BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with the shifter on my 525..never had any trans issues, im not getting any trans error messages however when i started the car this morning it wouldnt move out of park. At first i thought major transmission issue but as i said there was no error alert. I noticed that the shifter had no lights showing. if i shifted gears, either in auto or sports mode the indicator on the dash remained in P but still no lights on the shifter.
local dealer hasn't heard of this before, my brother in law who owns an auto transmission place suggested maybe the shifter module. common in benzs apparently not so much in BMW's. anyone have any other thoughts?

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,383 Posts
There is a ribbon cable that is part of the shifter under the console and it is known to fray and cause issues.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Either that or the ribbon cables connected to the shifter. There is a round piece that locks the bottom of the shifter unit. Then you pry out the cover of the release button on the side of the shifter. After these, you can pry apart the two halves of the shifter. You can now see the ribbon cables attched to it.

·
Registered
1999 BMW Z3 Roadster 2.5
888 Posts
just to add the input of the other guys here. I had a friend's BMW that was having similar issues almost always its a problem with the wires that the guys are telling you about, but my friend's e60 it turned out to be the connector on the trans that had shorted because of a leaking mechatronic sleeve. Trans oil isn't conductive but grim + trans oil can be conductive.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts