BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Honestly, it could have been MUCH worse.

As is, I'm eager to see it in person to see how some questionable lines really look.

But, on looks alone, that pic does not rule out an M2 as a future purchase.

·
Ex-Dictator
26,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TD said:

As is, I'm eager to see it in person to see how some questionable lines really look.
Agreed. I need to see some side shots and the rear too.

G

·
nate328Ci said:

I'm sure the DBW will :tsk:
We'll see how it's programmed. Since there will likely not be another non-DBW throttle vehicle developed, it alone cannot rule out a car for me. I have to hope they manage to program it to work like a mechanical throttle.

Granted the DBW throttle was a HUGE strike in my mind against my 330i, it was far from the ONLY complaint I had. But a small, light, nimble 240HP I-4 M2 with good steering feel and a hearty amount of NVH sounds appealing. Basically, I want a new E30 M3. I understand BMW will never build a car quite as close to that car as I'd like, but I'm hoping this one comes close.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hmm...not too bad. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I did like the front of the CS1 in person, it has a very imposing, aggressive stance and if the 1 does look like the CS1 as it does in this pic, then you guys better leave a M2 for me too! or M1?? Hmm...how can that be?? What will be the 4-dr 1-series M be called, if there is one?

Thanks for the pic Alex! Good find as always!! :thumb:

·
I like cookies.
18,102 Posts
TD said:

We'll see how it's programmed. Since there will likely not be another non-DBW throttle vehicle developed, it alone cannot rule out a car for me. I have to hope they manage to program it to work like a mechanical throttle.

Granted the DBW throttle was a HUGE strike in my mind against my 330i, it was far from the ONLY complaint I had. But a small, light, nimble 240HP I-4 M2 with good steering feel and a hearty amount of NVH sounds appealing. Basically, I want a new E30 M3. I understand BMW will never build a car quite as close to that car as I'd like, but I'm hoping this one comes close.
At least it will have VALVETRONIC :thumb:

I remember that you always complained about the clutch feel/take-up as well. I thought my mom's 330 was aweful about it when it only had a few thousand miles. Now at 20K+, it feels almost exactly like my clutch :dunno:

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Looks pretty good actually - but it also looks photoshopped. the wheels are just tool large. And it's obvious that the headlights were retouched.

But if BMW keeps to the formula, should be sweet. Be nice if they put a 6'er in it!

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
nate328Ci said:

At least it will have VALVETRONIC :thumb:

I remember that you always complained about the clutch feel/take-up as well. I thought my mom's 330 was aweful about it when it only had a few thousand miles. Now at 20K+, it feels almost exactly like my clutch :dunno:
I remember reading that M cars will not use Valvetronic.

I don't like it, exactly, but it isn't ugly enough for me to cross it off my list, either. I feel the same way about the most recent artist's impressions of the E60 (which looks like a Pontiac, but not in a bad way, and I can only hope the rumors about the de-Banglification are true), and the technical specs for that car are really impressive.

So, maybe the Z4 and E65 are outliers, stylistically. Let's hope so. An M2 and a 530i turbo would be a nice garage.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
TD said:

But, on looks alone, that pic does not rule out an M2 as a future purchase.
M2 would be a coupe...

Looking at the "rumored" line-up, I wonder where M2 would fit if BMW does indeed make the Z5 coupe...Both would be lightweight and most likely using the same 2.0 liter, 240HP engine. Both would be two door coupes (I think the Z5 would be a "hatchback") and both would be priced very similarly.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
The HACK said:

M2 would be a coupe...

Looking at the "rumored" line-up, I wonder where M2 would fit if BMW does indeed make the Z5 coupe...Both would be lightweight and most likely using the same 2.0 liter, 240HP engine. Both would be two door coupes (I think the Z5 would be a "hatchback") and both would be priced very similarly.
The Z5 would presumably be smaller (it's a two seater) and lighter (with all of those exotic materials) with a more keenly focused performance edge. I'd guess in terms of marketing that they'd have the same relationship that the M3 and M coupe have now, though my guess is that the Z5 might be priced higher than the M2.

It will be interesting to see which of the many body styles contemplated for the 1/2 series the M version is based on. The four-door would make the most sense, given the presence of the Z5 and M4 two-doors just upmarket, but BMW may wish to make a two-door to appeal to the youth market that thinks anything with four doors is stodgy.

G

·
The HACK said:

M2 would be a coupe...

I know that Dan. I also doubt there will be an M1 (or another M3 for that matter). If I were in the market for this car, it would be as a third car and 2-doors would actually be preferable.

And the BIG difference between an M2 and the Z5 is that the M2 wouldn't be HIDEOUS like the Z5. So far the ONLY attractive Z models have been the Z1 and Z8, although the Z means different things on those two cars. Every other Z, production or prototype, has been uglier than sin, IMO.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Thanks Alex.

It looks fine with me, so far. But as we know, the final product sometimes is quite different.

It looks like BMW is squeezing as much profit as it can. The 1-series seems to take over the slot once occupied by the 2002, E30, E36. Our 3-series seems to have occupied the prior 5-series slot, and so on. Maybe the philosophy of car manufacturers are to create as many models and charge clients and additional $5-6,000 for an extra inch of space.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.