BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for the last few weeks to fix an overheating issue, which I thought I had successfully done until tonight. A week ago, I replaced a radiator fan assembly to fix what was presumably the source of my overheating problem, and got the fan up and running. Everything seemed to be going so well. I put 100 miles on the car with no more overheating, my AC was finally cold again, life was getting back to normal - but today the car overheated again. This time, I had some vibrations, some very mild differences in the way the car felt. I pulled over immediately and stopped the car, turned it off, let it cool down. It had gone into limp mode before I had replaced the fan last week, so I knew what to expect. Prior to the fan replacement, I had no burning smell, no smoke or steam, no leaking fluids that I could discern. Tonight, about 10 minutes into my trip home from work, the car just felt a little off. Something wasn't right and I could feel it in the way the car drove. No loss of power or anything like that until it hit limp mode, just felt off. I waited for the car to cool down for 15 minutes and gave it another shot to get home. Overheated another mile later and I had to pull off the highway again.

This time I knew I wasn't driving it home so I called a tow truck, and while I waited I decided to test the bleeding procedure, just out of curiosity and to perhaps find out if there was air blocking the coolant in a line somewhere. I couldn't get any fluids to spit out into the coolant reservoir, and admittedly I opened the cap up while the car wasn't cold. It was warm, but not hot enough to do serious damage. A little coolant dribbled out, but it was mildly warm. Not enough time had really passed to decide if there was just air in the system or if the pump had actually failed. I'm not honestly certain how to tell. Upon testing the bleeding procedure, I did noticed some fluid on the ground under the car. Not a great deal, some dribbling from the floor plate that I had thought may have been more coolant leakage from the cap when I took it off warm. Still no discernable burning smell, no smoke or steam. I have a sinking feeling it's a de facto leak somewhere in there now. I am a novice car owner and this is the first car I've owned outright that had no warranty, so I've been trying to get my hands dirty with repairs where I can.

Has anyone experienced something similar? Is there a way to definitively tell if my water pump is now dead coincidentally 1 week after I replaced the radiator fan? I have to deduce that it's that or the thermostat since I replaced the fan, and had messed with at least one coolant sensor to try to get the old fan to come back on. At this point, general wear and tear repairs are almost equal to the money I've spent to actually buy the car used 4 years ago. Wondering if it's even worth it to put more love into this thing at this point. Any insight is hugely appreciated, as I am really at a loss for what to do next without incurring serious labor costs to do exploratory "surgery" on the thing.

I should add I had a code reader plugged in just 2 days ago and had no errors coming up, either.

Thanks all

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
What motor?

Sure hope your repeated ‘driving till it overheats’ didn’t damage a head or something…

If it has any electric water pump, they start becoming intermittent. Which is what complicates diagnosis. (It can also lead to parts of the cooling suystem getting superheated, yet the sensors aren’t seeing hot water. Classic symptom is ‘radiator water is cool but temp is in red’..because the water isnt moving!)

Finally, you sure you have the right sub forum for your car? And learn how to search here…a TON of water pump/overheat threads…

GL~

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You know what maybe I don't have the right forum. I have popped in to a lot of other overheating threads, so maybe I'll continue on down the rabbit hole until I can find a similar issue before posting..in the RIGHT forum. I appreciate your interest in the post, anyhow. It's an N52, also.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
24,900 Posts
Its just that the "M" subforums are a bit of a backwater.. I wanted you to have better visibility. No need to find a matching thread to add onto either....

Try X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

GL!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts