BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of trying out 100 watt bulbs and thought I would check here to see if it would cause any problems to the LCM, Lights etc.
I have the angel eye type headlights fitted and really wouldn't want to melt them. :dunno:

·
-------------------------
1,643 Posts
100W low beam bulbs?

The stock wires arent meant for 100W but you should be ok, not sure about the AE rings, they should be ok.

If you get good quality bulbs you dont need 100W though.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
I'd be careful with 100w bulbs. While the wire may handle the current, I have seen wires and boots melt from the added heat of the higher wattage in the enclosed space and the LCM may return a check bulb error due to resistance.

·
17,965 Posts

·
Freude am Fahren
6,378 Posts
I strongly recommend against it. Investigate xenon retrofits instead.

Edit: The link posted to the "100w" bulbs has a bit of an impossibility: 55watt draw cannot produce 100watts of output. Cross-reference the First Law of Thermodynamics. Might want to take that down, E92Lighting before someone takes issue with your false advertising.

·
livin the 'Fest
4,280 Posts
i had them in mine by accident, one of the h7 connector to the bulb melted the plastic housing on the connector it self. but wouldn't use. it useless on low beams unless you can put out 100w's.

·
95325i on bimmer*****s
422 Posts
i had them in mine by accident, one of the h7 connector to the bulb melted the plastic housing on the connector it self. but wouldn't use. it useless on low beams unless you can put out 100w's.
I had a similar issue with my 325i I put lights that where higher wattage then the stock 55W and it melted the wiring harness that holds the bulb.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
I strongly recommend against it. Investigate xenon retrofits instead.

Edit: The link posted to the "100w" bulbs has a bit of an impossibility: 55watt draw cannot produce 100watts of output. Cross-reference the First Law of Thermodynamics. Might want to take that down, E92Lighting before someone takes issue with your false advertising.
Care to explain how my 55w HID fogs work then?

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Actually I have no idea. Umnitza threw them in for me when I bought the MTech bumpers. They look phenomenal. I wrote up a DIY here if you want to check them out a bit.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
Actually I have no idea. Umnitza threw them in for me when I bought the MTech bumpers. They look phenomenal. I wrote up a DIY here if you want to check them out a bit.
Thanks for that, but I am not sure you can compare current draw of those HID to halogen style can you? HID with ballasts are different.

That's like comparing a 20 watt CFL with a 100watt incandescent bulb, isn't it? In that case it can be said an equivalent output 55w HID=100w halogen

But they do look phenomenal, that I agree.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Care to explain how my 55w HID fogs work then?
You and bmw_n00b13 are both correct.

Mack, bmw_n00b13 is correct, you can't pull 100W from a 55W draw.

In terms of lighting, watts is irrelevant. Light is light, heat is heat.

A old filament bulb will waste more energy trying to get the coils to glow as brightly as a hid would arching electricity over two electrodes. Just as a LED would be able to out perform both hid and halogen (meaning watt for watt).

If you want more light, go HID, it puts less strain on your electrical system and the output is cleaner.

You can run 100W bulbs but I will tell you it will end up in melting the connectors and possibly the wiring. Maybe not now, maybe not in 6 months but it will happen. I've used 100W bulbs on my busa before. They ran 24/7 while the bike was on. 8 months later the connector melted but the pins to the bulb were still in tact though severely tarnished and oxidized. I have to take a screw driver and scrape off the oxidation just to get them to turn on again so I could go to the store and put hid's in.

Ever since then i've had no problems at all. Easier starts, less draw on the electrical system.

They should make all cars mandatory to have HID because it's a cleaner more efficient technology. It's $$ that keeps them from doing it.

·
Thebizzy.com
6,429 Posts
Cool. I really wasn't trying to be right or even be a smartass (yes I know that's rare) I just really wanted to know. Though I really don't care HOW they work just that they do and look so damn sweet doing it! LOL.

·
-------------------------
1,643 Posts
LEDs are more efficient at using power but a single 35W LED bulb wont out perform a single 35W HID bulb as far as actual light output is concerned.

If you want bright just get a HID kit.

·
Search, Read, THEN Ask
3,211 Posts
...just that they do and look so damn sweet doing it! LOL.
Have you ever used those HID in foggy conditions? I suspect the wavelength of the light makes it so all you do is light up the fog itself...while it looks cool, it doesn't really function as fog lights do they? I'd consider them "cool driving lights"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts