Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just activated a year's worth of free Sirius. I had no idea that I was entitled to this until I read a thread on Bimmerfest. My CA did not tell me anything about it- kind of dropped the ball on that one. If you have the Sirius receiver call the 1/888 number and ask them to check to see if your receiver is eligible. You need to have the ESN number which I accessed on the display. Good luck!

·
Registered
270 Posts
If you want to get a lifetime subscription, Sirius will credit your account for BMW's portion.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
how on earth could anyone NOT find out about that,
you have to call sirius to activate, and you have to give them your ESN number

I don't know how you'd activate and not find this out, the cust service at sirius is very impressive and helpful though!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
1 years cost, bringing lifetime down to the 350-375 range

the longer you use it before upgrading to lifetime the less you get as a credit (as you've used part of your year already)

they may not be offering lifetime anymore, but you can change receivers (cars) 3 times with your lifetime subscription

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
Lifetime is bargain especially if you can change receivers/cars 3 times.

The current monthly fee + tax is about $167 per year. In three years you will pay more than the lifetime subscription.

You can sign up for lifetime until the end of January. :thumbup:

However, you have to do it when you first activate. They are no longer prorating. If you are already on the plan, you missed the boat. At least that is what they told me when I called a couple days ago.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Once you are a member, it looks like you can also listen to their channels online. I am picking up my car today. I definitely want to look at the lifetime option. Thanks for the info. :)

·
Banned
8,650 Posts
ck3 said:
Once you are a member, it looks like you can also listen to their channels online. I am picking up my car today. I definitely want to look at the lifetime option. Thanks for the info. :)
Correct, I listen online at work, have my PC hooked to my office stereo. Very nice to have. However, it will ask every coupleof hours if you are still listening, if you don't click the button it will disconnect.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
whiskey.org said:
how on earth could anyone NOT find out about that,
you have to call sirius to activate, and you have to give them your ESN number

I don't know how you'd activate and not find this out, the cust service at sirius is very impressive and helpful though!
That's assuming that one wants to activate. The car that I wanted just happen to have sirius didn't really want it but got a deal with it thrown in as part of the deal. Having said that I'm enjoying Sirius and who knows may continue after the year is up.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
hansonwheel said:
That's assuming that one wants to activate. The car that I wanted just happen to have sirius didn't really want it but got a deal with it thrown in as part of the deal. Having said that I'm enjoying Sirius and who knows may continue after the year is up.

so you think people may pay for this option but not want it?????????

It's a great service for people who spend alot of time in the car.
I hope you enjoy the service, as you sound like you didn't want it, but tried it anyways :thumbup:

·
Cockney Curmudgeon
1,335 Posts
FYI, only select Sirius channels are available online. Mostly the music. I believe only 4 of the non-music channels are available on your PC. Apparently the Stern community is going nutso over this since they will only be able to hear him with a Sirius receiver.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
SteveinBelAir said:
FYI, only select Sirius channels are available online. Mostly the music. I believe only 4 of the non-music channels are available on your PC. Apparently the Stern community is going nutso over this since they will only be able to hear him with a Sirius receiver.

that better not be true as I only have a 30 minute drive to work and stern was the only reason I got sirius. I don't much care about radio music otherwise.

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
I just confirmed via a Sirius CSR that Stern will not be available online. I'm on the phone with Sirius right now canceling my subscription. They should make it clear on the site as I wouldn't have even bothered with going through the following:

Installing an aux input in my car. - money and time down the bubes
Installing a Sirius radio in my e46
Signing up with Sirius

Edit: turns out the department that handles cancelations is closed today!

:mad:

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
IXLR8 said:
Didn't you want Stern for your ride?
My drive is short (20-30 minutes) and if that was it, I would never have considered Sirius. But Sirius shows on their site that you can listen to the radio online. I assumed one could listen to all shows and certainly Stern. Getting 2-3 hours a day out of Stern would make the monthly fee worthwhile as I'd have access to the best part of the show - the part I've missed for years - the news.

I'm rather sad that Sirius doesn't have any annoucement on their site that Stern is radio only. Live and learn...now I have a worthless aux port in my 3 series and I get to take yet another return trip to Best Buy this holiday season. Yeeha.

·
Mmm, Nürburgring...
170 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
Edit: turns out the department that handles cancelations is closed today!

:mad:
I bet the department for cancellations is closed tomorrow, too... ;)

·
Cogito, ergo zoom
91 Posts
blueguydotcom said:
My drive is short (20-30 minutes) and if that was it, I would never have considered Sirius. But Sirius shows on their site that you can listen to the radio online. I assumed one could listen to all shows and certainly Stern. Getting 2-3 hours a day out of Stern would make the monthly fee worthwhile as I'd have access to the best part of the show - the part I've missed for years - the news.

I'm rather sad that Sirius doesn't have any annoucement on their site that Stern is radio only. Live and learn...now I have a worthless aux port in my 3 series and I get to take yet another return trip to Best Buy this holiday season. Yeeha.
You could get a receiver that works indoors.

As far as I understand, the ability to listen to Sirius from the Web is an added benefit - not the prime offering (which is via satellite) so I don't see why they would say a radio program is radio only.

In fact, the Web site states quite CLEARLY that only music is available, at http://www.siriusradio.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=WhatIsHome&cid=1107787274283, in a section aptly enough entitled "where can you listen to sirius."

·
Not Wearing Pants
13,832 Posts
EHeath said:
You could get a receiver that works indoors.
They don't work indoors, like a large buidling...you need to have access to the outside world. Hell, the thing barely works on my car...

As far as I understand, the ability to listen to Sirius from the Web is an added benefit - not the prime offering (which is via satellite) so I don't see why they would say a radio program is radio only.
FWIW, there is no benefit to sat radio, beyond the fact it has the only thing I listen to on the radio: Stern. If Stern were still on normal radio, I'd never entertain any notion of satellite radio, as it doesn't have anything I want.

Tonight, while driving home, I went from one end of the dial to the other and during my 30+ mile drive I didn't find a single station that interested me. The constant loss of signal got quite old too...5-6 times during that drive on freeways.

In fact, the Web site states quite CLEARLY that only music is available, at http://www.siriusradio.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=WhatIsHome&cid=1107787274283, in a section aptly enough entitled "where can you listen to sirius."
I admit, I didn't go through all of Sirius' site looking to see if they limited on the 'net content. I went to Stern's link ( http://www.sirius.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Sirius/Page&c=FlexContent&cid=1130574541451 ) and also visited the installation portion. Beyond that, I - incorrectly - assumed that because they had a login/listen option on the site that I could listen to everything. What would be the point if you could only listen to some stuff online? Why not have all content available? Especially the content that's driving new sign-ups?

Because of what I've discovered two other friends are returning their receivers too (they haven't even activated). Personally, I feel Sirius made a grave error restricting the Stern show to only the satellite receivers.

Again, I made a mistake. I should have looked into it more deeply but I didn't. I assumed (and others I know did too) and thus wasted a lot of time and some money on something for which I really have no use. Live and learn.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my E90 yesterday and when I asked the CA about one year free membership he said it comes only with dealer installed sat. radio and not with factory installed. Is this true!?

The reason I got the satellite radio was using BMW one year subscription towards a lifetime membership. I am disappointed now. :(

1 - 20 of 32 Posts