BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some background info:
Changed out downpipes and replaced 02's on the car. When I went to go and fire up the car it started up immediately and ran fine for about 2 minutes so I turned it off and went inside to relax. I go outside to go start the car again and car just keeps cranking and cranking but will not start. Tried charging car all the way and starting still nothing. At this point I'm frustrated and wanted a quick fix so I started throwing parts at it (I know bad decision on my part but lesson learned for future things). Took the car into dealership and they tested fuel pressure and some other things and said they were able to get the car started 2 times but said it fell on it's face, now I don't know how they got it to start but it at least gave me some form of hope that the car isn't bricked and completely done and there's still light at the end of the tunnel to get this thing up and running again. Dealer didn't really find out what's wrong but told me to fix some things to eliminate them being a problem and said that I seemed capable of fixing it myself. So they gave me a parts list and my car back and now I'm here. I'll be listing the things I've already replaced and my mods. Also I had a JB4 (Piggyback ECU Tune) installed at the time and when the car wasn't starting I was not able to access the menu's through the steering wheel column but I have now disconnected it and also flashed the car back to a stock tune on MHD to eliminate any factor that they were causing the issue.
Things Replaced:
MSD81
Positive battery cable
DME power cable to battery
Fuse Panel
Downpipes removed (happened after reinstallation)
02 sensors
Oil Pressure sensor
Mods:
Catless downpipes
Upgraded turbo inlets/outlets
relocated intake
relocated coolant tank
charge pipe
bov
Intercooler
precision raceworks ignition coils (Also removed these and replaced with working stock injection coils in case these were the issue)
JB4 (Also removed, piggyback ecu tune)
MHD (also flashed back to stock map to remove this being part of the equation)
Extra Notes:
I have just installed bimmergeeks tools which comes with all the coding and diagnostic software anyone could dream of. Plugged in my computer to the car and had used INPA to diagnose. So far I have pulled the codes at first plug in, I cleared them then also pulled the new codes after clearing them. I have tried starting the car after clearing codes with INPA and still same issue crank no start.
Where should I start with diagnosing? fairly new to using INPA. I'll attach the codes from INPA.

Attachments

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,301 Posts
Dealer? wow. Thats money pissed away

Any chance the crank position sensor has been disturbed?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dealer? wow. Thats money pissed away

Any chance the crank position sensor has been disturbed?
Crank position sensor has not been touched that I know of. Would the crank position sensor be a cause of a no start? How would I diagnose this is the issue?
And yeah dealer literally took my car for a few days got some recalls done which was nice but basically didn’t get me anywhere but $300 less.

·
Registered
256 Posts
93B2 - MRS: Safety battery terminal
2E8E - BSD, intelligent battery sensor (IBS) missing

Seems like it might be intentionally not starting because it looks like the car has been in an accident. It isn't giving any faults due to sensors, other than the tire pressure monitors and lights.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
93B2 - MRS: Safety battery terminal
2E8E - BSD, intelligent battery sensor (IBS) missing

Seems like it might be intentionally not starting because it looks like the car has been in an accident. It isn't giving any faults due to sensors, other than the tire pressure monitors and lights.
Car hasn’t been in any accidents that I know of, is there any way to check for this or reset the car?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I don't these things that well, but just thinking that if the car is throwing faults about something, it would be worth digging into it. From the attached description:

Depending on the severity of an accident incurred, the MRS control module will provide a
signal to the BST which will disconnect the B+ cable going to the Starter & Alternator. In
the event that the BST is activated, power will continue to be supplied to the rear power
distribution box (a fused/protected power distributor) to allow activation of all other vehicle
systems (such as hazard lights, power locks, power windows, Engine Electronics etc.)

So if the IBS and MRS are missing, I'm not sure how the computers will react. The quote appears to be saying that the starter and alternator will be disconnected. I don't think yours is, but the fact that software in the engine's DME thinks there are error with the MRS (because you disconnected it) might lead it to do wrong things, like cut off spark to prevent an explosion.

I might try cobbling your IBS back together, clear the faults, try starting it again and see what faults remain.

Attachments

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,260 Posts
... I go outside to go start the car again and car just keeps cranking and cranking but will not start... dealership and they tested fuel pressure and some other things and said they were able to get the car started 2 times but said it fell on it's face [Stalled?]...
I have just installed bimmergeeks tools which comes with all the coding and diagnostic software anyone could dream of. Plugged in my computer to the car and had used INPA to diagnose. So far I have pulled the codes at first plug in, I cleared them then also pulled the new codes after clearing them. I have tried starting the car after clearing codes with INPA and still same issue crank no start...
Since you have INPA installed & working, time to actually DIAGNOSE the issue. INPA can do a LOT more than just read fault codes.

I will attach some sample INPA screens, explain HOW to display those on your computer (menu sequence to view that screen) and suggest "next steps". It's a PROCESS, so you have to approach it a "step-at-a-time", in a logical sequence and try to learn what INPA can do as well as how the various systems work. I realize that you know a fair amount about your car and how things work, but for the sake of ALL of us (including me ;-) learning something, I will cover the things to do, and WHY, for a novice.

First, the 93B2 BST code does NOT mean that the Battery Safety Terminal has "blown". If it HAD, you would have NO Starter Cranking (NO power to Starter or Alternator). That (along with IBS damage) means "Attila the Hun" changed your battery, and damaged wiring in the process. ;)

If the Starter Cranks but the engine does NOT fire (usually, but sometimes it does for a few seconds), there is some intermittent issue with (1) fuel delivery to rail, (2) DME timing/ activation of Injector Pulse or Spark, or (3) Power to the DME. So I would START by checking Fuel Pump (EKPS) Activation and operation, and then Power to the DME (activation of the DME Main Relay).

I don't quickly see any indication of your build month/year for your 2007 335i E92 with N54. MANY changes were made effective 3/1/2007 in the middle of the 2007 model run, such as location of the DME Main Relay, fuses and power supply to Injectors and Coils, etc, so please provide your Last-7 Characters of VIN so I can provide the CORRECT wiring diagrams & component location for YOUR vehicle (from ISTA). Also, you mention you have MSD81 installed instead of original MSD80 DME. Has the vehicle EVER run properly (continuously) with the MSD81 DME?

Fuel Pump Activation:
Attached is INPA Screen for testing Fuel Pump operation, or Activating the Pump. You can simply open this screen and OBSERVE fuel pump operation under DME Control, WITHOUT "Over-riding" DME control or "Activating" the pump. OR, you can click on either F1, or F2 on the Task Bar at bottom of screen and then select the pump Delivery Rate (Liter/Hr) or Speed (PWM) desired, and observe Pump RPM, Volts, Amps, & Temp.

To access that Screen, at the Opening "Script Selection" box of INPA, where you selected "Functional Jobs" to access the screens you have attached, INSTEAD, click on Engine in Left Listbox, and then "Fuel Pump EKP" at bottom of Right Listbox. That should open the EKP Main Menu. Select < F6 > Activate, and the attached screen should appear.

DME Main Relay (K6300) Activation:
The Second attached INPA screen is for Terminal 87, DME Main Relay, Activation. That relay provides the primary power to the DME, and via this screen, you can determine if the relay is being activated when the Ignition is turned on (circle should be filled, and Battery Voltage should be displayed). My screen shows conditions with engine running so voltage is 14V+.

To access that screen, at opening INPA screen (after selecting E90), click on Engine in left Listbox, and then N54 (MSD80/MSD81) in Right Listbox. At the DME Main Menu, click F6 Component Triggering. A Menu for Activations will appear. YOUR menu for MSD80/81 may differ from mine. My MSV80 (N52) Menu at that point has TWO groups of Activations you can choose, and the Terminal 87 Activation is in the 2nd group (F2 - Activations 2). It is the 1st activation in the 2nd Group. You can't hurt anything by clicking on menu items to find the correct screen for Activating Terminal 87/ DME Main Relay on your N54. Just don't actually "Activate" anything in one of the screens until you have read the page, particularly any conditions at the TOP of page, and understand what you are doing.

On my MSV80 for N52, the Terminal 87 Activation screen is accessed via the following Menu Sequence: DME > F6 Activations/Triggering > F2 Group 2 > F1 Terminal 87 DME Main Relay.

INPA is a very powerful diagnostic tool, so don't hesitate to view screens and learn what is available, and ask questions/ post "finds" here. I would suggest saving screens as jpg image files which you can later view to recall what a particular screen shows, and attach here so we can ALL see it (easier than pdf). I attach a "Tutorial" pdf that explains HOW to Save and Attach jpg files of INPA or ISTA screens.
0 F6 Screen when press F6; Menu Below on Task Bar.jpg
2 F1 Term87 On-Off; Term87 Voltage.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,260 Posts
I would suggest ALWAYS viewing and saving ALL Fault Details BEFORE clearing the fault codes. In this case, the SEVEN (7) Fault Codes in the DME as of 4:19 PM yesterday suggest issues with the DME Main Relay (Activation?), Fuel Pump (at least control), and Inputs to DME from Crankshaft Sensor, and Camshaft Sensors. ANY of those things could cause the "Crank/No Start" issue, but taken together, they point to the DME Main Relay as something that could cause ALL of those codes, secondary to lack of proper DME Main Relay function.

Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definitions for each:
N54 P0016 2A9A DME: Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, synchronization MSD80
3100 DME: Boost-pressure control, deactivation msd80
N54 P0369 2A9F DME: Camshaft sensor, exhaust, synchronization MSD80
2FBE DME: Fuel pressure after engine stop msd80
N54 P0344 2A9E DME: Camshaft sensor, inlet, synchronization MSD80
2ACB DME: DME master relay, activation msd80
2E8E BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Missing msd80

Anyone using INPA should be aware that there is a LOT more to Fault Memory than just reading Hex-codes. "Functional Jobs", in TWO Minutes, will give you ALL Fault Codes saved in ALL Modules, as are seen in the two pdf pages OP attached to Post #1 in this thread. The 4-digit Hex-code, by itself, provides NO diagnostic help, unless one has memorized the Definition.

However, if you:
(A) "Connect to a Module" such as the MSD80/81 DME, and
(B) Select "Read Fault Memory WITH FREEZE FRAME DATA (F3)",
you will get:
1) DEFINITION of the code,
2) Freeze Frame Data (a "snapshot" of system conditions at the moment the code was saved),
3) Mileage when saved,
4) number of times fault has occurred,
5) whether the fault is currently present or not,
6) whether the fault would light a warning light, etc.

I attach an example of such a "Fault Details" screen from my N52 with MSV80 DME. That fault & data has NO applicability to the current issue here, but merely is attached to show the depth of data INPA can provide. You will likely have to translate German to English, but Google Translate is pretty good at that, particularly if you have a working knowledge of the system at issue, and the proper English Technical Terms.

George
1, F4, F1, F3 FSFreezeF.jpg

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,301 Posts
Crank position sensor has not been touched that I know of. Would the crank position sensor be a cause of a no start? How would I diagnose this is the issue?
And yeah dealer literally took my car for a few days got some recalls done which was nice but basically didn’t get me anywhere but $300 less.
I hesitate to step into Geroges excellent advice...but to comment on Crank sensors...

The rotating parts in the engine use 3 or 5 signals to maintain coordination: Crank, Camshat (2 banks, inlet and exhaust, depending on motor)

These signals dont KNOW where they should be, THEY ARE ALL RELATIVE. One singal enters the DME, then the next and thet nex. The DME has to decide if one is valid or bad, based on timing. I have seen a crck signal trip cam sensor errors. And in many cars a bad crank sensor will cause the car to not start.

These can be touchy. On the S62 you need to set it. On others, the spacing is defined by the part but can get jossled. Dirt on a flange can upset. And they can crack and drift, eveniutally the signal is too weak to be detected.

Worth a look on your motor, see if it has been touched, etc

thats all

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Since you have INPA installed & working, time to actually DIAGNOSE the issue. INPA can do a LOT more than just read fault codes.

I will attach some sample INPA screens, explain HOW to display those on your computer (menu sequence to view that screen) and suggest "next steps". It's a PROCESS, so you have to approach it a "step-at-a-time", in a logical sequence and try to learn what INPA can do as well as how the various systems work. I realize that you know a fair amount about your car and how things work, but for the sake of ALL of us (including me ;-) learning something, I will cover the things to do, and WHY, for a novice.

First, the 93B2 BST code does NOT mean that the Battery Safety Terminal has "blown". If it HAD, you would have NO Starter Cranking (NO power to Starter or Alternator). That (along with IBS damage) means "Attila the Hun" changed your battery, and damaged wiring in the process. ;)

If the Starter Cranks but the engine does NOT fire (usually, but sometimes it does for a few seconds), there is some intermittent issue with (1) fuel delivery to rail, (2) DME timing/ activation of Injector Pulse or Spark, or (3) Power to the DME. So I would START by checking Fuel Pump (EKPS) Activation and operation, and then Power to the DME (activation of the DME Main Relay).

I don't quickly see any indication of your build month/year for your 2007 335i E92 with N54. MANY changes were made effective 3/1/2007 in the middle of the 2007 model run, such as location of the DME Main Relay, fuses and power supply to Injectors and Coils, etc, so please provide your Last-7 Characters of VIN so I can provide the CORRECT wiring diagrams & component location for YOUR vehicle (from ISTA). Also, you mention you have MSD81 installed instead of original MSD80 DME. Has the vehicle EVER run properly (continuously) with the MSD81 DME?

Fuel Pump Activation:
Attached is INPA Screen for testing Fuel Pump operation, or Activating the Pump. You can simply open this screen and OBSERVE fuel pump operation under DME Control, WITHOUT "Over-riding" DME control or "Activating" the pump. OR, you can click on either F1, or F2 on the Task Bar at bottom of screen and then select the pump Delivery Rate (Liter/Hr) or Speed (PWM) desired, and observe Pump RPM, Volts, Amps, & Temp.

To access that Screen, at the Opening "Script Selection" box of INPA, where you selected "Functional Jobs" to access the screens you have attached, INSTEAD, click on Engine in Left Listbox, and then "Fuel Pump EKP" at bottom of Right Listbox. That should open the EKP Main Menu. Select < F6 > Activate, and the attached screen should appear.

DME Main Relay (K6300) Activation:
The Second attached INPA screen is for Terminal 87, DME Main Relay, Activation. That relay provides the primary power to the DME, and via this screen, you can determine if the relay is being activated when the Ignition is turned on (circle should be filled, and Battery Voltage should be displayed). My screen shows conditions with engine running so voltage is 14V+.

To access that screen, at opening INPA screen (after selecting E90), click on Engine in left Listbox, and then N54 (MSD80/MSD81) in Right Listbox. At the DME Main Menu, click F6 Component Triggering. A Menu for Activations will appear. YOUR menu for MSD80/81 may differ from mine. My MSV80 (N52) Menu at that point has TWO groups of Activations you can choose, and the Terminal 87 Activation is in the 2nd group (F2 - Activations 2). It is the 1st activation in the 2nd Group. You can't hurt anything by clicking on menu items to find the correct screen for Activating Terminal 87/ DME Main Relay on your N54. Just don't actually "Activate" anything in one of the screens until you have read the page, particularly any conditions at the TOP of page, and understand what you are doing.

On my MSV80 for N52, the Terminal 87 Activation screen is accessed via the following Menu Sequence: DME > F6 Activations/Triggering > F2 Group 2 > F1 Terminal 87 DME Main Relay.

INPA is a very powerful diagnostic tool, so don't hesitate to view screens and learn what is available, and ask questions/ post "finds" here. I would suggest saving screens as jpg image files which you can later view to recall what a particular screen shows, and attach here so we can ALL see it (easier than pdf). I attach a "Tutorial" pdf that explains HOW to Save and Attach jpg files of INPA or ISTA screens.
View attachment 1020955 View attachment 1020956
I have been succesful in accesing both the fuel activation and DME main relay activation. My last 7 of my vin is P038430. Also it took a long time because I’m up north and car had to sit due to a huge snow storm, having another right now as we speak but snow got low enough to work on the car. I understand it takes time a patience now just hoping to get her running again soon. If you need me to attach any pictures/videos please let me know.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I would suggest ALWAYS viewing and saving ALL Fault Details BEFORE clearing the fault codes. In this case, the SEVEN (7) Fault Codes in the DME as of 4:19 PM yesterday suggest issues with the DME Main Relay (Activation?), Fuel Pump (at least control), and Inputs to DME from Crankshaft Sensor, and Camshaft Sensors. ANY of those things could cause the "Crank/No Start" issue, but taken together, they point to the DME Main Relay as something that could cause ALL of those codes, secondary to lack of proper DME Main Relay function.

Here are the BMW Fault Code Lookup Definitions for each:
N54 P0016 2A9A DME: Crankshaft - inlet camshaft, synchronization MSD80
3100 DME: Boost-pressure control, deactivation msd80
N54 P0369 2A9F DME: Camshaft sensor, exhaust, synchronization MSD80
2FBE DME: Fuel pressure after engine stop msd80
N54 P0344 2A9E DME: Camshaft sensor, inlet, synchronization MSD80
2ACB DME: DME master relay, activation msd80
2E8E BSD, message; intelligent battery sensor (IBS): Missing msd80

Anyone using INPA should be aware that there is a LOT more to Fault Memory than just reading Hex-codes. "Functional Jobs", in TWO Minutes, will give you ALL Fault Codes saved in ALL Modules, as are seen in the two pdf pages OP attached to Post #1 in this thread. The 4-digit Hex-code, by itself, provides NO diagnostic help, unless one has memorized the Definition.

However, if you:
(A) "Connect to a Module" such as the MSD80/81 DME, and
(B) Select "Read Fault Memory WITH FREEZE FRAME DATA (F3)",
you will get:
1) DEFINITION of the code,
2) Freeze Frame Data (a "snapshot" of system conditions at the moment the code was saved),
3) Mileage when saved,
4) number of times fault has occurred,
5) whether the fault is currently present or not,
6) whether the fault would light a warning light, etc.

I attach an example of such a "Fault Details" screen from my N52 with MSV80 DME. That fault & data has NO applicability to the current issue here, but merely is attached to show the depth of data INPA can provide. You will likely have to translate German to English, but Google Translate is pretty good at that, particularly if you have a working knowledge of the system at issue, and the proper English Technical Terms.

George
View attachment 1020971
Attached is freeze frame of all codes and the translation I tried to show everything the best I could, having to leave the car for two weeks to go out of town. Hopefully I can get some diagnostic procedures or ideas and get to fixing the car. Again thank you for the help
. Doc 1.jpg
Doc 2.jpg
Doc 1.jpg
Doc 2.jpg

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
3,260 Posts
last 7 of my vin is P038430.
Attached is freeze frame of all codes and the translation I tried to show everything the best I could...
The following descriptions and attached ISTA wiring diagrams pertain to YOUR 335i E92, built 8/2007. E9x models built either (a) BEFORE 3/1/2007, or (b) AFTER 9/1/2007 (2008 or later models) have DIFFERENT component locations, fuse numbering, etc., so this applies SPECIFICALLY to vehicles built between 3/1/2007 & 8/31/2007 ONLY.

Of the 6 DME Fault Codes shown, the 3100 code is SECONDARY, meaning Other DME Faults cause the Boost to NOT be activated. The IBS fault is NOT (Nicht) Currently Present. That leaves faults related to DME Main Relay (KL87 or Terminal 87), and "Synchronization" between Crankshaft Sensor & Camshaft Sensors Signals.

While those 4 fault codes ALONE do NOT indicate exactly what the fault is, they certainly suggest a focal point around the DME Main Relay. That relay is also known as K6300 in the ISTA wiring diagrams, or Terminal 87, which SHOULD be Active, or relay contacts CLOSED, whenever the Ignition is ON (and for a brief time after Ignition OFF). There are a NUMBER of ways of determining STATUS of the DME Main Relay. That "Terminal 87" relay, when "Active", sends 12V+ to a number of fuses, INCLUDING F76, F77 & F78. I attach the following DME Module ScreenPrints:

1) Using INPA check to see if Relay (KL87) is ON when Ignition On, or if it can be controlled by INPA:
(a) use DME > F5 > F2 > F1 Measured Values Group 1 to read Terminal 87 Voltage, Top-Left bar graph in attached Screen;
(b) use DME > F6 > F2 > F1 Activate/Control Terminal 87, DME Main Relay to (i) read status WITHOUT pressing a function Key to turn Relay On/Off, or (ii) Press F1 to (try to) turn KL87 ON, or F2 to turn KL87 OFF.

2) Terminal 87 (DME Main Relay) supplies power to:
a) fuse 76 (Crankshaft Sensor);
b) fuse 77 (coils);
c) Camshaft Sensors & DME Power (Injector Function & timing of Spark & Injector Pulse);
Test for 12V+ at each of those 3 fuses (F76, F77 & F78) with Ignition ON.

FOUR (4) ISTA wiring diagrams related to each of those circuits are attached. The "87" over the fuse symbol in each indicates that power TO the Fuse is "Switched" by Terminal 87, the DME Main Relay, as opposed to being Battery (UN-switched) power. So if Terminal 87 Relay is NOT being activated, NONE of those 3 fuses will have 12V+ with Ignition ON. Check out those items and let us know what you find, and we can suggest next steps if needed.
George

KL87 Voltage Status; F5, F2, F1, En.jpg KL87 Voltage & Activate;, F6, F2, F1 En.jpg F76, KL87, CrankSensor.jpg KL87 Power to F77 & Ign Coils.jpg DME Supply; F78 Installation on JB Panel.jpg KL87 Activation by DME & Power to F78 & DME.jpg KL87 Power to F77 & Ign Coils.jpg

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The following descriptions and attached ISTA wiring diagrams pertain to YOUR 335i E92, built 8/2007. E9x models built either (a) BEFORE 3/1/2007, or (b) AFTER 9/1/2007 (2008 or later models) have DIFFERENT component locations, fuse numbering, etc., so this applies SPECIFICALLY to vehicles built between 3/1/2007 & 8/31/2007 ONLY.

Of the 6 DME Fault Codes shown, the 3100 code is SECONDARY, meaning Other DME Faults cause the Boost to NOT be activated. The IBS fault is NOT (Nicht) Currently Present. That leaves faults related to DME Main Relay (KL87 or Terminal 87), and "Synchronization" between Crankshaft Sensor & Camshaft Sensors Signals.

While those 4 fault codes ALONE do NOT indicate exactly what the fault is, they certainly suggest a focal point around the DME Main Relay. That relay is also known as K6300 in the ISTA wiring diagrams, or Terminal 87, which SHOULD be Active, or relay contacts CLOSED, whenever the Ignition is ON (and for a brief time after Ignition OFF). There are a NUMBER of ways of determining STATUS of the DME Main Relay. That "Terminal 87" relay, when "Active", sends 12V+ to a number of fuses, INCLUDING F76, F77 & F78. I attach the following DME Module ScreenPrints:

1) Using INPA check to see if Relay (KL87) is ON when Ignition On, or if it can be controlled by INPA:
(a) use DME > F5 > F2 > F1 Measured Values Group 1 to read Terminal 87 Voltage, Top-Left bar graph in attached Screen;
(b) use DME > F6 > F2 > F1 Activate/Control Terminal 87, DME Main Relay to (i) read status WITHOUT pressing a function Key to turn Relay On/Off, or (ii) Press F1 to (try to) turn KL87 ON, or F2 to turn KL87 OFF.

b) fuse 77 (coils);
c) Camshaft Sensors & DME Power (Injector Function & timing of Spark & Injector Pulse);

FOUR (4) ISTA wiring diagrams related to each of those circuits are attached. The "87" over the fuse symbol in each indicates that power TO the Fuse is "Switched" by Terminal 87, the DME Main Relay, as opposed to being Battery (UN-switched) power. So if Terminal 87 Relay is NOT being activated, NONE of those 3 fuses will have 12V+ with Ignition ON. Check out those items and let us know what you find, and we can suggest next steps if needed.
George

View attachment 1023134 View attachment 1023135 View attachment 1023138 View attachment 1023140 View attachment 1023141 View attachment 1023142 View attachment 1023143

1.) Got to 87 turned it off then back on and heard an audible click coming from the glove box area. I also attached a photo showing so. (So I know the relay activates and works)
2.) I have tested all 3 fuses and have read 12v+ from all of them. So all the fuses work properly and so does the relay.
Now I'm confused what the next step would be considering all fuses seem to work and so does the relay.
ALSO NOTE: the bst or whatever cable b=plugs into the positive was disconnected so I plugged it back in cleared error memory and still cranks, I could have cleared the code wrong but just something to note.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

b) fuse 77 (coils);

George

View attachment 1023134 View attachment 1023135 View attachment 1023138 View attachment 1023140 View attachment 1023141 View attachment 1023142 View attachment 1023143
Also terminal 87 is turning on when ignition is turned on, I can see it visibly turn on and get voltage and can also hear it click.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi!

Not sure if it helps at all, but I just had a similar issue and it turned out to be my ecu.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi!

Not sure if it helps at all, but I just had a similar issue and it turned out to be my ecu.

I’ve just replaced the ecu and checked the ecu for any bends, corrosion, ware, etc. still nothing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

b) fuse 77 (coils);

George

Decided to reword it to help better understand, and also to bump the post.
But I have the results from the tests given and am wondering what the next step would be, I’m very mechanically inclined and can work on the car when it comes to wrenching away at it, but using INPA and using a multimeter is new to me and I don’t know much about diagnosing and such but am willing to learn and thoroughly go thru each step.
(1) Used INPA to check to see if the relay (KL87) was on when ignition was on. (Shown on previous post) I was able to find that relay (KL87) WAS being turned on when the ignition was turned ON. I was also able to successfully activate relay (KL87) using INPA and when doing so I was able to hear an audible click coming from the glovebox area.
(a) Using INPA I was able to find that terminal 87 Voltage is 11.37
(b) Using INPA again I was able to activate/control terminal 87 and turn it both on and off using INPA. when activating it I was able to hear the audible click again coming from the glove box area which I’m assuming is how I know it’s working without needing to see the INPA screen.
(2) Now I tested for voltage on all fuses (F76, F77, and F78) they all were able to read 12v+ with ignition ON and with terminal 87 being activated.
F76, F77, and F78 all read 12v+ (Used a multimeter one end on chassis ground other end on each side of the fuse, I did not pull the fuse out to read if I’m needing to I will)
I will check the fuses here in about 8 hours from the time this is posted again and test for 12v+ with the fuses pulled from the fuse location of F76 F77 F78.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts