BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since Ive owned the car 5 failures.
In the last 6 weeks, 11 failures
Since 1/2011, 15 failures

I love the car, but we may begin a love/hate thing here soon. I wonder now If I got a lemon?

Luckily it came with an extended warranty to 2015. Repairs from 6/14 were done under the extended warranty. Prior to that repairs were done under factory warranty.

REPAIR HISTORY
Date/ Failure Description/ Covered by Warranty/ Note
8/3/2012 Driver restraint failure. Replaced driver seat switch pad. /Yes
7/1/2012 Wipers actuate when engine starts. Replaced wiper switch /Yes
7/1/2012 Fuel tank vent blocked. Replaced charcoal canister / No Filters not covered
7/1/2012 Rear door vinyl loose causing shades to detrack. Glued down vinyl /No Upholstery not covered
7/1/2012 Bluetooth Operates Randomly. Replaced TCU /Yes
6/14/2012 Parking Brake malfunction. Replaced parking brake module /Yes
6/14/2012 Vacuum pump leaking oil. Replaced vacuum pump. /Yes
6/14/2012 Front thrust rod bushing coming apart. Replaced bushings /Yes
6/14/2012 Front control arms coming apart. Replaced control arms. /Yes
6/14/2012 Transmission is leaking. Replaced trans sealing sleeve / Yes
6/14/2012 Driveshaft Guibo coming apart. Replaced guibo flex disc. /Yes
10/25/2011 Coolant leaking. Replaced lower hose and sensor /Yes
10/25/2011 Seat bottom leather loose. Reattached leather /Yes
10/25/2011 Door sill plates peeling. Replaced door sills / Yes
1/3/2011 SES light is on, Engine running rough. Replaced ignition coils /Yes

· '12 X5 35d Black-on-Black
1,994 Posts
How many miles are on it? Just sounds like the car needed maintenance when you bought it which isn't unusual if the prior owner didn't do any of it. Also note that you are luckier than most as few coverage plans will include the wear & tear items you listed:

Front thrust rod bushing coming apart. Replaced bushings (normal wear & tear around 65K miles)
Front control arms coming apart. Replaced control arms (normal wear & tear @ 60K miles)
Driveshaft Guibo coming apart. Replaced guibo flex disc (normal aroud 100K)
Seat bottom leather loose. Reattached leather (huh?)
Door sill plates peeling. Replaced door sills (fairly common but often not covered)

Dates removed from my recognition because they don't matter in this context

· Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its has 50K miles.

Full service from dealer at least from 2010 which I have records for.
Ive owned for 6 weeks. since 6/15/2012.

I was hoping all the repairs done before I bought was a good thing. But maybe somehow it was an indicator of a lemon or an abused car.

1,994 Posts
its has 50K miles.

Full service from dealer at least from 2010 which I have records for.
Ive owned for 6 weeks. since 6/15/2012.

I was hoping all the repairs done before I bought was a good thing. But maybe somehow it was an indicator of a lemon or an abused car.
You are probably fine. I also now understand how you got everything covered... it was done under the OEM 50K mile warranty BMW will do more than they will on a CPO. I had a few of these wear & tear items on my CPO that BMW rejected so I've done them on my own. Costs have not been "bad enough to even CONSIDER any type of aftermarket warranty". The problem with aftermarket is that many want $4K for limited coverage and in my case, the car (a loaded '06 w/85Kmiles) is only worth $25K anyway so only an idiot would pay an insurance company 20% of the market value for coverage.

As an example, I am replacing the tension struts in the next few weeks. The BMW dealer wanted over $1,800 for the service but I learned that some of what they recommended is not needed and the balance can be done for a fraction of that amount. So, it will cost me less than $500 for that job including all parts and labor.

· Maintainin'
1,130 Posts
Dude your TCU was covered under warranty? My SA told me it wasn't I've been using a faulty TCU for over a year because I don't want to pay to get it replaced and now my warranty has expired SMH lol.

· Premium Member
1,313 Posts
That all sounds normal from what I have gone thru. These all seem to be small items, wait till you have to start replacing alternators, secondary fans, AC final stage resistors, light control module, ect.

· Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dude your TCU was covered under warranty? My SA told me it wasn't I've been using a faulty TCU for over a year because I don't want to pay to get it replaced and now my warranty has expired SMH lol.
Not the dealer warranty, but the 3rd party warranty. AULcorp. I was surprised as well he TCU was covered becuase the warranty does say wireless is not covered.

· Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are probably fine. I also now understand how you got everything covered... it was done under the OEM 50K mile warranty BMW will do more than they will on a CPO. I had a few of these wear & tear items on my CPO that BMW rejected so I've done them on my own. Costs have not been "bad enough to even CONSIDER any type of aftermarket warranty". The problem with aftermarket is that many want $4K for limited coverage and in my case, the car (a loaded '06 w/85Kmiles) is only worth $25K anyway so only an idiot would pay an insurance company 20% of the market value for coverage.

As an example, I am replacing the tension struts in the next few weeks. The BMW dealer wanted over $1,800 for the service but I learned that some of what they recommended is not needed and the balance can be done for a fraction of that amount. So, it will cost me less than $500 for that job including all parts and labor.
yea. YOu have to be careful on the after market warranty chosen. Its great you have the facility and know how to do your own repair. MY warranty is very good as it turns out, transferred to me from prior owner and in force until 2015. But they will cancel when I hit a cost threshold related to the purchase value of the car at time the warranty was also bought

· Registered
3,076 Posts
Not to be cruel but... That car is a lemon! I am glad you have such a good warranty. Sorry!
You must be referring to all 7 series cause they all have the same problems at some point:(. Or maybe you just haven't own yours long enough :dunno:.

· Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who is your warranty with?
AUL corporation. www.aulcorp.com

I dont know if they offer private sales. Seems likes its something offered through dealer. Online they provide a good overview of what is covered.....or not. I have the highest level of coverage called "Reserve" which is very comprehensive and defined by a short list of exclusions. My experience has been good as you can see from the list of items repaired since June 2012. They did decline to pay for the replacement of the gas tank vent charcoal canister as they claim that it is a filter and anything filter is not covered. the Warranty was purchased by the previous owner in 2010 from the used car dealer he bought the car from and is good to 2015 or 100k Miles or when the cumulative repair costs hit the purchase price of the car.

· Banned
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Really the list above is small, from 50,000 miles to 80,000 miles warranty repairs at BMW were around 20 grand. Be glad you got coverage.
Yes. thats an understatement. Probably the 2nd biggest factor in buying the car was it had the warranty. 1st was its a BMW 750:) My dream car....with the occasional nightmare. I'll bet the warranty company is rethinking its BMW premiums. They have probably paid 2x what the premium was to date.

Sounds like you had a similar experience? Can you list the repairs you had ?

1,994 Posts
yea. YOu have to be careful on the after market warranty chosen. Its great you have the facility and know how to do your own repair.
Must be gremlin's in here. I'm not doing ANY repairs myself. I take it to an independent service guy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.