BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the past few days here in CT have been VERY cold. Last night was driving around as usual and this noise started under the hood. Figured it was possibly a pulley. Last year I changed idler pulley, belt, water pump, tstat, oil filter housing and cooling gasket. (Figured I mention that since others in a FB group mentioned them) but this morning I started the car drove around as normal and trying to recreate the sound but couldnt. Check the videos out and any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also should add no CEL light and did a diagnostic check with carly and nothing came up..hmm ok wont let me add video says it's to large. If anyone is interested in maybe helping look me up on FB. Sorry it wouldn't load but I really need some help because I'm all out of ideas...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the past few days here in CT have been VERY cold. Last night was driving around as usual and this noise started under the hood. Figured it was possibly a pulley. Last year I changed idler pulley, belt, water pump, tstat, oil filter housing and cooling gasket. (Figured I mention that since others in a FB group mentioned them) but this morning I started the car drove around as normal and trying to recreate the sound but couldnt. Check the videos out and any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Also should add no CEL light and did a diagnostic check with carly and nothing came up..hmm ok wont let me add video says it's to large. If anyone is interested in maybe helping look me up on FB. Sorry it wouldn't load but I really need some help because I'm all out of ideas...

So here is a link of the video. Hopefully someone could tell me.because the only thing I can thing of is the tensioner assembly. It is very strange because it comes and goes. The night this happen I haven't heard it that loud again..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg0EU7jub1M&feature=share

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,949 Posts
Mike Tyson found your problem years ago:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cgtjg?start=437

If it's not the belt, you should check out your oil filter for being crushed or torn. Did you use a mann filter? Those were the only ones that my N52 didn't crush.

Also, you should change out your oil separator and CCV hoses. The car sounds a bit too ticky.

·
Registered
2013 535xi
4,199 Posts
Hard to say, sounds like maybe the tensioner but vacuum leaks can have a squeal too.
The way it comes and goes during idle makes me want to lean toward vacuum.
What does it do with revs?
There will be others chime in before long.
And of course, we are all just guessing.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,240 Posts
If you take the belt off, does the sound go away?
If yes, then it is something in the belt path.
If you have never changed the tensioner, then get the Contitech tensioner kit. For a 2007, you are long overdue.
If the sound is still there are the new tensioner and idler pulley, then it is either the air conditioning pulley or the alternator.
You can troubleshoot more precisely a sound like this with a mechanics stethoscope. Lisle makes one you can get off Amazon or the local auto parts store for about $15.
**WARNING** Be careful of moving parts and keeping all your fingers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mike Tyson found your problem years ago:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6cgtjg?start=437

If it's not the belt, you should check out your oil filter for being crushed or torn. Did you use a mann filter? Those were the only ones that my N52 didn't crush.

Also, you should change out your oil separator and CCV hoses. The car sounds a bit too ticky.
Man filters and liquid moly is all I use in the car. I have changed the tension pulley but never changed the whole tensioner itself. I did change oil filter housing/cooling gasket aswell as water pump and tstat.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hard to say, sounds like maybe the tensioner but vacuum leaks can have a squeal too.
The way it comes and goes during idle makes me want to lean toward vacuum.
What does it do with revs?
There will be others chime in before long.
And of course, we are all just guessing.
Now since this video it really hasn't been that loud. I was going to order new tensioner assembly and belt and degrease the engine wile the belt is off to clean off all the sludge.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Man filters and liquid moly is all I use in the car. I have changed the tension pulley but never changed the whole tensioner itself. I did change oil filter housing/cooling gasket aswell as water pump and tstat.

I believe the CCV was replaced not to long ago with a recall from bmw.. but the oil separator is something I know was never done... Is there a link of a DIY of changing/servicing that?

·
2008 535xi wagon
2,949 Posts
Also known as pcv valve. The recall is just for a single heated hose, not the rest of the system. It's on the under side of the intake manifold so a diy for removing that should do the trick. It's a bit of a job. Mine wasn't overtly broken but stopped sealing all the way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts