BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two months ago I purchased my fifth BMW, trading in my loved (but tiny) 335I convertible for a used 07 750I with 36000 miles.

I had owned a 740IL, so I thought I knew what to expect......however I wasn't ready for the 2/1 transmission slam that spilled coffee on me at 10 mph still in my neighborhood! It felt like someone was under my feet with a sledgehammer!

I used this forum to educate myself a bit, went to BMW Houston North, where they kept my car for five days, giving me a 2010 328 to drive, while they replaced the DME on my car.

I can't say how happy I was to pick the car up last night, detailed, with new wiper blades, and a receipt for zero payment due!!

Dante Blyler is my SA, and has always done an awesome job. Don't put up with the problem, especially with repair costs after warranty expires that will be in excess of $3 K!

I am looking forward to enjoying the car, especially if I ever manage to understand the basic concepts behind the I-Drive............:):):)

·
G Trues
863 Posts
wow...congrats...and your 7 is paid off..that's sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I think he meant the repair bill was free...

·
G Trues
863 Posts
oh my bad..i read that wrong this morning...still good news though.

·
***** Prowler
274 Posts
good deal! the transmission is my single most worry in the future.. whats a DME btw?

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts
Good stuff! I'm glad they took care of it for you.....

·
Registered
52 Posts
Two months ago I purchased my fifth BMW, trading in my loved (but tiny) 335I convertible for a used 07 750I with 36000 miles.

I had owned a 740IL, so I thought I knew what to expect......however I wasn't ready for the 2/1 transmission slam that spilled coffee on me at 10 mph still in my neighborhood! It felt like someone was under my feet with a sledgehammer!

I used this forum to educate myself a bit, went to BMW Houston North, where they kept my car for five days, giving me a 2010 328 to drive, while they replaced the DME on my car.

I can't say how happy I was to pick the car up last night, detailed, with new wiper blades, and a receipt for zero payment due!!

Dante Blyler is my SA, and has always done an awesome job. Don't put up with the problem, especially with repair costs after warranty expires that will be in excess of $3 K!

I am looking forward to enjoying the car, especially if I ever manage to understand the basic concepts behind the I-Drive............:):):)
Is this a problem you had while only in sport mode or in all transmission modes?

·
Alpine White & Black
1,952 Posts
Major congrats to you man for getting this common nightmare taken care of for free!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
It's under warranty right? Free is a little misleading. Congrats, I hope it lasts a while. Many folks here had the transmission replced for the same reason and the problem returned. Most people think it is software not hardware.

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
I also had the dme replcaed on the 750, It wouldnt go into drive??

·
Registered
308 Posts
Digital Motor Electronics (DME) is a microprocessor-based system that controls the ignition, the fuel injection, the oxygen sensor and numerous ancillary functions. DME provides raw data to an on-board computer that uses an alphanumeric display to provide you with information such as the average fuel consumption, the distance you can still cover with fuel in the tank, an average speed, outside temperature and more.

In the industry, DME is often referred to as the Engine Control Unit (ECU), under the heading of Electronic Engine Management Systems. BMW also uses the term DDE (Digital Diesel Electronics) for diesel engine models instead of DME.

DME operates by continually monitoring such factors as engine temperature, speed, intake airflow, exhaust gas composition, and even the altitude. DME then literally fine-tunes the engine hundreds of times a second to provide maximum performance and efficiency. DME has a fail-safe program in the event of certain electrical faults. Current DME versions also have on-board diagnostics (OBD).

·
Alpine White & Black
1,952 Posts
Digital Motor Electronics (DME) is a microprocessor-based system that controls the ignition, the fuel injection, the oxygen sensor and numerous ancillary functions. DME provides raw data to an on-board computer that uses an alphanumeric display to provide you with information such as the average fuel consumption, the distance you can still cover with fuel in the tank, an average speed, outside temperature and more.

In the industry, DME is often referred to as the Engine Control Unit (ECU), under the heading of Electronic Engine Management Systems. BMW also uses the term DDE (Digital Diesel Electronics) for diesel engine models instead of DME.

DME operates by continually monitoring such factors as engine temperature, speed, intake airflow, exhaust gas composition, and even the altitude. DME then literally fine-tunes the engine hundreds of times a second to provide maximum performance and efficiency. DME has a fail-safe program in the event of certain electrical faults. Current DME versions also have on-board diagnostics (OBD).
how much does this usually cost to repair?

·
It's all about me!
1,519 Posts

Great information! Thanks :thumbup:

·
Registered
12,023 Posts
Mine was also free, aka warranty covered.:yikes:

·
Registered
3,344 Posts
It's under warranty right? Free is a little misleading. Congrats, I hope it lasts a while. Many folks here had the transmission replced for the same reason and the problem returned. Most people think it is software not hardware.
+1 :rofl: trust me, your 4yr/50k bumper to bumper was factored into the cost of the car and was hardly free. in fact, many of us, including yourself, pay BMW in our valuable time every time we bring in the car with a transmission issue. i myself made 3-4 trips for transmission alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hear you all, I understand there is a cost to owning these cars that really can't be measured. I know four or five service advisors, at two dealers, pretty well. The DME part was $2100 alone, so while the repair was "free", the cost really is in there somewhere. The cost is both time and productivity, which most of us must think is worthwhile, because when everything is right on the cars, they are simply awesome.

I know a girl who is 38 years old, she bought a manul transmission 1994 Honda Accord new, and still drives it every day, and is the only car she has ever owned! In 16 years, it hasn't had any significant problems. She doesn't even know what a Honda SA is, yet I know my BMW SA's kids names. It is completely different owning a vehicle that is as techincally advanced as our cars are. My brand new 08 335I was in the shop four or five times in the first six months alone, with a myriad of fault codes and warning messages.

I still have till July to decide if I want to invest $4300 in an extended warranty (45 months from date of service is the decision deadline, as long as less than 50,000 miles). I am waiting till then to decide, after I see what addiitonal problems surface. Until then, I hope to enjoy miles of smiles!

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Congrats but I hate to burst your bubble. And maybe i'm not but here's my story:

I have a 2006 750i that I purchased last July. I too had the "hit from behind" transmission failure. I too had the DME replaced, and it worked for awhile. But then I had the same problem again. Search my threads and you'll see what they did to fix it, again. Some kind of a seal was replaced between the engine and the transmission. That too fixed the problem, for awhile. And NOW, the car was taken back into the dealer today as I am now having a hard slam when accelerating. Before, the slam occurred usually when I was decelerating to a stop. and it only occurred occasionally, not every day. NOW, every day, at least a few times a day at a minimum, I get the hard slam going from start at a stop sign, unless I really ease the accelerator down. And it now occurs in both D and S modes. So, we'll see.

BTW, I'm not trying to scare you but mine wasn't fixed with just the DME or the seal replacement. Luckily, like you, I'm under warranty, CPO warranty for this trip, but still under warranty. We'll see what they say...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Really appreciate the feedback, certainly will make me consider more purchasing the BMW warranty extension.

I haven't driven the car enough since last week to know if it is fixed or not, and sounds like I may not know for awhile.

To be honest, if it wasn't under warranty, I probably would not have spent the money, would have waited till it got much worse, or started to look at another car.

Thanks again for the "war story", at least now I know to have my eyes wide open!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts