BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, new to the forum. Have been reading online for help but figured it wouldn't hurt to see if anyone has any other advice on this.

I recently sold my 94 325i of 8 yrs and bought an '06 x3 with 76k mi on it. I've had it for a month and it's been great (carfax shows it's had regular maintenance at Baron BMW in Overland Park, KS - waiting on them to send me the actual records they have on file).
I had the oil changed this past Saturday -checked the dipstick before leaving Valvoline and everything was good.

This morning I left for work and within a min or two of driving, the 'service engine soon' lit up. I immediately pulled over and checked all fluids to find that the dipstick wasn't even reading any oil. I ran over to the closest gas station and put a quart in (while on the phone with the manager at Valvoline, not too happy to pay almost 100 dollars for an oil change to find I'm running low). One quart and it's showing full now. Drove to work, let it sit for 8 hours, checked the levels again and it's showing full BUT the service engine light is still on.

I tried the to reset it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwEDfQKtVBo) but the service light is still on. :(
I plan on taking it to a nearby O'Reillys or Autozone to use their code reader but we're currently under a tornado warning (sirens are going off every so often for the past hour) so I want to keep my baby inside for now. Wanted to see if there are any other little tricks or ideas that I can check out in the meanwhile.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Check the Owner's Manual - the SES light or CEL isn't triggered by a low oil level (separate warning light for that).

Two separate issues (probably):

1. Low oil level - don't know what oil Valvoline would have put in, or whether they know about dealing with BMW oil filters.
Maybe they have not tightened down the oil filter cap correctly? That oil has to have gone somehwere.
Reset of the Service reminder is just that - doesn't turn off a CEL. You need a scan tool for that.

2. SES light/CEL - an autoparts place free check may not help much. At best, it will give you a broad indication of where to drill down on.

The only way the two issues could be connected is if you have a problem with the infamous oil separator/CCV.
Then you could be burning oil and running roughly.
That is low miles for an '06, might be indicative of lots of short trips that can cause premature CCV failure.

More likely you just have a problem with the EVAP system, or a crack in the intake boot, a sensor showing a value out of expected range, etc.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.