BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove an 06 525i auto sport and 06 530i auto sport back to back. Frankly, I could not really feel the extra 40 hp the 06 530i has on the 06 525i. The 525i seemed to have more than adequate power for day to day driving, and pleasently surprised me, as the thought the 530i would feel substantially faster. However, the 530i did seem to have slightly better handling, maybe due to the 18" wheels. Anyone else have similiar impressions?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
KickinA said:
So I drove an 06 525i auto sport and 06 530i auto sport back to back. Frankly, I could not really feel the extra 40 hp the 06 530i has on the 06 525i. The 525i seemed to have more than adequate power for day to day driving, and pleasently surprised me, as the thought the 530i would feel substantially faster. However, the 530i did seem to have slightly better handling, maybe due to the 18" wheels. Anyone else have similiar impressions?

thanks
Try 545. You'll feel the difference. All sixes are similarly underpowered.
 

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
KickinA said:
So I drove an 06 525i auto sport and 06 530i auto sport back to back. Frankly, I could not really feel the extra 40 hp the 06 530i has on the 06 525i. The 525i seemed to have more than adequate power for day to day driving, and pleasently surprised me, as the thought the 530i would feel substantially faster. However, the 530i did seem to have slightly better handling, maybe due to the 18" wheels. Anyone else have similiar impressions?

thanks
Where on the RPM curve does the extra hp appear and where in the RPM curve were you driving it? I'd expect you to notice the torque more than the hp unless you really drove the heck out of them.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
:thumbup:

So by that analogy, the 545i and 550i cars won't feel that much different either!

;)

Seriously, you should be able to notice 30-40 hp or whatever the torque difference is...you really should.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Ågent99 said:
:thumbup:

So by that analogy, the 545i and 550i cars won't feel that much different either!

;)

Seriously, you should be able to notice 30-40 hp or whatever the torque difference is...you really should.
If I remember correctly BMW estimated 0-60 mph for the original 745i to be 5.9 sec. Same source now gives 750i slightly better 0-60 time of 5.8. May not be noticable. Note also that the new 750/550 engine has larger (+0.4 liter) displacement. 525 and 530 are both 3 liter engines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was not able to blast both cars from a standing start as the ground was wet. What I did do was red line both the 525i and 530i on the same stretch of road. The 530i did seem to have a bit more oomph when transitioning from 1st to 2nd gear. However, the difference was not huge. I think most people would be quite satisfied with the 525i. I'm planning to get the 530i sport, as I want the 18" rims. My point is that I was very pleasently surprised by the speed and power of the 525i.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
and the prrrrice is nice..

KickinA said:
I was not able to blast both cars from a standing start as the ground was wet. What I did do was red line both the 525i and 530i on the same stretch of road. The 530i did seem to have a bit more oomph when transitioning from 1st to 2nd gear. However, the difference was not huge. I think most people would be quite satisfied with the 525i. I'm planning to get the 530i sport, as I want the 18" rims. My point is that I was very pleasently surprised by the speed and power of the 525i.
what you say is very interesting and argues in favor of my point which is this: the real value if there is any to be found in the bimmer line is in the smaller engines. 325 and 530. everyone (myself included) plays this macho horespower game. the truth is you dont need it. the 525i is a better value than the 530, or 545i.
 

·
Mr. Registered User
Joined
·
123 Posts
wagonman said:
everyone (myself included) plays this macho horespower game. the truth is you dont need it. the 525i is a better value than the 530, or 545i.
I beg to differ!

If you comparatively option a 525, 530 to 545i's level, you'll see that only a few thousand dollars separate the 3. If you factor in the resale value into equation, the gap will narrow still.

Granted, not everyone need 300+ HP, but the difference between I-6 and V-8 is astonishing. Coming from 328i to 545i really made me appreciate the efforless hill climbing, SUV-passing..etc ability of the V8. And if you choose SMG like I did, then the price narrows even more because it's a free option for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do not doubt that the V8 545i would pack a substantial wallop and feel much faster than the 525i or 530i. I never drove a 545i before, but I have driven an Infiniti M45, and it felt significantly faster than the 280hp M35 I also drove. The fastest thing I have driven in the past 6mos is an Subaru STI, and that thing is a just crazy fast, yet I still felt I was in control. However, the 525i and 530i do not feel significantly different in terms of speed and power. I'm leaning towards a 530i, but I would save more money by going with a 525i.
 

·
Donkeybike?
Joined
·
3,680 Posts
HP numbers are good for marketing and sales... what you actually feel when you drive on a day to day basis is the torque, not the HP.

Since both the new 325i and 330i & 525i and 530i share the same 3 liter inline six engines, I'm not surprised that the difference between the two is not too noticeable.
 

·
Mr. Registered User
Joined
·
123 Posts
Hey KickinA,

My point is, if you want the 525i over 530i, you should considere what options you want into the equation. for example, Xenon will be standard in 530i but its a $800 option on 525i. The real difference in engine after all considered may only be $2,000.

BTW, the smoothness of V8 masks a lot of speed, so the V6 may not feel slower. But the torque of V8 is just too apparent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok, I just drove an auto 06 525i and 06 530i again, but this time on the highway. Frankly driving around town, I could not really feel the difference between the 06 525i and the 06 530i. However in the highway, the 530i does feel significanly more powerful. The 06 525i felt sort of sluggish on the the highway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
isnt bmw known for their 6s?

speedracerf4i said:
I beg to differ!

If you comparatively option a 525, 530 to 545i's level, you'll see that only a few thousand dollars separate the 3. If you factor in the resale value into equation, the gap will narrow still.

Granted, not everyone need 300+ HP, but the difference between I-6 and V-8 is astonishing. Coming from 328i to 545i really made me appreciate the efforless hill climbing, SUV-passing..etc ability of the V8. And if you choose SMG like I did, then the price narrows even more because it's a free option for me.
isnt bmw known for their silky smooth six cylinder engines? if one cares at all about gas mileage, doesnt the 530 make the most sense? i know, i know it is not as powerful as the 545. i cant imagine anyone has passing difficulties with the new 530 engine.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
wagonman said:
isnt bmw known for their silky smooth six cylinder engines? if one cares at all about gas mileage, doesnt the 530 make the most sense? i know, i know it is not as powerful as the 545. i cant imagine anyone has passing difficulties with the new 530 engine.
I've owned a 2001 530i for 56,000 glorious miles (and counting) and I've found it just about the perfect vehicle. It is a good blend of power, handling, and fuel economy. It is simply wonderful to take it on a family vacation across the United States. I get 20 city and 30-32 highway. Too bad I do mostly city driving.... :(

However, that all said, I just picked up a wonderful 545i. We'll see how the fuel economy affects me on this one. It is so darn powerful that I can hardly stand it. Do I need that much power? Probably not but it sure is fun at time. Wife and I are planning a nice drive to Canada in September in it.... :D
 

·
Hofmeister kink ftw!1!!1!
Joined
·
1,482 Posts
I've owned my 545i for less than 2 months and definitely LOVE it. As I've posted elsewhere, I had a 525i as a loaner for a day and was pleasently surprised with it. Yes, I could be "happy" with a 525i or 530i. The 525i was NOT "underpowered."

I decided to lease my 2005, and the 545i cost me less than a 530i, due to incentives.

Also, when you look at the standard equipment, I do believe that the 545i is a better "value" than the 530i in view of the relatively small cost increase. That said, if someone does not want to spend the extra money under any circumstance, then that doesn't make a difference and they should get a 525i or 530i.
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top