BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a wire that is positive when the key is set to On or Acc? Either one will work. I prefer if there is a wire on both side and near the front.
I'm trying to add a light in the front that would need 12V when the engine on.

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
That may be a difficult find. Most everything up there are user switchable and not auto-on. I suppose if you have driving lights ON then that would work? I can tell you there is a source in the back fuse bank, you could always run a wire underneath from back to front. I wrote the following in a previous thread, the reference was running a switched power wire into the cabin, but you get the gist.

"On my 2006 650 the power is always on also for virtually every fuse. But I did find one in the back of the car that switched on/off with the ignition. So if you have an appliance that you want to always be on regardless of amp/antenna signal wire then it might be a better choice. Plus it doesn't require digging into the dash or molex connectors.

I don't know if it is the same in the other models, but after testing every fuse in the glove box and then moving to the rear fuse panel I found the only one that powered off with the ignition. It is fuse position # 89, it is a seat heater fuse, when looking at the trunk fuses it is the farthest to the top and right, a 5 amp. Just added a add-a-circuit tap and voila, was ready to roll. I ran the wire under the bottom back seat cushion, when you remove it there is a wire loom that runs from the trunk to the cabin on the drivers side. I used a fish-tape to pull the wire through that space. Takes all of 10 to 15 minutes to acquire a power switch.

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Pico-0957PT-Fuse-Circuit-Holder/dp/B001QRSBY8?tag=5336432742-20
"

·
dRopTop'd
389 Posts
Does anyone know of a wire that is positive when the key is set to On or Acc? Either one will work. I prefer if there is a wire on both side and near the front.
I'm trying to add a light in the front that would need 12V when the engine on.
Why don't you just tap it into the parking lights? That way,your light will turn on when the lights are on?

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why don't you just tap it into the parking lights? That way,your light will turn on when the lights are on?
Im trying to hook up a LED bar strip under the headlight fixture. Would like to tap into a Ingition on wire.

There has to be a wire in the front that would be 12V when the ingition is on. Would be very hard to bring a wire from back to front. Tapping into a parking light would only allow on during night..

Anyone know of a way to have a wire to tap into when the ingition is ON?

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
It is easier to run a wire than you think...I have done it on virtually every car I have owned while installing aftermarket stereo's. Typically have to run a power wire from the front engine bay to the trunk where the amps are mounted. Obviously this is the opposite but the principal is the same.

Step 1 - drill a small hole in the bottom of the trunk, somewhere where the wire comes out in a decent spot that would not get hit from the bottom. Probably the side of the battery well.

Step 2 - run the wire along existing frame channels...get creative, along brake lines, frame gaps. Zip tie it where needed.

Step 3 - Silicone around the wire hole to prevent corrosion and to seal.

That in case you can't find a switched source up front. If you are looking for just a wire to use as Ignition Sense for On/Off of your device, then you can run a very thin wire, you don't need much for that.

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just did this last Saturday. Didn't take many pictures, sorry. Basically I now have 12V LED DRLs that have giant capacitor in the circuit. When the car turns off, the DRLs stay on until the caps die. It's a little weird, but I like it.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5356314#post5356314
So you pulled the 12V from the socket at the passenger side (was it the brown wire)? where was the wire ran thru on the firewall? was it the grommet?
also, how did you remove the front bumper in 10 mins? do you have a link or manual you can share?

·
Cruising 280 Top Down
6,089 Posts
I took my time, and I'm not quite as fast as 30yrVeteran, but he has another pdf for removing the bumper. Search through the DIY section.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts