BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my 2006 X3 m sport about a month ago.

One of my back tires has a tear in it so I took it to the tire shop. We had seen that the front tires were 235/50/18 and the backs were 255/45/18 but didn't think anything of it. But with AWD the tires are supposed to be the same...but the back wheels are set up for 255/45/18. It seems like the previous owner put the wider tires in the back and replaced the wheels for them to fit, should I get the 2 different sizes and just replace the back tires? Does it matter that my car is an M sport package and that's why the tires are different?? HELP.

Any advice on what my best option would be?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
My 2008 M-Sport has the 20 inch "summer" wheels and different sizes front to back as well. Some searching here should show if they were correct for your year.

I had to replace one of the fronts, and fortunately found a used one of the same type and with about the same remaining tread on eBay (a seller in Florida, for about $100, if I'm remembering correctly).

·
Registered
4,147 Posts
MSport X3 Staggered Wheel & Tire Setup

I just bought my 2006 X3 m sport about a month ago.

One of my back tires has a tear in it so I took it to the tire shop. We had seen that the front tires were 235/50/18 and the backs were 255/45/18 but didn't think anything of it. But with AWD the tires are supposed to be the same...but the back wheels are set up for 255/45/18. It seems like the previous owner put the wider tires in the back and replaced the wheels for them to fit, should I get the 2 different sizes and just replace the back tires? Does it matter that my car is an M sport package and that's why the tires are different?? HELP.

Any advice on what my best option would be?
The tire size is correct if your car is a MSport X3 ... Your rims should also be slightly different sizes (front compared to rear) ... I recommend you have work done at a shop that is BMW experienced - whether it is tires or anything else. Not all cars are created equal and not every mechanic / tech know everything about all of them.

Here's a screen shot at TireRack.com showing the correct optional tire sizes for your year X3 with Sport option.

Another informative url is:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select

Use your VIN to look at various parts / assemblies for your SAV.

And if you don't know about the options factory installed equipment on your X3 enter the last 7 characters of your VIN here:

http://bimmer.work/

Enjoy!!

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Look in the owners manual and L/F door jamb and see what tires are listed. You can go to tire rack and look up your tires and see what they list.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Miss having AzNMpower32 around to set the record straight with great clarity on factory specs.

But I think for OP's 2006, the 18" staggered option didn't require a wider rim than the fronts for a modest 10mm. stagger.
You just need to make sure that for those 2 tire sizes the overall diameter of them is very close. If it's not it means a previous owner has departed from BMW's choice of 18" staggered setup.

(When the optional 19" staggered setup was introduced that clearly needed a wider rim in the rear to support those fat 275's. There never was a factory 20" setup AFAIK for the E83. Just owners doing their own thing.)

See: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6580421&postcount=13

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
(When the optional 19" staggered setup was introduced that clearly needed a wider rim in the rear to support those fat 275's. There never was a factory 20" setup AFAIK for the E83.
I think you are correct -- mine are 19's. I saw 20s of the same design on eBay as I was wondering about spares.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts