BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am seriously considering purchasing a used 2007 BMW 328xi 2 door with just under 78,000 miles on it. The dealer is asking $17,750 for it which I think is reasonable. It has a clean history, no reported accidents, and has been serviced properly. It is very clean and is in good condition.

I am wondering what the reliability is with this year bmw with this many miles on it. Do you think I will run into any major problems in the near future, and how many miles do you think I can get out of it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

·
Officially Contaminated
3,052 Posts
Depends on how the car was cared for during those 78,000 miles.

- Taken care of: probably a good buy.
- Beat to hell and not maintained: probably going to have problems down the road.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Depends on how the car was cared for during those 78,000 miles.

- Taken care of: probably a good buy.
- Beat to hell and not maintained: probably going to have problems down the road.
How can one gauge "taken care of"? Look at the service history most probably, right? And if a dealership CPOs the car, then I'm assuming they also have a high degree of confidence in the vehicle?

·
Not Here Anymore
5,203 Posts
Hello all,

I am seriously considering purchasing a used 2007 BMW 328xi 2 door with just under 78,000 miles on it. The dealer is asking $17,750 for it which I think is reasonable. It has a clean history, no reported accidents, and has been serviced properly. It is very clean and is in good condition.

I am wondering what the reliability is with this year bmw with this many miles on it. Do you think I will run into any major problems in the near future, and how many miles do you think I can get out of it?

That's above average mileage for the car which suggests a lot of highway driving. I see nothing wrong with a 78K mileage car but highly recommend a PPI. And, as others have said, try to obtain the service records for the vehicle.

·
Banned
10,410 Posts
Hello all,

Not many miles for a 4 yr old.

Looks like a cheap date.

CPO?

·
Registered
3 Posts
PPI: pre-purchase inspection. $200. Go to a BMW dealer and ask for one (make sure they do them beforehand). Schedule time to get it reviewed. It's worth it. They'll give you a complete breakdown of everything they have on the vehicle: service history at BMW dealerships (ie, did it go for BMW service), as well as a complete computer check to run anything back that looks suspect: engine, trans., electrical, etc.

·
Registered Boozer
190 Posts
I just got $12K on trade in for my 328xi wagon with 103K miles on it. It wasn't even close to needing brakes, since I do mostly highway. Very well maintained, except I never washed it. Is it worth $17K? Maybe.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It's a good price, but you can probably get one with 50K or less for ~20000. That's like 2.5 less years of wear for 2500. I see much lower mileage 328s in my area for ~22000 asking all the time.
There are lots of cars out there; don't succumb to false urgency over any single one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yes, but trying to keep it under 20,000 with registration and sales tax. I went today and put a deposit on it. it has an extended warranty on it until 2013 or 100k which is nice. It is in great shape and I just feel like it is the best deal I will find at this point. After all is said and done the price is $19,013.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hello all,

Dude i would never even dream of paying 17k for 78000 odd miles - that's a lot of miles mate :-(

Secondly - don't just go by words - drive it - test It - Indy mechanics - all reports - coz 78k is a lot of ****

Advice: find low miles

·
Registered
458 Posts
yes, but trying to keep it under 20,000 with registration and sales tax. I went today and put a deposit on it. it has an extended warranty on it until 2013 or 100k which is nice. It is in great shape and I just feel like it is the best deal I will find at this point. After all is said and done the price is $19,013.
I m having a big LOL on it - 19k for 78000 - lol dude - wake up

·
Registered
101 Posts
Everybody here leases and drives 7,000 miles per year...don't listen to them.

If I paid $44,000 for a new BMW, after 3 years of me running it up and down the highway it damn well better still be worth $17,000. If it looks and drives good and has a decent list of options I'd say that's a decent price but not great. Because I drive a lot, when comparing similar cars with different miles I always break it down to cost/mile. If you had to pay $23k for one with 30,000 miles then at $17,000 the discount is only .12/mile or so. I usually look for more like .15 for a 3-4 year old 3 series......but on the other hand the depreciation really tapers off over 60,000 but under 100,000. If it had 100,000 on it, it would likely still bring $15k so maybe $17,000 is about as good as you'll do.

I do agree though that finding one under 50,000 miles is a better value if you can swing it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.