Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've already posted on this but so far no joy so I thought I'd post a video - maybe prompt someone and yes this is an x5 but I believe more or less all cars between 2005 - 2013 share the same electronics.

https://youtu.be/vorkrnNch-I

If anyone can shed some light on what is going on - and perhaps even more importantly how to fix it that would be great.

As I said in the video the car doesn't have CA. It's a 2007 3.0d. It started doing this at the end of last week.

I only found out about the 10 seconds start button because of a post in the E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006-2013) which refered to the CAS module. The post seems to reflect what's happening however there was no resolution.

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
As I mentioned on the other thread/forum...there is a 10 second period that EWS/CAS doesn't require the encryption code/ISN (individual serial number) right after shut down. BMW has used this 10 second period since EWS II. :) That is the reason you can start the car (in your video) right after turning the engine off.

Back with EWS II, III, IV (when BMWs used keys w/metal key blade)...if you had a non-working remote key that would NOT start the car...if you had a working key and started the car...then shut it down...then inserted the non-working key...you could actually start the car if done within that 10 second window. This used to confound owners that had 1 working key and one non-working key...if they didn't know about the 10 second period. They could not figure out how the usually non-working key could start the vehicle when used after the working key.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Firstly thanks to all that took the time to read my thread/watch the video, especially to all who offered ideas and solutions.

As with most things it often pays to rule out the cheapest solutions before throwing bucket loads at the problem and this rule has been proven once again.

As those who watched the video will have seen one of the symptoms (though not seemingly a significant one) was that the fob didn't appear to lock in the slot. As a second hand unit was only £30 with it's ribbon I figured I'd start by replacing it and guess what - it solved the whole problem! The fob locks in correctly and the car is back to starting on the button as it should! The cheapest solution paid off.

For further information having used the original ribbon (because I tested it and it worked with the new key slot) prior to throwing away the old slot I decided to test it. I put the fob in the slot - and it locked in correctly! Now I'm not saying the old key slot now works (I'm not about to take the car apart to test it again) but it's now locking the fob in place as it did prior to this whole episode. Just to be clear last Saturday I disconnected the battery for around 3 hrs and it made no difference but just maybe the cas (which is what the slot unit is connected to) has some form of long term battery support. Actually physically disconnecting the slot from the cas may have allowed it to reset so I may not even have needed to buy a replacement! I've only documented this in case at some point in the future someone else hits the same problem.

If anyone has problems anything like what are documented above then (having disconnected the battery) gain access to your cas and disconnect the ribbon that connects it to the fob slot. Try your fob in the slot - see if it locks correctly. Then reconnect the ribbon and your battery. Maybe this acts as a reset. Worth a try as it costs nothing beyond 30 mins of your time!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts