BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soooo I bought my 07 650i coupe back in dec 21st 2020, drove to NewPort beach, CA from Vegas. Car was sitting for almost a year but it was running like a CHAMP! It was around 80 when i picked it up from the previous owner. So the drive back home was amazing the 6er was happy to just cruze back home to Vegas. The next day I shouldn't have taken it to those drive through oil change valvoline place cause they performed a "engine pressure" test which I thought was total bs but w/e I just needed to change the oil ASAP as it sat for a year with 72k on the clock. So they do this test i feel the engine shake and well it was a misfire but okay they say everything is good and i was off. I didn't have room in my new house to do the oil change my self and i didn't have time go to go BMW for the change. Few days later on a cold start it was maybe 43-50 outside and on a cold start BOOM misfire! i checked the dipstick and it was slightly open pushed it closed and nothing, then... it keeps misfiring on cold starts, I changed the coil and plugs as the might N62 still had its original plugs and coils. and it still misfires! So I see a p0456 code for small evap and well i figure maybe the gas cap annnd for a while it worked.... until it happened again. Not too sure where else to check for that evap leak and maybe it's related to the misfire.. also valve cover gaskets need changing so not sure if that would cause a misfire on these N62's. Don't get me wrong I will not get rid of this 650 i absolutely love it! just hate the misfires on cold starts. Please Obi Wan, I need your help...

PS. Car isn't perfect as it needs some work cosmetically speaking front fenders are cracked, needs a good paint correction, but that black sapphire metallic paint does look nice after a quick compound and polish! Oh and I used FCP Euro to get parts, got OE Delphi Coils and bosh plugs, read that the bosh coils suck and Delphi was the new supplier ohh and i did run a lot of fuel injector cleaner too, hasn't helped.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,010 Posts
If you've replaced the fuel filler cap then the next port of call would be the breather valve and its associated pipe work located on the bank 2 timing cover case and held by a black bracket, these are known to go bad after several years and your car would be around this sort of age.
Both this and the valve cover can cause misfires, in the case of the valve cover, where its leaking oil out means air can get in and this will be unmetered from the MAF throwing your fuel/air mixture out.
With the plugs, BMW would now fit NGK's but let's face it, Bosch was fine when the car was built so you can safely eliminate them as a cause.
If you can, get yourself a copy of ISTA as this will help immensely when figuring out problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you've replaced the fuel filler cap then the next port of call would be the breather valve and its associated pipe work located on the bank 2 timing cover case and held by a black bracket, these are known to go bad after several years and your car would be around this sort of age.
Both this and the valve cover can cause misfires, in the case of the valve cover, where its leaking oil out means air can get in and this will be unmetered from the MAF throwing your fuel/air mixture out.
With the plugs, BMW would now fit NGK's but let's face it, Bosch was fine when the car was built so you can safely eliminate them as a cause.
If you can, get yourself a copy of ISTA as this will help immensely when figuring out problems.

Thank you very much! I'll be ordering the breather valve and the hoses that come with it. I do have INPA, but yes I am working on getting ISTA!

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had the same code on my 08 vert, and also changed out the charcoal canister in the rear wheel well. That cleared my code. Just to add to the GURU, Herb....

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sal262

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
Since you are new to the BMW world, try charging your battery overnight, & hopefully address your problems. Low voltage will cause misfires when could & the battery voltage is low. Charge the battery at the jump terminal under the hood, & charge it as an AGM battery. If the car hasn't been driven much before your purchase, this would be a prime suspect. Look at the date code on the battery to try & see how old it is? The battery voltage on the battery must be above 12 volts when measured at the jump terminal, with the headlights on, & the engine off. Let us know if this addresses your problem. The evap code will pop up when the battery is low on voltage. To make your paint look very nice, take a 3000 3M perfect-it sanding pad, & it will really make it shine. Going over it with a 5000 pad afterwards, will almost make it look polished by itself. I just got thru doing this to mine last week when I left some sanding scratches in the paint, & I said what the hell. I was shocked at the difference it made.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since you are new to the BMW world, try charging your battery overnight, & hopefully address your problems. Low voltage will cause misfires when could & the battery voltage is low. Charge the battery at the jump terminal under the hood, & charge it as an AGM battery. If the car hasn't been driven much before your purchase, this would be a prime suspect. Look at the date code on the battery to try & see how old it is? The battery voltage on the battery must be above 12 volts when measured at the jump terminal, with the headlights on, & the engine off. Let us know if this addresses your problem. The evap code will pop up when the battery is low on voltage. To make your paint look very nice, take a 3000 3M perfect-it sanding pad, & it will really make it shine. Going over it with a 5000 pad afterwards, will almost make it look polished by itself. I just got thru doing this to mine last week when I left some sanding scratches in the paint, & I said what the hell. I was shocked at the difference it made.
Thanks for the tip! I totally forgot about battery! when i bought the car the previous owner did put in a new battery and the date stamp was 07/20. however it wasn't driven much anyways when i picked up the car it was just covered in dust! so im pretty sure they just replaced it drove it a little and back to storage. I'll be sure to measure the voltage and well maybe even get a replacement if needed.

as for the paint thanks for tip! i'll def look into it! the paint is OK but lots of swirls especially around the driver area and rock chips but not faded and no clear coat missing i did get touch up paint from BMW

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
also.. vegas is colder right now than LA well by the beach where this 650 was staying so very well could be the battery also acting up due to the colder weather but 100% sure of this

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i was about to post what INPA said while it was starting up, idle, then idle after its up to temp buuut that failed... so while it was idle battery voltage was 13.94 and I do remember the airmass was reading like 14~15ish kg/h but i forgot the values while it was starting up. and while it started up it was at 13.47 volts. next time i drive her i'll just take a direct screen shot instead of capturing the image directly from INPA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: changed the purge valve and the associated hose with it... annnd it still misfired again but now I hear a whistling noise 😂😅 but I haven’t seen the p0456 code appear even before I got the parts so I’m kinda lost and battery does work fine

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
well i was about to post what INPA said while it was starting up, idle, then idle after its up to temp buuut that failed... so while it was idle battery voltage was 13.94 and I do remember the airmass was reading like 14~15ish kg/h but i forgot the values while it was starting up. and while it started up it was at 13.47 volts. next time i drive her i'll just take a direct screen shot instead of capturing the image directly from INPA.
Battery voltage is measured with the engine off, headlights & ignition on. Measure the voltage at the jump terminal under the hood. Charging the battery cost nothing, & is always the 1st thing to do when misfires start. Your CCV valve on the top of each valve cover could be damaged, remove the cap & inspect them for a tear in the rubber diaphragm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Battery voltage is measured with the engine off, headlights & ignition on. Measure the voltage at the jump terminal under the hood. Charging the battery cost nothing, & is always the 1st thing to do when misfires start. Your CCV valve on the top of each valve cover could be damaged, remove the cap & inspect them for a tear in the rubber diaphragm.
Hey Herb!! I need to find my battery tester as I did test it forgot what it said and misplaced it so I need to start over with the battery BUT I just changed the ccv and the one on bank 2 was shot bank one was still “good” as it did not have any tears BUT I replaced both of them not that long ago it Isela very nice but still some fluctuations in rpm but nothing like before no misfire codes nothing!! I didn’t check it before as I thought it was only associated with oil burning but still I should have check sooner as it was on my to do list but thank you and everyone who wrote in!

btw I will replace that entire plastic housing and the hoses too in the near future but for ow this will be good so I won’t be annoyed with the cold starts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was starting to warm up so I didn’t start the video from the cold start but it was fluctuating in RPMs a bit so might be another leak but nothing as bad as before once again I thank everyone who wrote in and gave me advise I will replace other parts due to age and preventative maintenance and well I do not have any plans to sell this 6er any time soon

·
Super Moderator
8,687 Posts
The plastic caps should come with the CCV valves, so I am not sure if this is what you are talking about? The idle fluctuating looks like the thermostat could be causing the idle to be off? You will see this more on cold starts, & should go away when warm. It never hurts to smoke test the engine again, just to make sure everything is sealed off. It probably wouldn't hurt to run some motor cleaner in the oil, as it looks like you have some sludge in the engine. Add it around 500 miles before changing the oil. The link below will help save you some money on the CCV valves, & vent tube lines. The prices will be much cheaper than the BMW prices, The parts marked OEM beside them, are the manufacturer that makes them for BMW.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The plastic caps should come with the CCV valves, so I am not sure if this is what you are talking about? The idle fluctuating looks like the thermostat could be causing the idle to be off? You will see this more on cold starts, & should go away when warm. It never hurts to smoke test the engine again, just to make sure everything is sealed off. It probably wouldn't hurt to run some motor cleaner in the oil, as it looks like you have some sludge in the engine. Add it around 500 miles before changing the oil. The link below will help save you some money on the CCV valves, & vent tube lines. The prices will be much cheaper than the BMW prices, The parts marked OEM beside them, are the manufacturer that makes them for BMW.

well being 14 years old and it was sitting for a while before i bought it in dec. there still lots more to do but for now it runs fine and has been reliable, I do have the waterpump and thermostat on my to do list as well as all other vacuum lines, I'll get a smoke machine to find any other leaks and will be ordering fresh new gaskets, already spent upwards of $3k since december on parts and tires and no regrets! yeah that sluge has me worried but you're right a cleaner before the next oil change would be good, I did add in slick 50, used it on my other cars but i might do that engine flush from liquimolly just in case, Thanks for the link i will totally check it out!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts