BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 08 550i has a four year old battery. There are no messages in the iDrive. When I press start the engine sounds like it's cranking normally. But, it does not start.
I am not completely convinced about the battery being the sole problem. I temporarily hooked up the battery from my Honda Pilot to it. It spins over the same and doesn't start.
The vehicle operated normally up until it failed to start. Where I should begin troubleshooting?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Scan for Codes

·
Registered
763 Posts
Yes easy tool to scan codes is BMWHAT Carly just get the Android/iphone app and the adapter GOOGLE IT !! Or you can get INPA saftware you will need K-Dcan cable for that and a laptop

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Was able to rent a scan tool from a local auto parts store. There were no codes read and all the diagnostics test it could run came back ok. I replaced the battery just because it was 4 years old. It did not make a difference. The car still cranks but does not start up.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Wow that sucks, it could be starter, crankshaft sensor went bad, have you tried a different key fub?

·
Registered
479 Posts
IVM module,
Ews-dme alignment, CAS should have recorded some errors due to no start.
Crankshaft sensor for example will cause that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is there a simple way to test whether fuel is being delivered and whether ignition spark is taking place? My car is 6 speed manual. Does that change the way I should approach the problem?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
The generic code readers are not the best type for bmw's . You need a Bmw specific code reader .
Also if you don't have a pressure gage you can disconnect the fuel quick connect under the hood and stick a plastic bottle on the line and have someone turn the key . It should spray fuel into the bottle . If it doesn't you can check the pump under the passenger back seat and check for voltage or power at the pump .

You can also pull the coil and a plug , ground it to the block turn the key and it should spark the plug ..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The generic code readers are not the best type for bmw's . You need a Bmw specific code reader .
Also if you don't have a pressure gage you can disconnect the fuel quick connect under the hood and stick a plastic bottle on the line and have someone turn the key . It should spray fuel into the bottle . If it doesn't you can check the pump under the passenger back seat and check for voltage or power at the pump .

You can also pull the coil and a plug , ground it to the block turn the key and it should spark the plug ..
Ok, going to do those two tests this morning. I'm hoping that pressing the clutch and pushing the start button on my manual '08 550i is the same as "turning the key".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I had this symptom it ended up being the fuel pump.
Seems reasonable. But, I gave up and called a towing service to take it to the dealership. I was only able to establish that none of the fuses were blown in the glove box or trunk. The fuel relay did click when power was applied. So, I'll update here when I get a diagnosis from the dealership.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My Service Advisor called me today. He says the reason the car didn't start was due to a software glitch. Apparently, my car thought it was stolen and entered a mode that disabled it from starting. I have to admit this seems like a strange implementation of a security feature. Why not just deactivate everything so the car does not spin over. I would never have guessed it was a breach of security. Maybe that's the idea. But, only a couple hundred to take care of updating the software to prevent that from happening again. I do somehow think that should be on BMW. The FOB did continue to open doors, trunk, etc. I even inserted it into the steering wheel thinking that may have had something to do with it not starting. Is anyone aware of a recall for the software as relates to the car not starting. The iDrive was always slow to boot and I would get halfway to work before the phone would sync with it.

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
I think they are feeding u a truckload of crap. There is no need to update the software on the whole car . The problem is a EWS manipulation error , due to too many failed starts and activated the emobilizer They just need to synchronize the modules and that's it . That said a software update is a good thing , but not necessary for what the problem is ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think they are feeding u a truckload of crap. There is no need to update the software on the whole car . The problem is a EWS manipulation error , due to too many failed starts and activated the emobilizer They just need to synchronize the modules and that's it . That said a software update is a good thing , but not necessary for what the problem is ...
The invoice says: "Interrogated fault memory, found fault 2F44 EWS preventing manipulation stored and present. Performed test plan, found fault due to DME software. Programmed complete vehicle with ISTA-P 3.56.3. Performed DME CAS Alignment, verified repair. Engine cranks and Starts."

I asked the SA to waive the software update charge because it was a "software glitch" that led to the car thinking it was stolen. But, the SA indicated that because the car was not under warranty, he was unable to waive the fee.

Does anyone think the matter is worth raising with BMW NA or the local dealership management?

·
Registered
5,787 Posts
Not worth the effort in my opinion for a 300 dollar fix or what ever they charged you . A complete car software update is a good thing , it includes the latest transmission updates as well.

Don't baby it run her hard during the learning process, drive it like you stole it , use all three shifting modes , rev her hard during manual shifts and in DS or sport mode . It will be good for it ..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts