Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas of what would cause my car to start billowing white smoke the very next day after installing new coil packs and plugs? This happened in the morning during warm up. Prior to, it would have a mild white smoke and a miss, thats why I replaced plugs and packs. Any ideas?

·
Registered
3/2007 328xi E91
2,931 Posts
Is what you saw (1) oil smoke, or (2) steam? Depending upon whether you noticed this on the first start after changing plugs, it could be oil in plugwells draining into cylinders, condensate in cats, mufflers or pipes, or other more serious matters.

If it continues, put a white cloth over exhaust to trap vapor to see if oil or steam. If it does NOT recur, I wouldn't worry about it.

George

·
Barely in control
Monaco 2008 328Xi coupe
402 Posts
Any ideas of what would cause my car to start billowing white smoke the very next day after installing new coil packs and plugs? This happened in the morning during warm up. Prior to, it would have a mild white smoke and a miss, thats why I replaced plugs and packs. Any ideas?
Did it start smoking before the engine was warm, if the engine was cold it can't be steam and you are left with it being oil or gas. Maybe some substance has fallen into a cylinder causing smoke.
Let us know the result okay?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it was after the engine was warm. I belueve it my injectors. I replaced one, but not the others. I also smell gas from the charcoal canister.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I replaced all injectors, coil packs, plugs, and cooling/oil temperature sensor. The billowing smoke has stoppedz but the car still rough idles and the fan accelerates to high. What are some symptoms that will occur until I get my injector indexes updated?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I replaced all injectors, coil packs, plugs, and cooling/oil temperature sensor. The billowing smoke has stoppedz but the car still rough idles and the fan accelerates to high. What are some symptoms that will occur until I get my injector indexes updated?
If injector adjustment is not carried out, the engine may run roughly or fail to start.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts