BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That says it all. Driving to Detroit after two hours on the road I hear what sounds like a chain! Then the gear symbol and a “take it easy” warning on the screen. I got to my destination, let it sit a few hours. Drives fine! Local BMW shop say about 5K for the megatronic valve body R&R. What are my options? My first BMW, life long garage guy.

Speedometer Tachometer Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge
Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Gas Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Font Audio equipment Gas Motor vehicle

Speedometer Tachometer Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info. I went to the site and booked marked for future needs.
I’ve been watching YouTube videos of the repair. I’ve noticed none are for all wheel drive! Does the transfer case have to be removed?

·
Registered
747 Posts
For the work described so far, no. But I (2009 528xi) had to disconnect one end of the driveshaft to get access to the transmission fill plug. Four bolts, can only be used once. Go to realoem.com for the part number. Exterior to the transmission is a mechatronics connector / seal which, over time, is prone to leaking. On my car I was unable to extract the connector from its location due to obstructions. I had the dealership replace it. Don't quote me on this, but I believe that one needs to drop the exhaust in order to remove a heat shield. Then remove the transfer case bolt, and lower it a bit to remove the obstruction. As for parts, I have had good luck at FCPEURO.com. They have a lifetime warranty on everything they sell, even replacement parts like brake pads, etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, thanks for the help. The trouble code has only happened once so I’m still driving with my fingers crossed. Fortunately I have a friend with a lift. When I finally have to do it I’ll watch a hundred videos first. Is there such a thing these days as a paper manual for this car? Or is it on line subscription only?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
There's a good chance that doing the seals and tubes, along with the prerequisite drain-and-fill will take care of your issues. And yes, you do have to drop the front driveshaft to get to the fill plug on the transmission (no big deal). If you still have issues after, the next step would be to swap out the solenoids, which also requires another drain-and-fill, which is a good thing as it leaves you with even better fluid new-to-old ratio.

FWIW, it's quite possible to fill the transfer case without dropping it or the exhaust and huge heat shield. Just drain it, and insert a cork (or similar) with a tube through the middle, and pump the full liter of fluid into the transfer case. Then carefully capture what comes out when you reinstall the drain plug, and let 400mL out total, leaving the required 600mL in the case. About 5 minutes work vs. hours.

·
Registered
748 Posts
The CTSC is an excellent source. They have good tutorials too. I have done two mechatronics refresh jobs. The transfer case does not need to be removed. If you support it with a jack you can remove the bolts from the rear transmission support and gain plenty of access to the electrical connector and sleeve if you're patient. The solenoid replacement is easy, just make sure you keep it free of dirt, dust, paper towel debris, etc. Replace the oil pan too since it contains the filter. I'd do the whole job at once, the solenoids, the electrical connector sleeve, the rectangular one and the four tubular ones. You can easily drain and refill later for a more complete fluid refresh.
There is a lot of opinion on fluid to use. ZF Lifeguard 6 is the factory fluid. Ravenol makes it too. The Valvoline Multi-Vehicle ATF also meets the BMW and ZF spec per their data sheet on their web site.
The car has to be up in the air and level. I use jack stands.

Reactions: figaro2380

·
Registered
4,233 Posts
Figaro. Since the fault has not returned it means the suggested services above are still on the table. Don’t put it off. This is not difficult. Report back before you do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It’s been a month since I got the trans code. I’ve driven about 1500 miles with no trouble. The only problem now is ME! I keep waiting for that damn code to appear again. So I was thinking of slowly getting all the stuff I’ll need to do the valve body service and the oil pan gasket at the same time. Maybe over the winter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts