Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
1 sedan

Bmw's front wheel drive 1 Series sedan has been spotted out testing. The 1 Series sedan will be the first front-wheel drive sedan offered by BMW. The 1 Series is based on front drive UKL platform that's used in the latest Mini Cooper Hardtop, the 2 Series Active Tourer and supposedly, quite a few other future models as well. As many as 12 new front drive models may make their way to the public. Read more on that here.

As far as the visuals go, it looks like it doesn't have the weird proportions of the A3 or CLA. If it looks good with the camo off then this thing will kill the competition.. Still, I'd never consider a front wheel drive BMW.

1 sedan
-pics Motorauthority

Read the full article from MotorAuthority here!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
Dual exhaust?

·
GTony
145 Posts
The start of things to come. FWD will be priced to sell, which in turn will probably see a good price increase in RWD.
Depending on the Engines I would consider 1 Series Sedan BUT No Way in FWD.
Aust. already pays to much in charges and taxes and will look elsewhere if BMW start flogging and saturating the market with FWD Models.

·
Registered
10,556 Posts
BMW did a survey in the U.S. a few years ago. They found that a large number of their customers thought their RWD BMW's were FWD. The entry-level status-seekers want a kidney grill and a Roundel.

RWD is more expensive to build, and also makes for a cramped small car. Passenger room is more critical in a small sedan than a small coupe (e.g. F22/23). The draconian EU CO2 emission regulations will force BMW to build a lot of small and/or electric cars. So, although I don't want one, a FWD 1 Series sedan makes sense. Although MINI has been a resounding success, beyond BMW's expectations, there still too "MINIesque" for everybody's taste. A lot of customers are turned off by retro styling. Although, technically the MINI isn't retro, since it never really went away to come back (the meaning of retro).

The upside is that the buyers in this market segment will not tolerate the maintenance costs/hassles that "real" BMW buyers do. So, this will force BMW to improve quality and reliability if they're going to compete with the Japanese FWD competition. Hell, we might get our spare tires and dip sticks back. I got a survey form a company hired by BMW and one of the questions was about run-flat and spare tires.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
BMW did a survey in the U.S. a few years ago. They found that a large number of their customers thought their RWD BMW's were FWD. The entry-level status-seekers want a kidney grill and a Roundel.

RWD is more expensive to build, and also makes for a cramped small car. Passenger room is more critical in a small sedan than a small coupe (e.g. F22/23). The draconian EU CO2 emission regulations will force BMW to build a lot of small and/or electric cars. So, although I don't want one, a FWD 1 Series sedan makes sense. Although MINI has been a resounding success, beyond BMW's expectations, there still too "MINIesque" for everybody's taste. A lot of customers are turned off by retro styling. Although, technically the MINI isn't retro, since it never really went away to come back (the meaning of retro).
If this is true then the A3 would have the same around of room as a 3 series.. This is not the case.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
My wife's ten year old Honda Accord has more room in it than my F10. It's easier to get in and out of, too.
And...

My 3 series has more room then a A3. Now our 2013 Nissan Altima has more room then my 3 series, the reason for that isn't because it is FWD, the Altima is on the large end of the scale of the mid size car, while my 3 series is in the middle.

·
Registered
339 Posts
It looks big because the guy in the far back has his arm out like he is opening the door! Ha!

I like it, the 3-series keeps getting bigger, about the size of an older 5 series now! But saw its was FWD! Argh!

XDrive for me.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
If this is true then the A3 would have the same around of room as a 3 series.. This is not the case.
The new Golf is as roomy as a 3 series, at least in legroom. Shoulder/elbow room isn't affected by front vs rear drive.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
i don't know if I'd buy a front-drive BMW, but I'd definitely consider one with X-drive, if it were the sporty model, i.e. had M suspension etc.

I don't mind front-drive cars if they're cheap and very sporty, like a Fiesta ST. Not paying $35k for a luxury front-drive car.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts