BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
10 years ago, the 2012 328i did 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds. 10 years later, the 2022 330i still takes 5.6 seconds to reach 60mph?

why has there been very little improvement in 0-60mph times after such a long time?

· Registered
17,512 Posts
There has been massive improvement in 0-60 MPH times, on the M340i, M3/4, and M3/4 Competition.

The 328i and 330i are optimized for fuel economy. The newer 330i is better. Back in 2013, somebody at BMW decided that 0-60 MPH in 5.6 seconds was sufficient for the entry-level 3 Series in the US, and that it's still sufficient for the entry-level 3 Series in the US in 2023.

Automotive parking light Product Motor vehicle Font Car

The 2023 330i EPA City and EPA Combined MPG was determined using the default Comfort driving mode. Using Eco Pro driving mode, the fuel economy would be significantly greater.

Starting around 2014, Eco Pro logic shifts the automatic transmission into neutral when coasting. If you plan your stops and coast up to them, you MPG goes way up. That really pisses of Billy Bob in his F-150 behind you, though.

I had a loaner 2021 330i back in October 2020. I mostly played my hyper-mile-ing game. Based on one fill-up, it looks like the actual MPG was about 6% less than the displayed MPG. Taking that into account, I still go 35 MPG for the entire period I had the car, 524 miles. At an indicated 78 MPH on the interstate, running the AC, it got 39.7 MPG. On the 16.6-mile drive from Bubba Estates to Cracker Barrel, running the AC, it got 40.7 MPG.
Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Pattern

That 328i and that 330i have the same 0-60 MPH time as a US-spec' 1995 M3.

Tested: 1995 BMW M3 Bristles with Excellence (caranddriver.com)

I got to rip around in one of those US-spec 1995 M3's back in 1994 at "an exclusive introduction" held by BMW NA. That was the first BMW I'd driven since the 1970's.

That E36 M3 is lighter than a G20 (3175 pounds vs. 3582 pounds).

The pre-LCI E36 M3 had a square set-up (all four wheels and tires the same), and a full-size matching spare tire and wheel under the trunk floor. You could get 50k miles out of 40k-mile tires.

· Registered
708 Posts
I have been really impressed with the combination of power and fuel economy of my 330 x-drive. Power is plentiful in all drive ranges, and particularly good at high speeds. Very occasionally, you find the transmission, turbo and engine a bit asleep. A move to sport or a paddle downshift yields a fast recovery. I can confirm the fuel economy above. I have gotten and indicated 40+ mpg on numerous occasions. Would really love a M340 next, but wondering if I could even use the power in the crowded areas I drive.

· Registered
17,512 Posts
I have been really impressed with the combination of power and fuel economy of my 330 x-drive. Power is plentiful in all drive ranges, and particularly good at high speeds. Very occasionally, you find the transmission, turbo and engine a bit asleep. A move to sport or a paddle downshift yields a fast recovery. I can confirm the fuel economy above. I have gotten and indicated 40+ mpg on numerous occasions. Would really love a M340 next, but wondering if I could even use the power in the crowded areas I drive.
Being a mild-hybrid, that M340i now gets almost the same MPG as a 330i. But, it costs an extra $12k. Annoyingly, you can't get a spare tire with the M340i's Tire and Cooling Package, since the G20's 18" spare doesn't fit over the Tire and Cooling Package's larger front brakes.

I had an M340 loaner a few months ago. It was a hoot, faster than my old E46 M3. But, when I'm driving I'm usually playing my MPG game. Our trip into town last night in Frau Putzer's X3 xDrive 30i yielded a real 34.4 MPG. I've actually cracked 40 MPG in the X3 (Bubba Estates to Sam's Club, 13 miles).

Automotive mirror Bumper Font Gadget Automotive exterior

· Registered
708 Posts
It is easily the most fuel efficient car I have owned. She comes off lease in 16 months and might be a decent buy. A great all around car, and good fun to drive. I like my pre LCI interior, not crazy about the long video panel they just installed on the '23, but maybe I might get like it when I see it person.

· Registered
17,512 Posts
I'm holding out until they bring back the power lumbar adjustment on the front passenger's seat. Frau Putzer and I both have bad backs. Both our current BMW's have power lumbar adjustment on both front seats. I'm not giving that up.

That sharp upper-right corner on the BMW curved screens looks like it could take an eye out in a crash. Cadillacs have more attractive display screens.

· Vendor
7,356 Posts
If it were a slug, I would have moved up to a 340. The 330 is anything but slow. My last BMW was a 2009 535i, and the 330 is about the same level of power.
Exactly, it's not a fast car, but it certainly is not a slow one.

The power is acceptable; the rest of the focus/budget goes to the gas mileage and other vital factors.

· Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,917 Posts
Exactly, it's not a fast car, but it certainly is not a slow one.

The power is acceptable; the rest of the focus/budget goes to the gas mileage and other vital factors.
The more I drive my '22 540i back-to-back with my wife's '22 330ix, the more pronounced the "slowness" of the 330ix becomes apparent. The 540i acceleration and performance is effortless, not so much the 3. While I won't say the 3 is a slug, driving the 5 is much more satisfying. For a few mpg difference I wouldn't be happy with the 4-cylinder as a daily driver. Anyone considering moving from a 6-cylinder to the 4 (Autoputzer) should really decide if they will be happy long term.

Excuse me, but other than cost and possibly concern over a few mpg, what are the other "vital factors" for choosing 330i/530i over 340i/540i?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am not comparing 3's to 5's, but the x30 vs x40 variation comparison.

· Registered
708 Posts
The more I drive my '22 540i back-to-back with my wife's '22 330ix, the more pronounced the "slowness" of the 330ix becomes apparent. The 540i acceleration and performance is effortless, not so much the 3. While I won't say the 3 is a slug, driving the 5 is much more satisfying. For a few mpg difference I wouldn't be happy with the 4-cylinder as a daily driver. Anyone considering moving from a 6-cylinder to the 4 (Autoputzer) should really decide if they will be happy long term.

Excuse me, but other than cost and possibly concern over a few mpg, what are the other "vital factors" for choosing 330i/530i over 340i/540i?
I won't for a minute disparage the 5, I have owned 3 ('99 528 Touring, '07 530xi, '09 535is) over the years. They are nothing but exceptional cars. However, the 3 is a much better price point. My initial thought was to price a 5, but leases were running about $900/month. My loaded 330xi, (leather, Harmon Kardon, Premium, etc) with 15k mi/yr was $625 with minimal down. I use this as my daily, inclement weather, NYC, shopping centers, airports, business trips, and drive clients around in it. I can leave my 911 in the garage but still enjoy the drive. The tech is great, and it really sips gas. So perfect for me, and as it has to lug around an AWD system, I don't have an issue letting it spool up for a second to take off. All that said, I will try to get into a M340 next...because, almost 400 hp.

· Premium Member
2022 540i MSport
9,917 Posts
I won't for a minute disparage the 5, I have owned 3 ('99 528 Touring, '07 530xi, '09 535is) over the years. They are nothing but exceptional cars. However, the 3 is a much better price point. My initial thought was to price a 5, but leases were running about $900/month. My loaded 330xi, (leather, Harmon Kardon, Premium, etc) with 15k mi/yr was $625 with minimal down. I use this as my daily, inclement weather, NYC, shopping centers, airports, business trips, and drive clients around in it. I can leave my 911 in the garage but still enjoy the drive. The tech is great, and it really sips gas. So perfect for me, and as it has to lug around an AWD system, I don't have an issue letting it spool up for a second to take off. All that said, I will try to get into a M340 next...because, almost 400 hp.
Sorry, my point was not 3 vs 5, but the x30i vs x40i's

· Vendor
7,356 Posts

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am not comparing 3's to 5's, but the x30 vs x40 variation comparison.
That's it, lower cost, better gas mileage.

Many of my customers with 330 either moved from a non-BMW platform or have a fun build car and got the 330 as their daily driver to work.
It's reliable, with good gas mileage, and not dull.

My first BMW was a 328; then I moved to a 335, and after that, it's always been M4 since then
I never considered the 335 or M3 at the time because they were out of my budget. Even the 328 was a stretch.

Compared to the Saturn and Toyota Celica I owned before moving to a BMW, the 328 was a significant upgrade in power and luxury
once I got used to it, I wanted even more and started upgrading.

· Registered
17,512 Posts

When I was car shopping in 2013, I didn't even consider a 528i. My mentality at the time was that $50k+ cars don't have four-cylinder engines. Actually, that was BMW's philosophy for the US market before widespread turbocharging. Their "loss-leaders" (lower-sale price, same manufacturing cost, therefore lower-profit) cars had naturally aspirated, de-tuned, six-cylinder engines. The reality is that the turbocharged four-cylinder that repllaced the naturally aspirated six-cylinder engine is more powerful and more fuel effiicent.

Before buying my 535i, I had an F10 528i loaner. I was surprised that its torque (different than power) was adequate, and the ZF eight-speed automatic transmission was vastly better than automatic transmissions of old. But, at the time the F10 535i was available with a manual transmission, so that's how I rolled. I probably pay an MPG penalty for having the manual transmission.

I didn't even consider an X3 M40i when Frau Putzer got her X3. At an MSRP of $56,320, the xDrive 30i had already exceeded the envelope of what I wanted to pay for a Frauwagen. Her X3 xDrive 30i is about the same weight as a 530i. I'm o.k. with her X3's acceleration, so I'd be o.k. with a 530i. The 330i is several hundred pounds lighter, so its acceleration is better than o.k. I've had several 330i loaners. I've also had an M340i loaner, and it was an absolute hoot, faster than my E46 M3.

When I'm driving on roads, I'm playing my MPG game (as shown in Post #4). With Frau Putzer's X3, I switch it to EcoPro before I leave the driveway. I win the game if I can crack 40 MPG. I lose the game if I don't crack 30 MPG. A four-cylinder BMW is better at that game than a six--cylinder one.

I was on a Sam's Club run last year when gas prices were $5/gallon. There was some sales table set up just inside the store for either cell phones or satellite TV service. The salesman tried to get my attention by saying "How about these gas prices?"

I couldn't resist saying "They don't bother me. I got 39 MPG driving over here." He asked me what kind of car I had. I told him "I'm driving my wife's BMW SUV today." He was dumbfounded.

· Registered
708 Posts
Sorry, my point was not 3 vs 5, but the x30i vs x40i's
No problem. That straight 6 is legendary, and I miss the N54 in the 535. You do know that output of the 3 series engines (both 4 & 6 cyl) are higher than the 4 & 6 in the 5 series. I can't for the life of me figure out why the 340 has 389hp and the 540 has 335hp. The 4 cyl is less powerful in the 5 series too. Makes no sense unless they have a dedicated engine assemble lines feeding the 3 & 5 series assembly.

· Registered
17,512 Posts
No problem. That straight 6 is legendary, and I miss the N54 in the 535. You do know that output of the 3 series engines (both 4 & 6 cyl) are higher than the 4 & 6 in the 5 series. I can't for the life of me figure out why the 340 has 389hp and the 540 has 335hp. The 4 cyl is less powerful in the 5 series too. Makes no sense unless they have a dedicated engine assemble lines feeding the 3 & 5 series assembly.
The six-cylinder 3 Series is an M340i, a so-called "M prefix car." M prefix cars and SUV's (M240i, M340i, X2 M35i, X3 M40i, etc.) have souped up versions of the engines. The 540i has a standard tune six-cylinder engine.

I suspect the 330i has slightly more power than the 530i because the 530i's engine is tuned to produce slightly more torque at lower engine speeds, presumably to improve drivability and maybe fuel economy. Doing this sacrifices torque at higher engine speeds, and power is torque time rotational velocity.

Horsepower = Torque x RPM x (2 π) / (60 x 550), where torque is in pound-feet.

Torque is governed on turbocharged BMW engines. There's a perfectly flat band on the torque vs. RPM graph, from around 1200 RPM to around 5000 RPM. But, there are low spots at either end of the curve (low RPM and high RPM). BMW probably just moves the flat line to the left a little on the 5 Series.

Car manufacturers don't publish torque and power curves much anymore, but here's some from an old Road & Track article.

Font Car Wheel Parallel Vehicle

Here's a comparison graph of the naturally aspirated N52 to the turbocharged N20. The N20 produces much more torque at low RPM. You feel that extra torque in traffic (varying, low engine speeds).

Rectangle Slope Font Plot Parallel

· Registered
17,512 Posts
MPG game:

I made a 32-mile run into town this afternoon in Frau Putzer's X3 xDrive 30i, making four stops. Round trip, I got 33.3 MPG. My last stop was the sad luck Chevron, where Auto's Custom Blended 91 AKI was $3.383/gallon. From Chevron to Bubba Estates, I was lucky with traffic lights and got 38.0 MPG.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts