BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 128i coupe w/sport package April 2009. I love the car... but.... (there's always a but..) I have been having issues and wanted to see if they were "common" .
The first thing that happened was the reflector bar on the rear "crackled" (as i call it) and they (dealer) said "oh yea. You'll have that with a BMW". I had problems with the radio ( no sound), it had to be "reset". (I think.) The steering wheel "peeled" and it has now been replaced but was told "Oh. You'll have that with a BMW". While replacing the steering wheel, they found that I have cracked bushings, front lower control arm. (My car has 28k miles.) Since they say this is a "little early", it will be replaced under warranty. A bit about me... I am 47 have had 7 Hondas (my opinion.. you can NOT beat a Honda), a Jeep Liberty (hated it) and now my BMW. I love this car, i really do - but Inever ever had issues like this in a Honda. So far - it's not the money, they have all been covered under warranty but what if these little things keep happening after the warranty runs up?? Has anyone else had these issues? Do I have a lemon? Did I expect too much from BMW? Or are all these things because I got the lowest/cheapest BMW??? I hate to say that.. but really.... I need some advice! Thanks ! Karla :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
Feel your pain... I only have 4K miles, so I have not had the same problem yet, but I am half expecting these to pop up.

The BMW new car quality is at best average, and the 1 seems to be worse (I think that the 3 series, being the bread and butter of the brand is where the sweet spot is). Its like you pick a surgeon who has done a lot of surgeries - so I should probably have picked the 3, of which a lot are sold.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Karla,

I ordered mine in May 2009 and took delivery in July (at the Performance Center). I don't drive it every day so it only has a little over 11,000 miles. The only problem you've had that I've also had is the sound system malfunction. My radio would always work but the auxiliary port (which I plug my GPS into) did not twice. The first time I was on the way to the dealer for the first oil change. They reprogrammed it. It was nearly a year and then it happened again. But when I turn the car off and then back on, it functions normally. I've had to take it in for the seat belt recall and something else I am forgetting right now but otherwise the car has been trouble free. If you check the reliability data at TrueDelta you will find that the normally aspirated 3 series has very good reliability. For the 1s, all the cars are smeared together because they have so few respondants. You can also review the specific problems that have required a dealer visit for the 1s or 3s.

I hope your experience improves. I have been impressed with the engineering and I really like the sporty handling and I think the acceleration is very good too.

Jim

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Feel your pain... I only have 4K miles, so I have not had the same problem yet, but I am half expecting these to pop up.

The BMW new car quality is at best average, and the 1 seems to be worse (I think that the 3 series, being the bread and butter of the brand is where the sweet spot is). Its like you pick a surgeon who has done a lot of surgeries - so I should probably have picked the 3, of which a lot are sold.
The 1-series uses the majority of mechanical parts from the 3-series, so there is no difference in the quality of drivetrain, fuel system, cooling system, braking, steering and many suspension components.

·
Registered
154 Posts
the 1-series uses the majority of mechanical parts from the 3-series, so there is no difference in the quality of drivetrain, fuel system, cooling system, braking, steering and many suspension components.
+1

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well - the engine and drive train - no problems. But some other minor issues have already started manifesting themselves.

Example - the trunk/boot will pop open and I will have a warning light, so I have to stop the car, and close the trunk/boot again. Its happened twice in the last two weeks, and I mean to have it looked at the next time I go in for a service. The doors suck - and there is a major design flaw in where the inner door handles are placed (i.e. too far forward). I can get the right force in closing the doors, when I have stepped out, but sitting inside the car, I can never seem to get it right. And don't ask what my passengers do - I feel like giving them an earful, but given the trouble I have regularly, I have decided that BMW could not be bothered to relocate the inner door handle, when they redesigned it from a hatch to a coupe. Given all the times the doors get banged really hard as a result, I am not sure how long it will be before the frame less windows become a problem (I have read on the 1addicts forum about problems with the frame less windows).

Added to this, my water pump broke within 2K miles... but I can overlook that for the moment.

But every time I sit and drive off, the door is starting to bug me big time... I have to pay real close attention to closing the bloody door. And then the trunk pops open...

·
Registered
970 Posts
Karla,

The trunk sounds like it needs adjusted. The dealer should be able to take care of this in a few minutes.

The door handles are a bit forward but I don't find it to be a problem. But I weigh 185 too. I am a little surprised you didn't mention the window switches. They seem too far back to me. But if I use my right hand they work fine.

The door has an arm rest at the same elevation as the center island. Not all cars do. They have a decently soft surface, not all cars do. My sports seats have been comfortable for up to 12 hours in a day and keep me in place during autocrosses. I have never had or even sat in seats this good before. I also like the way the gas filler door locks and the little hole for the gas cap on the hinge of the door. Lots of things to like. A few things could have been done better. Not a bad deal in my book.

Jim

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
The door handles are a bit forward but I don't find it to be a problem. But I weigh 185 too. I am a little surprised you didn't mention the window switches. They seem too far back to me. But if I use my right hand they work fine.
Jim
Jim, I find that the window switches are perfect - just a tad further back than my old E46. But the ones on my E91 are way too far forward. I guess all of us 185 lb. types aren't built alike!

Karla, the only warranty issues I've had in 34,000 miles on my 128i vert were two recalls; one for the tail light seals and the other for the seatbelts. Both were taken care of quickly and painlessly.

Build quality of the 1er is comparable to the two 3 series I've owned - probably a bit better in fit and finish than my '99 328i. Hopefully, all of your problems will be fixed under warranty and you'll continue to enjoy your car for a long time.

Tom

·
Registered
15 Posts
I do not have a 1 Series, well for that matter even a BMW anymore but I think that my experience may shed some light. I owned, via order, a 2004 E46 (3 series). I really enjoyed owning the car for the 7 yrs, 35k miles that I had it before it was totalled, unoccupied in a parking lot. However, I realized quickly that owning a BMW was like having a hot woman-exciting at times, expensive and occasionally frustrating.

It seems that BMW really shines at driving performance, looks and feel on the road. The drive trains are pretty solid but the trim and less than critical operating systems are less than high quality.

While I had mine (and it was carefully driven and maintained) the passenger side door handle failed on numerous occasions (cable/rod popping off) until the dealer finally replace it, for two years the engine-on hot days would stumble and nearly die when starting from a stop (finally a software upgrade fixed that), the gas gauge would show 1/4 tank and be empty-ran out of gas in the middle of a busy intersection (fixed by running a bunch of fuel system cleaner through it-but never really trusted it again), had a rattle in the rear from day one that the dealer could never fix, both driver and passenger door seals fell apart (cost to repair $500 and expected time till next failure via BMW was 24 months-I just kept gluing it back together), squeeling belt at start up that the dealer was never able to fix, continued minor loss of coolant that was never diagnosed or repaired. I did not own it long enough to experience the common front control arm bushing failures etc.

It was exciting, looked good but yes was frustrating.....just like having a hot woman.

Sometimes I go looking at BMW's and consider buying another, but then again sometimes I like to look at hot women as well.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's post's/help..
I called my nephew... a car fanatic.. worked for Dyson Racing (Lemans) has worked on multi-million $$$ Porsche and Ferrari... Has an Audi - worked for Audi/Volkswagon, etc.. My point being he knows a thing or two about cars!
He said ... its a German made car and German cars are simply notorious for these "little" things. As JUSTACAR pointed out below: for driving and performance you gotta love 'em, but for the less important aspects, they leave something to be desired.
My answer I guess, therefore, would be that I expected too much from my Li'l baby. My nephew was embarrased that I would even think about going back to a Honda, but as a racing person, one can see where he would gravitate to the engine and performace aspects!!
I guess I have another year or so on the warranty... I wanted to pass this vehicle on to my son in 3 years when he drives, but I just don't know, at this point, if that will be reasonable.
I thought - for anyone interested - I would pass on my nephews point of view; and thanks again! :thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.