BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know in the official press release BMW stated the 135 will have a 6 cylinder turbo engine putting out 300hp. 0-60 in 5.3... Exact configurations of the 335 right?

Therefore, if the 135 is smaller, weighs less, but has the same outputs..it can then be
assumed that it will be deemed faster than the 335?

335 has shown 4.8 0-60 in many magazines..does this mean the 135 will be even quicker?

I know im not going by this logically, just talkin.

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
I could get an econobox to turn in a relatively fast 0-60 time. All it takes is ridiculous gearing and a lot of traction. Who cares?

I do think the 135 will be a bit faster than the 335 around most tracks simply because it has real brakes (on paper, anyhow). The weight difference, at a scant ~100-150 lbs, isn't that significant.

I should point out that the shorter wheelbase on the 135 will improve the car's responsiveness but probably make it a bit tougher to drive as a result.

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
I dont like 0-60. I'm more concerned about 3-54 mph. How fast will the car accelerate to that speed?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I'm more concerned about the lap time around one of the major road courses... Combines acceleration, braking and cornering.. they all need to work together.

·
Registered
425 Posts
0-60 will be faster.
0-100 will be faster.
especially lap times will be faster.

One thing that will really help on lap times (besides that it will be lighter and more agile) are the brakes they will be using on the 135i.

BMW usually finds single-piston calipers to be sufficient enough for its cars. Even some M-division cars are shod with single-piston setups. The 135i will come standard with six-piston calipers up front and two-piston calipers in the rear. BMW is doing this knowing that a lot of 135i owners will be taking their car to the track.

135i will also come standard with the M-tuned sport suspension that will help it get around those corners very well.

I really think the 135i will have a cult following.

Off topic, iDrive is optional here, thank goodness.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The 135 is going to be a heavy, small econo-car with the same junky open diff that the 335has. I highly doubt that BMW is going to sacrifice 3 series sales for the 1 series.

I am going out on a limb here and saying that the 335 will be rated to 315-320 hp in the very near future while the 135 will be rated around 280hp due to "a more restrictive exhaust/intake/etc". Even though i am sure the engines will internally be the exact same the breathing for the two engines is going to be different. And by rating the two cars 30hp or so apart it lets you "upgrade" from the 135 to the 335.

Much like GM used to do with the Firebird and the Corvette. They both had an LS1 350hp engine but due to exhaust and intake difference (and marketing) the corvette was rated higher. I am sure with a chip and an exhaust the 335 and 135 will be identical. You can't neglect the fact that you have a lot less real estate in the 135 to work with in regards to optimizing intake and exhaust and what a huge difference that makes on a FI engine.

I just love how some people assume that since BMW put a fancy brake package on the car that means that they meant it to be a "racer" or that they are building it with the enthusiast in mind. That is certainly the marketting behind it but you do not build a 35K+, 3200+lb, Boston leather appointed ethusiast car.

Enthusiast is something the Mazda Miata Club Racer (no softop, no a/c, no power steering, no radio, cloth) or the Honda S2000 CR (no top, no radio, no a/c, revised suspension). Notice a trend? Lightweight, no options, no creature comforts. BMW would like to pretend the 135 is a return to its enthusiast roots of the 2002 but in reality it is just a heavy economy car with a big engine and a pretty brake kit.

·
In vino veritas
3,374 Posts
Enthusiast is something the Mazda Miata Club Racer (no softop, no a/c, no power steering, no radio, cloth) or the Honda S2000 CR (no top, no radio, no a/c, revised suspension). Notice a trend? Lightweight, no options, no creature comforts. BMW would like to pretend the 135 is a return to its enthusiast roots of the 2002 but in reality it is just a heavy economy car with a big engine and a pretty brake kit.
+1

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
There are more than one kind of automobile enthusiasts. Many (too many!) years ago I wanted cars that were very much like what you describe --- relatively light with horsepower to burn and no options that would make the car any slower at all. Now I require more creature comforts, but I still consider myself an automobile enthusiast. Different strokes (and bores) for different enthusiasts.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The 135...heavy...econo-car...heavy economy car...
well, after 6 years of eagerly anticipating it's release in the U.S., unfortunately my enthusiasm for the 1 series is waning rapidly for a variety of reasons, some of which are resonations of observations made by members of the astute panel here including yourself, akhbhaat, dawg 90 and others, but the most salient reason is the ironic lack of "economy" in it, at least as far as the U.S is concerned. the lack of a diesel option or at least a highly efficient smaller displacement 6 cyl.with d.i.(say 2.5ltrs. as opposed to a heavy 3.0ltr. engine with the output of a 2.7ltr. engine) or turbo-4 with d.i., in conjunction with the car's mass have made the car unsuitable for the long-distance commuter that i had wanted it to be; and nor do i think that it would be my choice for a true "fun car" in that i would prefer something more elemental(i.e. that doesn't drive like a smaller e90). granted, if i decide to go with just one car it might be a good compromise vehicle but then i still think that i'd prefer a 123d for the fuel-efficiency(indeed $5.00 may be just around the corner). maybe i'll hold onto my cobalt ss as a dd and get a Z or some such thing for fun down the road a bit; or wait for the diesel.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm thinking the 1-series will be a good car for the price. It should have some refinement, however it would be foolish to think that creature comfort wise it would compare with the 335i. My opinion is that it will serve to gather up some of the STI/Evo crowd and drive them to BMW. It'll be more like a "get them hooked young car", as the current 3-series is just about priced out of most college grad's price range.

Performance-wise, I think it will be a good all around car, but probably could have been better, however the brakes are a nice touch. Economy-wise it would be nice to have a turbo diesel and/or high output turbo 4 as hector said...that and a little more weight saving would be a deal sealer for most of the enthusiast/purist types.

·
TMS
9,288 Posts
Enthusiast is something the Mazda Miata Club Racer (no softop, no a/c, no power steering, no radio, cloth) or the Honda S2000 CR (no top, no radio, no a/c, revised suspension). Notice a trend? Lightweight, no options, no creature comforts.
Add microscopic target market to that list of attributes.

Most people who want a dedicated track car buy something used and strip it to just the essentials.

·
Le fabuleux destin
568 Posts
I am going out on a limb here and saying that the 335 will be rated to 315-320 hp in the very near future while the 135 will be rated around 280hp due to "a more restrictive exhaust/intake/etc". Even though i am sure the engines will internally be the exact same the breathing for the two engines is going to be different. And by rating the two cars 30hp or so apart it lets you "upgrade" from the 135 to the 335.
Thought the 335 and the 535 have the same hp today. BMW seems ok with that. Also, BMW have already stated the 135 will be 300hp.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Where did you come up with this info. The 135i is rated the same hp output as the 335i, thats a fact. BMW press release, BMW tech sheet, 1-series brochures all state 306 hp, what is so hard to believe. What do you think they are lying?

Its the same engine, same output in the 535i, 335i, 135i. Its rather simple.

If anything BMW has been known to understate their numbers, not overstate. I don't think BMW would state 306 hp for the 135i and then let all the mags test the car getting lower hp numbers. That would not be in their best interest.

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
There are more than one kind of automobile enthusiasts. Many (too many!) years ago I wanted cars that were very much like what you describe --- relatively light with horsepower to burn and no options that would make the car any slower at all. Now I require more creature comforts, but I still consider myself an automobile enthusiast. Different strokes (and bores) for different enthusiasts.
Amen. Kinda insulting to say that you aren't an a "real" enthusiast unless you're driving an Ariel Atom.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Amen. Kinda insulting to say that you aren't an a "real" enthusiast unless you're driving an Ariel Atom.
Agree 100%

99% of the people posting in the 1-series forum are saying very positive statements about the 1-series, especially the 135i.

There are 3-4 members who just love to hate. A couple of them knock the weight and their personal cars are much heavier, its very amusing.

·
Master of the Universe
1,348 Posts
Agree 100%

99% of the people posting in the 1-series forum are saying very positive statements about the 1-series, especially the 135i.

There are 3-4 members who just love to hate. A couple of them knock the weight and their personal cars are much heavier, its very amusing.
I like the look of the 135 and think it will be plenty fast. Why trade my AC and radio for .1 on my 0-60. It's a daily driver not a race car (for me at least) I'm thinking of trading the german boat in for something more economical to return to school in.

·
ex-M couper
1,749 Posts
I'm thinking the 1-series will be a good car for the price. It should have some refinement, however it would be foolish to think that creature comfort wise it would compare with the 335i.
Unless you are an extremely large 'creature' I see no reason why the 1er should have any lesser level of creature comfort than the 3er (or even my 6er for that matter).
Creature comfort /= size.

·
Registered
13,798 Posts
Agree 100%

Unlike you, some of us have been posting in the 1 series forum since it started in early 2004, so excuse us if we don't get overly excited about an impractical 3400 lb coupe w/ an open diff.

It's not that enthusiasts don't like the 135i, it's just that after a 4 year wait for a new small BMW, it's a bit of a letdown. As a commuter car I'm sure it'll be quite nice.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Unlike you, some of us have been posting in the 1 series forum since it started in early 2004, so excuse us if we don't get overly excited about an impractical 3400 lb coupe w/ an open diff.

It's not that enthusiasts don't like the 135i, it's just that after a 4 year wait for a new small BMW, it's a bit of a letdown. As a commuter car I'm sure it'll be quite nice.
I think you just identified yourself as one of the 135i haters. There a few more out there.

I don't get it really, if you hate the car so much, why do you spend so much time in the 1-series forum.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts