BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

09 328I drl's are high beams instead of angel eyes

6025 16
I have a 2009 BMW 328I and my daytime running lights are my high beams I want my angel eyes to be on instead of the high beams and I already checked in the dash to see if they are on and they are. Anyway I can change this??? I looked everywhere for this answer still no luck...
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
yes. I don't remember exactly how. but you can do it in your onboard menu, even if you don't have idrive. I did it on mine. toggle through the menu by your speedometer and you should find it. i'm sure the manual has it... install some LUX LED lights and you'll be good to go :thumbup:
I already have them on in my onboard menu and they still don't turn on during the day for some reason my high beams are on instead??
Do you think I have to code my car and if I do how???
yes. I don't remember exactly how. but you can do it in your onboard menu, even if you don't have idrive. I did it on mine. toggle through the menu by your speedometer and you should find it. i'm sure the manual has it... install some LUX LED lights and you'll be good to go :thumbup:
Do you have HIDs? Are you sure the DRL are actually high beams and not the Halogen inner bulbs? The High beams are the HID outer bulbs secondary filaments that are pointed upward. The DRL are pointed lower and are the inner Halogen bulbs. I doubt your DRL are high beams.
I have a 2009 BMW 328I and my daytime running lights are my high beams I want my angel eyes to be on instead of the high beams and I already checked in the dash to see if they are on and they are. Anyway I can change this??? I looked everywhere for this answer still no luck...
No I don't have HIDs it's all stock halogens, and yes I'm pretty sure the DRls are high beams because in the daytime I put my high beams on and it's the same lights that stay on all day they just get brighter when I switch my high beams on and until it gets dark then they turn off and my angel eyes with the low beams turn on?
Do you have HIDs? Are you sure the DRL are actually high beams and not the Halogen inner bulbs? The High beams are the HID outer bulbs secondary filaments that are pointed upward. The DRL are pointed lower and are the inner Halogen bulbs. I doubt your DRL are high beams.
You have to code your car for this. I just did this on my car after install the Lux V2 angel eyes for my halogen units. I bought the Carly for BMW app on my phone and the adapter and did it that way.
No I don't have HIDs it's all stock halogens, and yes I'm pretty sure the DRls are high beams because in the daytime I put my high beams on and it's the same lights that stay on all day they just get brighter when I switch my high beams on and until it gets dark then they turn off and my angel eyes with the low beams turn on?
You shouldnt have to code your car to enable the Angel Eyes it should be a setting in the lighting menu if you have iDrive you can change the settings in there. If you do not have iDrive you will need to get it coded.
Do you think a car shop could do this for me or maybe BMW? might be cheaper than to buy all that stuff?
You have to code your car for this. I just did this on my car after install the Lux V2 angel eyes for my halogen units. I bought the Carly for BMW app on my phone and the adapter and did it that way.
Correct I don't have iDrive. What do you think would be cheaper coding it myself or taking it to a shop?
You shouldnt have to code your car to enable the Angel Eyes it should be a setting in the lighting menu if you have iDrive you can change the settings in there. If you do not have iDrive you will need to get it coded.
The option in iDrive only allows you to turn DRLs on or off.

To change which lighting fixture is designated as the DRL, the car needs to be coded.

A dealership will most likely not do this for you.

Find a local coder.
It's actually cheaper to buy the app. Most coders want at least 100 bucks to do any coding on your car. With the app you can pull BMW specific codes, monitor parameters and code anytime you want as well.
Do you think a car shop could do this for me or maybe BMW? might be cheaper than to buy all that stuff?
Correct, you need to get it coded by buying the app - bmwhat (carly) is a good option or find a "friend" who has equipment to get it done.
I had a strong desire to do this initially, but the DRL grew on me, makes the car more visible even in good weather. People are dumb and lights help to be more noticeable.
I only charge a one time $60 fee for Exx and Rxx....all future coding is covered, ie if dealer erases it.

But yea most charge $100+

Becareful with the Carly app. Been seeing people having issues with the FRM bricking.
It's actually cheaper to buy the app. Most coders want at least 100 bucks to do any coding on your car. With the app you can pull BMW specific codes, monitor parameters and code anytime you want as well.
I've only seen one post of someone bricking their FRM and that was because they were coding with the car off and the battery was low. It's not anymore risky than having someone do it for you.
I only charge a one time $60 fee for Exx and Rxx....all future coding is covered, ie if dealer erases it.

But yea most charge $100+

Becareful with the Carly app. Been seeing people having issues with the FRM bricking.
There's a few reports over on E90post
I've only seen one post of someone bricking their FRM and that was because they were coding with the car off and the battery was low. It's not anymore risky than having someone do it for you.
My dealer just helped me with this last week, well not exactly, but close, and didn't charge me...so maybe you can check with your dealer to see if they can do it? It is probably dealer-specific whether they will help, but it's worth a try.

The problem I was having was that my drls were off, and when I scrolled through the options using the left hand side thing (sorry, don't know the terminology; don't have iDrive), the option for the lights was not there (the manual said it was a key symbol). At this point I didn't know if my car even had this feature (2009 328i coupe), so I called one BMW dealer, gave them my vin, and he said they weren't able to help me determine if I had the option or if it could be programed, so I called my other BMW dealer across town and they said "yeah, no problem, come on in". They took care of it for me at no charge.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.