BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased new, this car has been good to me so I'm thinking of keeping it another 100,000 miles. Now BMW says it is time for spark plugs, "Emissions Inspection", "State Inspection" (CA), ATF change and soon an Oxygen sensor. I suppose the brake fluid "needs" to be changed every two years, as well. I see people here changing coils in addition to plugs but this is more transportation than racer, so any opinions on what is really necessary and when? Gas mileage is about the same as new, so I'm thinking of leaving the plugs except what about that "Emissions Inspection" and "State Inspection", and aren't those the same thing? I know this is lengthy but I will appreciate any informed opinions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm at 99,000 with my 325XI and I plan to change the spark plugs. Except for one incident, my vehicle has been very reliable and I want to keep it that way especially if your looking for another 100,000 out of it

·
Registered
7 Posts
The state and emission inspection doesn't need to be done unless it is required in your state. Actually, you can go in and change the inspection dates yourself. Just went over 102,000 miles and going to keep this car as long as it continues to treat me well. Just had the spark plugs replace along with coil wire, front and rear brakes pads (done before rotor wear), transmission pan replace along with fluid, front tie rod rubber bushings. Battery is the original but waiting on the signs to replace.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
The service I would consider in your case would be changing the ATF fluid. You should read up on some of the past threads which include changing the transmission's mechatronics seal. It's probably better to do this now than later with more miles on the ATF fluid.

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I would do the plugs, oil, filters, brake fluid, coolant flush and change brakes if needed other than that you would be good to go IMO (ONLY).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100,000 mile spending spree

I'll post the results soon. The cabin and engine filters are so easy I already did those and I'm considering doing the trans myself. Is changing the transmission's mechatronics seal highly recommended? There are no leaks but the trans does do that extreme hard downshift on hilly rolling stops that some have experienced. BMW did a "reprogramming" after my many complaints for free, a supposed $2,500 value. It did improve a lot but since I live in the hills it still occasionally happens. Is that related to the mechatronics seal?

·
Registered
119 Posts
So those replies represent your very best effort, the finest distillation of your intelligence and knowledge? I was hoping for something more grown-up. Any grown-ups out there?
I'm slightly confused by your question, as my 750i (2006 model) has Condition based servicing (CBS) which tells you exactly what needs doing and when, so you don't need to rely on a BMW technician to tell you?

Mine has only done 75k, but the spark plugs (changed at 64k) are showing as lasting another 60k! The dealer told me they shouldn't need doing again.

Assuming that yours has CBS monitors for oil, micro filter, brakes (front & rear), spark plugs, brake fluid and vehicle check, my advice would be to do what the car is telling you and not second guess what 'might' need doing as the car will tell you when it needs attention.

As previously posted by another respondent, the 'statutory' inspection and emissions checks are state tests (MOT test in UK) and nothing to do with BMW or vehicle requirements. You just reset the dates yourself after each inspection.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm following the owner's manual which states plugs and ATF at 100,000, Oxygen sensor at 120,000. Are you suggesting this may be unnecessary?
Does your car not have condition based servicing within the iDrive? I had assumed this was on all E65 7 series worldwide, but perhaps it's just a European thing? If it does, then that overides any 'standard' recommendations as it is determined on a 'vehicle specific' basis and is influenced by your driving style etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.