BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First, thank you to all the members that posted their experiences with doing an ED. It made it much easier to do it.

I attempted to set up an ED for September during a pre-planned European vacation after totaling my E60 but couldn't do it with such short notice. After doing all my homework, I figured I could save $4500 doing an ED over a local delivery. So, I decided to fly in for the specific purpose of doing an ED to save some money. I flew out on Friday morning and back in on Monday evening. I shopped hard for a good deal on a flight and got a round trip from Los Angeles to Munich for $986. Hotel, food and such was another $300ish. So, for my efforts and a weekend I saved $3000 plus.

But, there were other benefits. My brother and his wife live in Switzerland and met me in Munich for the weekend.

We got to the Welt and checked in early. My pick up was scheduled for Saturday, December 3 at 5:10 with a check in time of 3:40. We gave ourselves enough time to tour the BMW museum and enjoy the food and drink in the premium lounge prior to the pick up.

The actual delivery was great. The BMW agent who introduced us to the car was very well versed in the car and the various options that I had ordered. There was no question that he could not answer and pointed out features I wasn't aware of.

At the time of check in they give you and the guest in your party a card that allows you to enjoy the Welt, the museum and the tour. You also get a key chain in the gift shop and they will engrave it for you.

The hotel we were staying at had a small garage and crammed the cars in there. Not a good place to park a new 535I! We asked to leave the car at the Welt's underground parking for both nights. They said it would not be a problem and gave us tickets for both nights. He also recommended parking on the second level as it is pretty empty.

Once we drove the car out of the Welt and into the parking structure there was only one thing to do***8230;.. wax it!

On Sunday we took a drive to the Neuschwanstein Castle just outside Munich, The castle is the basis for the Disneyland castle. Round trip it was only about 150 miles but gave us a chance to get a taste of the car. The active cruise control is amazing.

We did the factory tour on Monday from 11:30 to 1:30 and I did a dash on the S Bahn to the airport for a 3:45 flight back to Los Angeles. We had dropped off the car that morning knowing time would be an issue. The check in was flawless.

So, I saved money on a new BMW, got to see Munich for the weekend including a Christmas celebration in the city center, a factory tour, the experience of picking up a car at the Welt, the BMW museum, a drive to Neuschwanstein Castle and got to see my brother and sister-in-law. I can't seem to see a down side!

On the way to the museum we spotted the car;

My brother & I and the new addition;

Some car photos;

Wax on***8230;. wax off;

Neuschwanstein Castle;

Christmas celebration in the city center. That is the Munich City Hall***8230;.. Too cool;

The drop off;

BMW Card for the Welt;

Key Chain;

Too cool***8230;.. The Welt on the Nav;

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well done. Now the long wait until the boat gets here. At least you have the MINI to keep you happy.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Beautiful Chuck!
The 5er looks gorgeous in AW, especially with the M-sport pack
Enjoy it in good health

·
Registered
215 Posts
Congrats!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Congrats on the beautiful new addition

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Congrats and great pics!! I do have to ask though... Why did you wax the car straight out of delivery? Aren't they delivered all waxed and polished up?
Thanks for all of the kind words.

I had to wax it. I just had to. OK.... I have a problem. Beside, my brother brought the wax. Anyway, it was clean and polished but not waxed. There was a huge difference in the feel of the finish when we were done. It'll be well protected for the trip home.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for all of the kind words.

I had to wax it. I just had to. OK.... I have a problem. Anyway, it was clean and polished but not waxed. There was a huge difference in the feel of the finish when we were done. It'll be well protected for the trip home.
Thanks Chuck! I was asking because I'm doing my first ED in a couple months (F30 335i on March 1) and was wondering if I should plan on waxing it during the ED trip.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
Isn't not waxing it is basically the same as getting a car US delivery, more or less? That's the lazy bug in me.

But I guess if you have a calling to...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.