BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used BMW 750Li 2006 with only 19K kms.

When I first test drive the vehicle, it was very smooth with no transmission issue. I asked them to give me an update for the IDRIVE system. After that, there are issues in the transmission (1-2 upshift and 3-2 downshift jerk).

Took it back to the dealer, have them test drive the car. They took the car in for a week and here are the things they did with the car:

1- Transmission upgrade
1 attempt: Unable - Software Crash
Contacted BMW North America for solution
Re-do
Still Crash
Replace one of the control units

2- Reset the seat belt faulty warning message

3- Replace the air intake (this haven't been done yet since they have to special order the part)

Took the car back from the dealer, drove for the 5 days. The transmission jerk is still there but not as often as before.

I was wondering if any one has experienced this kind of issues (after transmission upgrade). Should I ask them to check into things such as: torque converter or even ask them to replace the transmission.

Thank you very much

·
Registered
203 Posts
Replace the transmission. The upgrade just buys you time, the problem does not really go away. I had the same problem. The dealer installed the software and it worked for three weeks and the jerking was back again.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just for curiosity, how did u make the dealer to replace your transmission? I heard that they don't just replace it right away on your request. Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
hey you might want to try to reset it by pressing down on the gas pedal for 23 seconds and then start the car. make sure you hold down the gas pedal while the computer is on and your is engine off.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I just bought a used BMW 750Li 2006 with only 19K kms.

When I first test drive the vehicle, it was very smooth with no transmission issue. I asked them to give me an update for the IDRIVE system. After that, there are issues in the transmission (1-2 upshift and 3-2 downshift jerk).

Took it back to the dealer, have them test drive the car. They took the car in for a week and here are the things they did with the car:

1- Transmission upgrade
1 attempt: Unable - Software Crash
Contacted BMW North America for solution
Re-do
Still Crash
Replace one of the control units

2- Reset the seat belt faulty warning message

3- Replace the air intake (this haven't been done yet since they have to special order the part)

Took the car back from the dealer, drove for the 5 days. The transmission jerk is still there but not as often as before.

I was wondering if any one has experienced this kind of issues (after transmission upgrade). Should I ask them to check into things such as: torque converter or even ask them to replace the transmission.

Thank you very much
Welcome.
Your problem is very common. There has been extensive discussion & documentation on this very subject. So much so, that it would be easier for you to take advantage of the search feature & the sticky section. There are literally pages of valuable info that will help you. If, after searching, you still have questions-many of the vets w/ be more than happy to assist you.
btw, this problem is well known @ the dealership, if they are jerking you around(no pun intended) you may need to either escalate or find another dealership.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Just for curiosity, how did u make the dealer to replace your transmission? I heard that they don't just replace it right away on your request. Thanks
The dealer has to go through certain procedures before changing the transmission , however its not the dealer call they have to submit what's called PUMA case to BMWNA and then they tell them what the next step to be done for the repair. however lets say they updated software and problem still exists then then PUMA team tell them the next procedure and so on until all of the band aid fixes are over then they might agree that the transmission failed and need to be replaced with a refurbished one. hope this help.

·
E65/E66 Helper Man.......
1,511 Posts
agreed... the dealer cannot do anything until taking appropiate steps via a puma case... just be sure to keep all documentation handy, as you may need it in the future if the problem is not properly repaired... as a last resort, if the puma case does not help you may want to try and call bmwna direct... they are usually very helpful and will make sure the customer gets the right treatment/repair....

·
Registered
98 Posts
Jolting/shaking/jerking issue

I took my new to me '02 745iL, 59k, in to dealer for routine service, one of the recommendations was to REPLACE THE TORQUE CONVERTER! I couldn't believe it. Tech found fault code 4F53. Following this I paid real close attention to how the TC was behaving and it definitely is faulty. Most of the time it doesn't lock up; and I get the jolting/shaking at low speed exactly as described in the attached Service Bulletin. (Found the bulletin in my BMW TIS program.)

Am going to visit the dealer again today and discuss this repair and explore any kind of goodwill BMW will extend. My argument is that this defect could have well existed while the car was still under warranty and also, a major component failure like this is why I left Mercedes and came back to BMW. Dealer quoted $3009.00 to repair.

FaultCode4F53.pdf

1 - 8 of 8 Posts