BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

+1 on HPFP

1060 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Pedal2Floor
Mine got replaced today. 15K miles. I was averaging under 19MPG and getting long cranks. My SA said I should see a big improvement in MPG and performance as well. We'll see...

Lawrence
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Can anyone confirm if this HPFP problem has been addressed with the new '10 production?

If not, is it prudent to replace it with an aftermarket part of better quality?

Regards,
Daytrader

Mine got replaced today. 15K miles. I was averaging under 19MPG and getting long cranks. My SA said I should see a big improvement in MPG and performance as well. We'll see...

Lawrence
I doubt it because with the new pump replacements in the '09s are failing too.

Some vendor on e90post.com is working on changing the guts of a stock pump but the pump hasn't been tested to be a good replacement yet.
I don't have too much confidence in that pump because I would think the makers pf the FP Bosch or Siemens would know how to improve the pump if it could be improved.
Can anyone confirm if this HPFP problem has been addressed with the new '10 production?

If not, is it prudent to replace it with an aftermarket part of better quality?

Regards,
Daytrader
I have a 2009 (11/08 build) and have had ZERO problems so far :clap: I'm about at 5300 miles in...
We need a subforum for the HPFP issue. :p
I am truly surprised that the HPFP problems have not been fixed yet. This has got to be costing BMW more in direct and indirect costs than it would cost to re-engineer the damned pump.

I've been following the issue off and on for a half a year and I don't recall anybody stating exactly what it is in the pump that's going wrong. Anybody know?

(Oh... yeah... btw, I do know I don't have one. But I still give a damn.)
19.1 ave here....but no long crank....just can't keep my foot out of it.
Wait for it..
I have a 2009 (11/08 build) and have had ZERO problems so far :clap: I'm about at 5300 miles in...
Picked the car back up today. New HPFP, replaced peeling driver side door pull and a few other little things. The clock is now ticking on the new pump. Wonder how long it will last? tick tock, tick tock....

As aside I was so happy to give back the 535 loaner I had. Nice car in many ways but the standard seats felt like they gave no lateral support plus it just felt huge and underpowered to me. My wife on the other hand liked it's smoother ride and larger cabin.

L
My brother is a mechanical engineer and has done projects for Siemens with applications in the auto industry.

What is typical is that if there are problems, the supplier of the part is responsible for the repair bill -- not BMW in this case.

While we have a lot of discussion about the issue here, the problem may not be as big as we like to think otherwise it would be eating into someone's profit.

In the case of making the repairs, the Germans are uber slow to get things done. So, says that they have a fix. There is a question of what needs to be changed, what suppliers need to be contact, contracts that need to adjusted and then slip stream of parts or process into the whole production system. Since the whole world is global vs vertically integrated, this may take some time.

Also, we know pumps are failing, but nobody has show what or how they are failing.

In most states, if there is a repair by law the dealer/mechanic has to give you the old part.

We need someone who gets the repair to get the old pump and then take pictures to compare with a new pump to examine what is going on.

If its a problem with a seal and all that is happening is the PSI for the pump is going down, it could be the material for the seal, or the process in which the pump is being installed (robot or human error) or design. If the design flaw is in the cast of the pump, that will take some time to fix and slip stream into production.

This is normal for the auto industry especially when it comes to the Germans. Without giving details, he did a project for Siemens for a part for VW that took VW 2yrs to slip stream the change in the meantime they dealt with the failure which was about 3% of all cars.

Could the fix be in 2010? :dunno: There is no way we would ever know. Depending on how they JIT their parts, the change would not get in until all current parts are depleted or they may have a contract that would need to expire first.

Nothing is ever as simple as it should be!
I am truly surprised that the HPFP problems have not been fixed yet. This has got to be costing BMW more in direct and indirect costs than it would cost to re-engineer the damned pump.

I've been following the issue off and on for a half a year and I don't recall anybody stating exactly what it is in the pump that's going wrong. Anybody know?

(Oh... yeah... btw, I do know I don't have one. But I still give a damn.)
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.