BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all you knowledgeable 7 Series fans,

I have a 2002 745 Li with 127,000 on it (all but 8K I drove myself with 95% on highways!). I discussed the vehicle with a car wholesaler. He warned me not own it beyond 130K and that I would walk away from it at that point, but would not elaborate on any specific issue that would emerge. BTW, the car received a new transmission at 85,000 (under warranty) and a tear-down, reseal to replace the infamous coolant tube gasket at 115,000 (not under warranty :( ), with $2300 worth of new parts, gasket seal etc. I think the wholesaler was blowing smoke. Is there anything to this, particularly given my refurbished powertrain condition? I think he is looking to flip the car before it get higher mileage. I drive 35,000 per year and would be happy to keep driving it, unless I pour thousands in a year for repairs.

Thanks!!

·
President
8,099 Posts
we can all guess but u just never know

it MIGHT right ok with just the regular maintenance or it MIGHT just eat up a bunch of cash on repairs

·
asc-abs sensors rock!!!!
413 Posts
To all you knowledgeable 7 Series fans,

I have a 2002 745 Li with 127,000 on it (all but 8K I drove myself with 95% on highways!). I discussed the vehicle with a car wholesaler. He warned me not own it beyond 130K and that I would walk away from it at that point, but would not elaborate on any specific issue that would emerge. BTW, the car received a new transmission at 85,000 (under warranty) and a tear-down, reseal to replace the infamous coolant tube gasket at 115,000 (not under warranty :( ), with $2300 worth of new parts, gasket seal etc. I think the wholesaler was blowing smoke. Is there anything to this, particularly given my refurbished powertrain condition? I think he is looking to flip the car before it get higher mileage. I drive 35,000 per year and would be happy to keep driving it, unless I pour thousands in a year for repairs.

Thanks!!
I SAY DRIVE IT AND DONT LET OTHER PEOPLE MISS LEAD YOU WITH THERE NONSENCE. RULE OF THUMB IF YOU CAN FIX OUT OF POCKET WITHOUT BREAKING THE BANK THEN OWN IF NOT THEN SELL IT... I HAVE DRIVEN MY CAR 28K IN ONE YEAR AND I DRIVE IT LONG HAULS TO MEXICO...ONLY MAJOR PROBLEM I HAD WAS MY ALTERNATOR GOING OUT IN MEXICO.I BOUGHT INSTALLED IT AND WALLA NO MORE ISSUES AFER THAT. SINCE YOUR TRANNY HAS BEEN REPLACE AND THE HIDIOUSE COOLANT PIPE AS WELL THEN REALLY YOU HAVE NOTHING MAYOR TO WORRY ABOUT. A 7 IS ALWAYS GONNA NEED SOMETHING IF YOU KEEP UP TO SHAPE.LOL...YOU FIX ONE THING AND NEXT WEEK SOMETHING ELSE GOES OUT...LOL... REMINDS ME OF MY VW CORRADO I HAD..... ANYWAY THIS IS JUST MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND ADVISE..GOOD LUCK. :thumbup:

·
Registered
530 Posts
keep the car, I sounds like it has some of the major repairs taken care of.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

I appreciate the responses that I have received, and have been and remain ready to be performing regular maintenance (or having it performed, I am not a mechanic), but I see the comments regarding "some" of the major maintenance. What else is there? Of course, the dealership mechanics and service reps will not be predictive, but the wholesaler said a problem will emerge at 130K that will be so expensive, I would walk away rather than repair. Since I paid for 80% of the unwarrantied (and unbelievably surprising) coolant tube last year (BMS USA and the dealer covered 10% each), I feel that I am "in" a significant amount of fresh cash that market value does not reflect, hence I need to ride out "subjective" value.

Thanks!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts