various forums, but dont have a manual. The steps for the job are pretty easy to follow they are as follows.

Tools:
3/8 rachet
reverse torx socket set. Need about 3 different sizes so buy a set.
torx socket set need 2 sizes
screwdriver
10mm socket
6 and 3 inch extentions
swivel attachment
valve cover gasket
new valve cover bolts

*plan for around 4 hours
*Remove bmw engine cover
*Remove all plastic by the microfilter including the base
*remove the passager side strut bar
*locate the 6 coils packs
*pull up on the black tabs on the coils to release the wires
*pull the coil packs out
*unbolt the black wire holder, then remove it completly from the wires and move the wires to the side.
*remember where the grounding strap goes, there is only 1
*you do not need to remove the spark plugs
*unbolt and remove the round valvetronic thing(lol) in the middle of the valve cover 2 bolts on top 1 bolt below
*unsnap the crackcase vent hose on the back side of the cover
*unbolt then unsnap all the fuel injector wiring and move to the side
*remove all the valve cover bolts..rear ones are a royal pain in the ass
*wiggle the valve cover out--another royal pain in the ass
*remove old gasket
*clean off the valve cover and the head where the valve cover sits
*put the 2 piece valve cover on
*put all the junk back together using 89 in tq

- I have separate instructions from the Bentley manual on how to remove the valvetronic. I just would like to know if there is a chance of screwing up the engine while putting it back on or should I not even bother with the valve gasket and just reverse out the broken bolts and place 2 new ones in their place.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
Its the valve gasket cover bolts. I got the recommended kit from BMW and new aluminum bolts for the 06. I have all the tools and several step by step guides from various forums, but dont have a manual. The steps for the job are pretty easy to follow they are as follows.
[snip]
- I have separate instructions from the Bentley manual on how to remove the valvetronic. I just would like to know if there is a chance of screwing up the engine while putting it back on or should I not even bother with the valve gasket and just reverse out the broken bolts and place 2 new ones in their place.
Well suddenly this job just got a heck of a lot easier!:thumbup:

Yes you can do it and should not worry to excess. If you're ambitious I suggest you pull the cover and replace the gasket. Go a step at a time and don't sweat the valvetronic gear. Yes, it is a critical component -and expensive- but you are not really messing with it anyway.
Having the cover off will make it easier to get out the broken screws, but don't be too surprised if more break when you are removing them. You'll be replacing them all anyway. Smart move getting the aluminum screws from BMW. Be very careful to not overtighten them, and go around three times while tightening, making each screw a little tighter each time. That way one screw doesn't take the entire load of compressing the seal.
This is a great job for a beginner and you should have no problems. When done, be proud of yourself, you've accomplished a real repair.

·
Bimmerdex 7.4!
11,164 Posts
I haven't, but my techs have. You are just removing the stepper motor (a motor which makes precise, repeatable movements) and then reinstalling it. You just have to index it properly when you put it back in position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The exact directions are as follows:
Disconnect (-) cable from battery

1. gently screw valvetronic motor in clockwise direction until you feel resistance of the eccentric shaft stop.
2.remove valvetronic motor fasteners and valvetronic motor support bracket fastener
3.gentley screw valvetronic motor in counterclockwise direction while sliding motor out of cylinder head cover

reinstalling is reverse of removal

This is what I for taking it off. When you reinstall it do you have any "look outs"

Thanks again

·
Registered
7 Posts
anyone willing to give their 2 cents...
I just finished this job on my 2006 325i and now the car turns over but will not start

usually I try to figure out if my problem is spark, fuel, or timing... but on tis car I don't know where to start

help

thanks in advance
brant

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.