BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
08 M3 sedan 6M lease OFFERED to me: MSRP around $65k, cap cost around $60k, residual=55%, MF=.00065.

I am thinking $55k, 55%, .00025 would be a fair counter along with waived security deposit. My credit is excellent and I currently own a 335 sedan so I am trying to get around $500/mo with $5-6k out of pocket. Doable or am I smoking the drapes? Thanks!

·
Registered
272 Posts
08 M3 sedan 6M lease OFFERED to me: MSRP around $65k, cap cost around $60k, residual=55%, MF=.00065.

I am thinking $55k, 55%, .00025 would be a fair counter along with waived security deposit. My credit is excellent and I currently own a 335 sedan so I am trying to get around $500/mo with $5-6k out of pocket. Doable or am I smoking the drapes? Thanks!
As a reference I got $554/mo on a 08 M3 sedan, MSRP 60K, with 3K down (and 2 security deposits). But So-Cal may be more competitive than Kansas.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Getting them to go 10k under msrp (or 4k under invoice roughly) is going to be iffy if you are also asking for buy rate lease terms as well. It might be doable if it was a 2-3k mile new demo or if the $1500 rebate was still in effect.

From my experiences shooting emails to BMW internet sales managers of 08 M3 sedans I saw on cars.com, most hold the line at invoice or max of 1k under invoice for new, <50mi M3s. Only time I saw better out of 10 inquires I did was on the two demos they they offered $6,200 and $7,000 off with base lease numbers. All these were after several negociating sessions and me telling them straight up I was shopping many dealers for the best price and was not picky about colors or options.

I'd say the more realistic goal would likely be ~$7k off with base lease numbers unless the dealership is really desperate to sell (like if the M3 was a demo or had horrible color combo or options). And keep your fingers crossed that BMW instead of dropping m3 sedans off their lease support (like they did with coupes feb 2), they bring back the $1500 or better rebate.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Getting them to go 10k under msrp (or 4k under invoice roughly) is going to be iffy if you are also asking for buy rate lease terms as well. It might be doable if it was a 2-3k mile new demo or if the $1500 rebate was still in effect.

From my experiences shooting emails to BMW internet sales managers of 08 M3 sedans I saw on cars.com, most hold the line at invoice or max of 1k under invoice for new, <50mi M3s. Only time I saw better out of 10 inquires I did was on the two demos they they offered $6,200 and $7,000 off with base lease numbers. All these were after several negociating sessions and me telling them straight up I was shopping many dealers for the best price and was not picky about colors or options.

I'd say the more realistic goal would likely be ~$7k off with base lease numbers unless the dealership is really desperate to sell (like if the M3 was a demo or had horrible color combo or options). And keep your fingers crossed that BMW instead of dropping m3 sedans off their lease support (like they did with coupes feb 2), they bring back the $1500 or better rebate.
do you see major issues with leasing a new demo with 1,500 to 2,000 miles on it? I have been offered one but with the break-in of 1,200 miles so critical and having all these different drivers tooling around in it, worries me. Thoughts? And, if I were to go for it, how much further would you discount off invoice with those demo miles on it?

·
Registered
90 Posts
do you see major issues with leasing a new demo with 1,500 to 2,000 miles on it? I have been offered one but with the break-in of 1,200 miles so critical and having all these different drivers tooling around in it, worries me. Thoughts? And, if I were to go for it, how much further would you discount off invoice with those demo miles on it?
Honestly... it depends on if you plan on returning the M3 once the lease ends. If you even think about seriously buying the car after the lease I would stay far away from demos since its 99.9% certain some test driver broke the 5500rpm mark on the car at least once during the first 1200 miles.

Also, obviously test drive the car throughly before signing to make sure the clutch and other car items don't have much abuse. One other thing to consider is the PS2 max performance tires on the M3s can wear out (especially the rears) in as soon as 10k miles if driven hard. And the tires go for $400/each. So a demo car with 3k miles could easily have used up 1/3 of the $1600 tire's tread life already if those 3k miles were made up of hard driven test drives.

I would insist for at least $1.5k additional discount over a new no miles m3... so atleast $8.5k off retail or $2.5-3k off invoice.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Honestly... it depends on if you plan on returning the M3 once the lease ends. If you even think about seriously buying the car after the lease I would stay far away from demos since its 99.9% certain some test driver broke the 5500rpm mark on the car at least once during the first 1200 miles.

Also, obviously test drive the car throughly before signing to make sure the clutch and other car items don't have much abuse. One other thing to consider is the PS2 max performance tires on the M3s can wear out (especially the rears) in as soon as 10k miles if driven hard. And the tires go for $400/each. So a demo car with 3k miles could easily have used up 1/3 of the $1600 tire's tread life already if those 3k miles were made up of hard driven test drives.

I would insist for at least $1.5k additional discount over a new no miles m3... so atleast $8.5k off retail or $2.5-3k off invoice.
Awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are definately dealerships in socal that will go below invoice! I picked up my '08 M3 sedan (80 miles on the odometer) for about $2500 under invoice ($6300 under MSRP) from BMW Palm Springs. I think $10k under MSRP is a possibility for a convertable, but probably not for a coupe of sedan. You will just have to call a lot of dealerships and be ready to wait for them to accept your offer. I played chicken using the $1500 rebate expiration. They finally excepted my offer the morning of the day the program ended.:thumbup:

·
Registered
198 Posts
There are definately dealerships in socal that will go below invoice! I picked up my '08 M3 sedan (80 miles on the odometer) for about $2500 under invoice ($6300 under MSRP) from BMW Palm Springs. I think $10k under MSRP is a possibility for a convertable, but probably not for a coupe of sedan. You will just have to call a lot of dealerships and be ready to wait for them to accept your offer. I played chicken using the $1500 rebate expiration. They finally excepted my offer the morning of the day the program ended.:thumbup:
Are you sure that $2500 under invoice equates to $6300 under MSRP? Seems like it should be more like $7500 to $8000 under MSRP....

·
Registered
90 Posts
Are you sure that $2500 under invoice equates to $6300 under MSRP? Seems like it should be more like $7500 to $8000 under MSRP....
It depends on what options the M3 has. A stripped M3 sedan has a $4300 difference between retail and invoice and options have a ~9% profit margin built in between retail and invoice.

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2008/bmw/m3/100991471/prices.html

$2500 under invoice might = retail - $6300 discount - $1500 rebate. too bad rebate is gone now :(

The M3 I am seriously considering buying is fairly well loaded at $67,400 retail and $62,060 invoice. So $5340 difference. I got the dealer to go $7500 off retail which is roughly $2140 under invoice. Combined with the buy rate money factor and $725 aq fee it seems like a very fair deal to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts