BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Poor College Student
109 Posts
If this happens, I hope that the hatch is more of a real Porsche than just a rebadged VW.

Porsche***8217;s ever increasing stake in Volkswagen Group has given it access to VW***8217;s parts bin including its compact car platforms and clean engine technologies.
Would be cool to see a TDI diesel though.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
since VWs or audis dont have a RWD small car platform, you can bet it will be quite a lot of porsche in it.

FYI, Porsche does this. It offers VW/Audi an idea, to engineer a new platform for them out of the existing one. VW/Audi pays Porsche money to do this. Next, VW/Audi can make a car out of it, enjoying porsche's excellent engineering. Next, Porsche takes the platform it was paid to develop by VW/Audi and makes its own car on top of it with changes needed, thus making a quite nice bit of money of the whole venture. This is what happened with Cayenne (Tuareg/Q7). ;)

The new boss of VW who is Audi man and he knows what porsche did and is not too happy to sponsor them, and so would want Porsche to develop its own platform, but you know, Porsche owns more then 30% of VW by now... So all goes, and access to parts bin, engines... you name it.

An accessible Porsche hatchback would be very nice way for me to step into porker ownership... :D

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It appears to be all wheel drive, not rear drive, but at least it'll have a Porsche flat six.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Id have to see if from a few angles from here it looks Fugly

·
Registered
25 Posts
hot hatch

Doesn't Porsche ALREADY HAVE a "hot hatch?" Its called a Cayman/Cayman S! (Would they really market and build a second hatchback for their lineup? That niche is filled.)

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doesn't Porsche ALREADY HAVE a "hot hatch?" Its called a Cayman/Cayman S! (Would they really market and build a second hatchback for their lineup? That niche is filled.)
It seems to be a way for them to make some money off the VW Gold platform joint development. Keep in mind that hot hatches are quite hot in Europe, just not here (not yet anyway).

Selling SUVs or hot hatches is really a way to pay the bills - I doubt Porsche makes any money off the Carrera GT.

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
You guys mean a souped-up Golf R32 with the Boxster S flat-6?

Never going to happen IMO - there is simply no room in the Golf unibody to mount a longitudinal or transverse flat 6 engine. :dunno: I think a transverse flat-6 would also have major packaging problems with an AWD system.

While the engineering problems could be overcome - anything is possible if you throw enough money and smarts at it - my question remains "why"?

Porsche has repeatedly stated they are not building a cheap car - because it would diminish the brand appeal. To me, a $40k Golf-sized Porsche hatch makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. :dunno:

BMW's case is different - they already make small family cars with puny engines, where performance is not really the key ingredient. So building a 1 series hatch was not such a great leap of faith.

And you know what? They are not happy with how much money they make on the 1 series. It doesn't sell quite as they expected it to. Not a disaster either, but just not sufficiently hot.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You guys mean a souped-up Golf R32 with the Boxster S flat-6?

Never going to happen IMO - there is simply no room in the Golf unibody to mount a longitudinal or transverse flat 6 engine. :dunno: I think a transverse flat-6 would also have major packaging problems with an AWD system.

While the engineering problems could be overcome - anything is possible if you throw enough money and smarts at it - my question remains "why"?
This is a future Golf platform though, I assume it could be modified to fit both the VW engines and the Boxster six. Porsche and VW are jointly developing the platform, so it's not a stretch for Porsche to sell their own version in some form.

I think the car companies are looking at strategies to deal with future $100/barrel oil prices, and this is probably one of them (smaller cars).

·
BMW Fahrer
4,674 Posts
This is a future Golf platform though, I assume it could be modified to fit both the VW engines and the Boxster six. Porsche and VW are jointly developing the platform, so it's not a stretch for Porsche to sell their own version in some form..
Yeah, you're right. I'm just saying that such a car would be far more likely to run VW's narrow angle VR6 engine, either 3.2L or the newer 3.6L. Due to packaging constraints...

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Sorry, I had to. :)

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
Sheesh whats with everyones obsessions with hatchbacks? They're like the ugliest little turds on the planet.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sheesh whats with everyones obsessions with hatchbacks? They're like the ugliest little turds on the planet.
Sure, that Porsche photochop is ugly, but there's a lot of nice looking hatches - 130i, Alfa 147, last gen R32 etc. But only driving enthusiasts would be interested in those, I understand.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts