BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Take a look at the below photos. Both vehicles have the sports package. One is a manual and one is a automatic. The steering wheels look different. The auto has the bump outs at 10 oclock and 2 oclock on the wheel while the manual doesnt. Also the automatic has breaks in the leather wrap in different sections while the manual doesnt.

Any ideas????????

Attachments

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
The wheel on the right (the one with the thumb bumps) is the newer version.. They made the switch mid-year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I figured it out. The auto is a M-sport wheel. Does anyone know if that is something that could be added as a option when purchasing new?

·
Flying monkey herder
8,166 Posts
I think I figured it out. The auto is a M-sport wheel. Does anyone know if that is something that could be added as a option when purchasing new?
aftermarket add on. I have one that i got on ebay, about 300

·
detour in Ingolstadt
3,180 Posts
US models built 3/2005 through 7/2005 have the thin sport steering wheel. From 8/2005 production onward, they have the thicker wheel with the grips. The 2006 model was an 18 month production run. The early builds were really 2005.5 models but weren't called that.

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Doesn't look like the M-sport wheel to me in the pic - no M logo, no perforate leather. Looks like the older ZSP steering wheel, as i noted above. The car with wheel on the left was probably a summer 05 build.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Doesn't look like the M-sport wheel to me in the pic - no M logo, no perforate leather. Looks like the older ZSP steering wheel, as i noted above. The car with wheel on the left was probably a summer 05 build.
+1 both Sponge and West^2 are correct. A pre Sept. 05 vs post-Sept. 1, 05 build.

·
Registered
375 Posts
yup one is newer model and the other is older.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts