Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've already posted on this but so far no joy so I thought I'd post a video - maybe prompt someone and yes this is an x5 but I believe more or less all cars between 2005 - 2013 share the same electronics.

https://youtu.be/vorkrnNch-I

If anyone can shed some light on what is going on - and perhaps even more importantly how to fix it that would be great.

As I said in the video the car doesn't have CA. It's a 2007 3.0d. It started doing this at the end of last week.

I only found out about the 10 seconds start button because of a post in the E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2013) which refered to the CAS module. The post seems to reflect what's happening however there was no resolution.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Interesting, weird problem. But shouldn't have been posted so many times to different groups. Hopefully your home group will answer the question.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMWaufKS, ordinarily I***8217;d agree with you entirely however all the series are running similar equipment in this period. It***8217;s a strange problem and know one from the x5 forum has been able to shed light. It***8217;s a difficult question to phrase hence my posts. I***8217;m sure at some point someone with an x3 or a 5 series is going to experience the same (indeed I only found out about the 10 second start by chance searching through the 3 series forum). The problem is probably very rare in that it can effect all series from that era. On that basis i don***8217;t see harm.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Any weird electrical problems: start by charging/checking/replacing the battery, checking the battery cables, and replacing the ground straps.

All computers need to be rebooted occasionally. Consider disconnecting the battery and shorting the two cable-ends together (_NOT THE BATTERY_) for a few seconds, then reattach.

Could brick the car; work safely, but at your own risk.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BMWaufKS, cheers for your response,

I***8217;ve checked the battery, it***8217;s holding at 13 volts so that***8217;s fine.

When it initially happened one of the first things I did was to disconnect the battery for a few minutes in the hopes of resetting the computers.

I have to be honest, I hadn***8217;t thought of shorting the cables - I hear your warning though re bricking the car!

I have run ISTA d but nothing significant showed up. The board was pretty much green apart from a few little bits (the FRM reported a fault but it was only with the near side heated mirror). In procedures I found mention of resetting the cas but I***8217;m aware that things can get out of hand when changing or refreshing settings.

I***8217;ve noticed that the fob is no longer locking in the slot as it did previously. My wife had been using the car that day and she thinks she forgot to release it correctly and just pulled it out. It was my understanding that whether or not the fob locked into place correctly had no bearing on its function but is it possible that it does?

·
Anti-Hack
4,840 Posts
Sounds like a fob/slot issue, and the wife created an expensive fix. Seems like the electronic version of the old analog situation that occurs in old GMs where the ignition tumbler wears and once can remove the key while the engine is running, turn it off (to the ACC position) and then restart without the key. Maybe a new slot is in order? Troubleshooting that beyond a visual inspection for broken pieces is out of my wheelhouse... sounds like a dealer visit. I prefer real keys.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers, that***8217;s one of my lines of thought. I was hoping someone may have previously experienced it - that way I could avoid just throwing money at it Blind but at least the fob holder isn***8217;t coded to the car so it***8217;s not such a difficult diy :)

·
Anti-Hack
4,840 Posts
Cheers, that's one of my lines of thought. I was hoping someone may have previously experienced it - that way I could avoid just throwing money at it Blind but at least the fob holder isn't coded to the car so it's not such a difficult diy :)
We don't have fobs to insert in the dashboard; we have real keys in this sub forum. :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh, I***8217;m sorry, my bad. I thought bmw had moved across to fobs in all cars by from Around 2005. I noticed that your year is 2004- but just thought you were probably the first. Thanks for your input anyhow.

·
Anti-Hack
4,840 Posts
Oh, I'm sorry, my bad. I thought bmw had moved across to fobs in all cars by from Around 2005. I noticed that your year is 2004- but just thought you were probably the first. Thanks for your input anyhow.
Yeah the E83 had keys up until at least the F25 in 2011. No worries. Our E83 chassis is itself based off the E46 chassis from ~1995.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info, do you share any other commonalities with the E46? - reason I ask is my wife normally drives an msport 330 ci coupe and ive got an M3.

·
Anti-Hack
4,840 Posts
Thanks for the info, do you share any other commonalities with the E46? - reason I ask is my wife normally drives an msport 330 ci coupe and ive got an M3.
Some suspension bits (not so much specific part numbers, but some of the general design), general dashboard design, engine/drivetrain components, etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That***8217;s useful to know - particularly engine/drive chain as it***8217;s somewhere else to look for parts (not so much the M3).

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts