BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 that has developed a rear hatch rattle. The hatch is closed and locked, but the rattle sounds like the hatch is still open or hatch window is loose. It does it mostly at highway speeds 70- 80 MPH.

Anyone have a similiar problem? any adjustments etc.

Thanks

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,692 Posts
check to make sure the spare tire is secured all the way down.

it could also be the hatch cover (pull out cover) remove it and drive and see if the rattle goes away.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Not sure if this is the same but on my 04 we had a similar noise (one time the door was ajar)
but any other time its been shut. I think mine is a slight knock or rattle in the ventilation system as I think I only hear it when the fan is off. Its very faint but it is a tough noise to narrow down the local.

·
Tar Heel Faithful
14,127 Posts
Are y'all sure there's nothing in the trunk area that could be causing the rattling? No screws or loose items in the deep right well, nothin' rollin around?

·
Drink the koolaid or else
2,692 Posts
once again.... it's possible AZN, but this was part of the reason I had my 06 TAd.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
My "trunk" rattle turned out to be a loose tool in the toolbox. It had come adrift from the detents and was rattling around at speed and on rough roads. Pushed it back in the detent and rattle gone. I hope yours is as easy to fix!

·
Casual Fan
132 Posts
The rear latch in my '08 X3 rattles but its somewhat drowned out by the ticking sound that comes from the engine into the cabin. I assume these are just features of the superior engineering that go along with the horrific transmission, so I'm trying to live with them until I have a chance to get to the dealer and be told its my imagination.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I realize this thread is old but I thought I would bump it to see if any else has this problem. The rear cargo door cover/plastic thingy/has the handles your suppose to use to shut the rear door, keeps popping loose and rattling. I can hit it on both sides and get it to pop back into place but it just rattles loose again. Any ideas?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Welcome; that rear panel is held on with the two screws you can see in the hand grips, and a few plastic fasteners spread around inside the panel. These
fasteners are friction fit. If they have become stripped, as it sounds to me, replacement should fix the problem.
I've only had the panel off once, and the fasteners held OK after, but I can see after 2 or 3 times of taking the panel off, they would work lose and
need replacement. Has your panel been removed previously for burnt out bulbs or anything?

·
Bleed blue and white
294 Posts
ASIDE from loose tools :rofl: the etiology for the rear rattle in my 2007 X3 was undefinable.

The cargo cover squeaked incessantly (only in warm weather) and the cargo hatch SEEMED tight. I never found out what the noise was and the dealer couldn't either it was driving me batty :mad: but...not my problem anymore.

My '09 is somewhere in the Atlantic right now.

·
about the mini part....
1,085 Posts
Mine did this especially living in an area with rough roads. Just, I'm not kidding, hit the plastic on the tailgate around the edges going completely around the perimeter. Then put some pressure on it. It always took care of it for me. That top section around the window is usually the culprit.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine does it if I don't slam the door closed. It's not a rattle but more like the glass was closed totally. It's really annoying since I don't feel like slamming the door all the time. Specially if the kids are sleeping...

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
That top section around the window is usually the culprit.
I have a 2006 X3 with 23K miles on it, and it's still under warranty. I brought it in for this exact issue this morning. I also think it's caused by the top section of black plastic above the window. We'll see...

-James
Seattle, WA

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I have a 2006 X3 with 23K miles on it, and it's still under warranty. I brought it in for this exact issue this morning. I also think it's caused by the top section of black plastic above the window. We'll see...

-James
Seattle, WA
Yes, it was caused by the trim piece at the top of the rear window. Other than that, my X3 has been relatively squeak and rattle free!

·
Registered
18 Posts
our rattle!

if i sit in the backseat behind the driver, while x is moving, it sounds like it is directly behind my left ear. sound familiar? should i also be thinking about this door trim?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts