Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the passenger side axle and housing/supporting bracket broke. idk if the axle came apart at the cv joint then broke the housing or the housing broke and the cj joint came apart. both ends are still in place, i pulled the car over as soon as i could after i heard the noise n it was only 20ft. i was going like 10 mph when it happen.

the car is on the side of the road about 3miles from my house. 3 of the bolts stayed in the oil pan, but the top on toward the back of the car broke the threads/boss out the oil pan.

would i be able to take the axle completely out and drive it home? i know replacing the oil pan is the best thing to do, but i dont have the funds and need the car for work Monday. could i replace the axle and supporting bracket for now then the pan next weekend? is there really a lot of torque on that supporting bracket that 3 of 4 bolts is a big problem for a week?

·
Registered
292 Posts
j-
This sounds pretty bad. I can't imagine anyone recommending that you drive the car. It sounds like there are compromised drive parts that could lead to additional damage. Sorry for your bad luck, but don't risk additional damage to the car.
Good luck
Fred

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive heard people taking out the front driveshaft and driving them for years like that. im just not sure about without the passenger side axle. i wouldnt imagine it being a big deal as long as the front drive shaft was out

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
ive heard people taking out the front driveshaft and driving them for years like that. im just not sure about without the passenger side axle. i wouldnt imagine it being a big deal as long as the front drive shaft was out
You can take out the driveshaft and run it that way but if the problem is the axle shaft do not try driving the car. Depending on where the axle shaft is damaged, you will trash a whole lot of parts in a hurry, if it's flailing around. You need to get it on a flat bed for transport to wherever you are going to get it repaired.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
You can take out the driveshaft and run it that way but if the problem is the axle shaft do not try driving the car. Depending on where the axle shaft is damaged, you will trash a whole lot of parts in a hurry, if it's flailing around. You need to get it on a flat bed for transport to wherever you are going to get it repaired.
the axle shaft got separated at the inner cv joint. i took out both ends of the broke axle and the front driveshaft. i wouldn't drive it with the broken axle still in there flailing around lol.

its only 3miles from my house where the car is and ill be doing the repairs.

just wanted to make sure with the front driveshaft, both ends of the broken axle, and the broken axle support bracket/bearing removed it would be ok to drive it back home. like if too much fluid would come out of the TC, if having the driverside axle in but not the passenger side if it would damage the TC or trans.

i dont see how it would damage anything since the frontdrive shaft being out wont send power to the transfer case, the broken axle out theres nothing flailing around, and its only 3miles away.

just wanted some reassurance i guess, or if/how something would get damaged.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
the axle shaft got separated at the inner cv joint. i took out both ends of the broke axle and the front driveshaft. i wouldn't drive it with the broken axle still in there flailing around lol.

its only 3miles from my house where the car is and ill be doing the repairs.

just wanted to make sure with the front driveshaft, both ends of the broken axle, and the broken axle support bracket/bearing removed it would be ok to drive it back home. like if too much fluid would come out of the TC, if having the driverside axle in but not the passenger side if it would damage the TC or trans.

i dont see how it would damage anything since the frontdrive shaft being out wont send power to the transfer case, the broken axle out theres nothing flailing around, and its only 3miles away.

just wanted some reassurance i guess, or if/how something would get damaged.
Ok. So now I have a clearer picture of what you are dealing with. You will probably lose some fluid from the front transfer case because it's open but you could minimize the loss with a cover over it.... like duct tape. I suppose it's possible to drive it home without the axle shaft but I suggest that you seal off the wheel hub as well to prevent sand or road debris from getting into the wheel bearing and splines or if you can afford it, have it flat bedded home.

·
Registered
2006 530xi 6 MT
4,219 Posts
I don't know exactly what means "3 of the bolts stayed in the oil pan, but the top on toward the back of the car broke the threads/boss out the oil pan".

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the axle supporting bracket/bearing, it bolted to the oil pan with 4 bolts. the supporting bracket broke. 3 of the 4 bolts that hold the supporting bracket to the oil pan are still bolted/threaded into the oil pan. the supporting bracket it spinning and sliding on the axle since it broke off the oil pan.

one of the bolts is threaded into a little block/boss on the oil pan, and that little block/boss broke off the oil pan/the bolt is still on the supporting bracket along with the boss/threads from the oil pan in which it threaded into, the other 3 bolts are still bolted into to the oil pan through with the other broken part of the supporting bracket, the holes/threads will be fine once i take the 3 bolts out.

when i bolt on the new supporting bracket, 3 bolts with be holding it on instead of 4 since the one bolt thats still on the broken supporting bracket broke the boss/threads off the oil pan.

3 of the 4 corners of the broken supporting bracket are still on the oil pan with the bolts. the other corner is still on the supporting bracket with the bolt and the threads from the oil pan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts