BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting really confused by all the sizes & options that are discussed. i had thought that the non-sport Z4si takes 17", but I'm seeing talk & specs of 18" and even 19". What's the best way to know what will work for my car? I don't want to order and then have problems.

As far as general tire type, in the Philly area it can get cold--mostly 20's in midwinter, with some periods as low as 0 (farenheit of course). When it snows it can be 1-2", very rarely deeper--we might get one 6" snowfall a year. We're also big on the "wintry mix" of sleet, freezing rain and a little snow, or rain/freezing rain mix.

What I really want to do is this fall take off my OE RFTs and replace them with something that I can use until lease turn-in. I don't want to have to keep changing back & forth. It doesn't seem worthwhile to me to buy wheels for a two-year lease (May to May), so I'm thinking just tires that I can leave on year-round.

Can I get away with all-season, even if I am out and get caught in a wintry mix or a little snow, or am I just fooling myself, and really need to go to a dedicated winter tire?

I have an '03 accord that's probably worth 10-12K that I could unload, but I'm hanging onto it because I'm uncertain about winter driving. IF I decide NEVER to drive my Z4 in bad winter weather, can I get away with the OE RFTs year-round, or does the cold make them too hard to get decent traction? I figure at lease turn-in I'll have about 24K miles on my Z4 so a tire replacement is probably in the cards one way or another....so perhaps the all-season route, saving the RFTs for lease return makes the most sense.

Other thoughts? I've never had to put any energy into this before!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
and another dumb question--does the tire pressure monitor work properly with non-RFTs?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And still another--can I buy winter tires but use them year-round, rather than going with all-seasons? What is special about a winter tire that makes them inappropriate for summer use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
And still another--can I buy winter tires but use them year-round, rather than going with all-seasons? What is special about a winter tire that makes them inappropriate for summer use?
The compound on snow tires are designed to remain soft and pliable at lower temps. Many of them will wear very quickly in higher temps. Most of them feature more aggressive tread patterns that are not well suited to cornering or noise quality especially when worn.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm getting really confused by all the sizes & options that are discussed. i had thought that the non-sport Z4si takes 17", but I'm seeing talk & specs of 18" and even 19". What's the best way to know what will work for my car? I don't want to order and then have problems.

As far as general tire type, in the Philly area it can get cold--mostly 20's in midwinter, with some periods as low as 0 (farenheit of course). When it snows it can be 1-2", very rarely deeper--we might get one 6" snowfall a year. We're also big on the "wintry mix" of sleet, freezing rain and a little snow, or rain/freezing rain mix.

What I really want to do is this fall take off my OE RFTs and replace them with something that I can use until lease turn-in. I don't want to have to keep changing back & forth. It doesn't seem worthwhile to me to buy wheels for a two-year lease (May to May), so I'm thinking just tires that I can leave on year-round.

Can I get away with all-season, even if I am out and get caught in a wintry mix or a little snow, or am I just fooling myself, and really need to go to a dedicated winter tire?

I have an '03 accord that's probably worth 10-12K that I could unload, but I'm hanging onto it because I'm uncertain about winter driving. IF I decide NEVER to drive my Z4 in bad winter weather, can I get away with the OE RFTs year-round, or does the cold make them too hard to get decent traction? I figure at lease turn-in I'll have about 24K miles on my Z4 so a tire replacement is probably in the cards one way or another....so perhaps the all-season route, saving the RFTs for lease return makes the most sense.

Other thoughts? I've never had to put any energy into this before!
The easiest way to know what will 'work' on the car is to view all the options that do, which our site does at our wheel search feature here : Wheels http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AB2&url=/wheels/index.jsp

However, many would find 20" or even 19" to ride more harshly than they would like and the ultra low profile tires that must be used in the larger diameters do not offer much wheel protection for bad roads. Not to mention the price and the fact that the vast majority of tires in these diameters for your Z4 won't do well in cold temps.

A better compromise for many with the Z4/Z4m would be an 18" all season tire setup with your current wheels that will get you through the light snow conditions that you describe. All season tires may get the job done but they generally won't be fun to drive in snow. Snow tires provide the ultimate winter traction, but with a car that you have to turn back in on a lease soon you'll need to decide if a separate winter setup will be worth the price to you. If you've got two or three more seasons left on the lease it might be worth it.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gary, thanks--that's exactly what I needed to know. I'll be ordering this fall--wanted to make sure I knew what I was doing ahead of time--will be sure to reference you as contact.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gary, one more question--the OE for my car is 17" I think--is there a reason to go to an 18" tire? From your site, OE spec for tire is 225/45-17, any reason NOT to stay with OE spec?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Going tfrom 17"to 18" will require buying new wheels. There is no reason why you do not have to stay with OEM spec unless you're looking to upgrade the appearance or handling of the car during the summer months.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts