BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone this is my first post so please forgive me for it being sloppy. I own a 2007 bmw 328i convertible that was in a front end accident after about a year of me owning. I just finished replacing all the broken parts and finishing up the front end. I took it for a test drive and noticed a weird clicking coming from the engine or coils. If you look closely what I assume to be oil is flooding my spark plug area which is bad news. From the visible areas I see this in about 3 cylinders. I haven’t noticed this before although I haven’t been looking at my engine too much until now. Does anybody have any idea why I’m gathering oil down there? I was thinking a leaking oil cap but I must be leaking a lot for that to be the case. Thank you all any help is appreciated.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Rim Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Automotive design

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is it possible someone spilled a bunch of oil when changing it / topping it off?
I would clean it up as best you can and see if it returns.
Hi thanks for the reply! I have done all the service to to car and repairs I haven’t brought it to anybody for work to be done. So I’m thinking I have a leak somewhere because I use a funnel for oil. That could be a possibility though maybe I just messed up and didn’t realize. I have smoke coming from the passenger side and oil where the valve cover gasket is. This has been ongoing since I got the car though. I have never noticed oil in the spot it is in now. I would just rather it be a bad seal on the oil cap than to replace the whole valve cover gasket! Cleaning with a q tip and going to start it back up and see what happens. Might inspect the spark plugs and coil packs for any oil also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it possible someone spilled a bunch of oil when changing it / topping it off?
Dry as a bone on the coil packs and spark plugs so I don’t think it’s a valve cover gasket issue. Starting to really think the oil cap as there’s residue around it. Going to dry it all out and start it back up and watch for leaks.
White Automotive tire Light Vehicle Rim

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Valvetronic motor “football” gasket certainly looks like it’s the source of the leak.

Via the interwebs
I’d say this.
Recently did the valve cover gasket (kit) on my sons 328i, which included the valvetronic motor seal.
Oil was leaking onto the exhaust manifold and burning.

Once I got it a apart I know that valvetronic motor seal was leaking but not sure if the valve cover gasket was, but did it anyway just in case and since I already bought it.

Doing just that valvetronic motor seal is much easier than the valve cover gasket, as you have to remove a lot more stuff to get the valve cover out, and the valve cover can be very frustrating to get back in place while keeping the gasket seated in place.

However, if you do replace the motor seal just make sure to put the valvetronic motor in service mode (very easy) before removing it, YouTube will show you how.
Or you can cause some damage, spring loaded.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts