BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 08 650i and I came out to go to work and started it up like normal and I heard a pop almost like a hose blew off and I looked underneath and saw all of my oil pouring out in my drive way. I jacked it up to inspect and it seems to be coming from my oil filter. I checked my ccv diaframs and all seem to be good . WHERE IS THIS OIL COMING FROM PLEASE HELP.

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts
The alternator oil bracket o-ring is in that area, & it will dump the oil out of the engine in a hurry since it is under pressure. I could also be possible that your oil cooler lines might have a blown o-ring. Inspect the oil filter 1st, then look up towards the front of the engine from the oil filter, the alternator o-ring is in that area. This is around a 1200.00 repair if you have to pay someone to do the work. If you do it yourself, it could be a 8 to 12 hour job.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The alternator oil bracket o-ring is in that area, & it will dump the oil out of the engine in a hurry since it is under pressure. I could also be possible that your oil cooler lines might have a blown o-ring. Inspect the oil filter 1st, then look up towards the front of the engine from the oil filter, the alternator o-ring is in that area. This is around a 1200.00 repair if you have to pay someone to do the work. If you do it yourself, it could be a 8 to 12 hour job.

Working on this job now. These are the o rings that can blow and the thermostat gasket area. IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0726.jpg IMG_0703.jpg

HerbP is The Godfather of this engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It looks like someone has already changed that o-ring before, by looking at the RTV around the outside of the o-ring. Glad to see you got the Power steering pump bolt off, it can be a PITA!

I didn't have to move the power steering pump! The oil cooler thermostat gasket was replaced in the past and they replaced the e-torx with hex bolts. I used round hex bits. And yeah. I had a BMW master tech laugh at the RTV. I am not using RTV this time. Was a great surprise to not have to move the power steering pump.

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
Now that is interesting, that would indicate any cars that have the cooler fitted have a much smaller design bracket and not just a different style o-ring, also may I ask, does your car have active steering, if not, that suggest you have the smaller two bolt style pump rather than the three?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Now that is interesting, that would indicate any cars that have the cooler fitted have a much smaller design bracket and not just a different style o-ring, also may I ask, does your car have active steering, if not, that suggest you have the smaller two bolt style pump rather than the three?

If you are asking me and not the OP, how would I confirm active steering? I have adaptive drive Suspension, sport, and premium package I'm not sure when active steering was introduced on the X5. But yes, oil cooler=smaller bracket like mine.

·
Super Moderator
1,883 Posts
Active steering is a system which allows fewer turns of the steering wheel at lower speeds to aid parking and more turns at higher speeds, this usually means a larger pump for vehicles with it and a smaller one for those without (dynamic drive also has a part to play in pump size). The larger ones have a third (difficult to reach) bolt at the back making this job a real pain, I just wondered if this was the same for the N62 equipped X5's as it is for the 6 series.

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts
I just looked & there is not a different alternator bracket made, but there are 2 different o-ring seals made. I think he might have been referring to that someone replace the original allen head hex bolt before he had to pull the bracket. This would make it much easier to remove. That bolt is one PITA to get out, unless you have done it before. Even then it is still a PITA!

I honestly apply some silicone to mine, just to make sure it seals. You do not want to do this job more than once.

·
Super Moderator
8,333 Posts
Would I have to remove the oil pan to do this??? It seem to be leaking from the oil pan
It is rare for the oil pan gaskets to leak, but the oil pan does not have to be dropped to change the alternator o-ring. There are 2 gaskets on the oil pan, upper & lower. The lower is easy to drop, & the oil strainer can be cleaned while this is done. The upper oil pan will take many hours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts