BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my ED package today. Will pick up on Monday the 13th and wanted to drop off in Frankfurt on the 27th. Like car rentals I was expecting that if I picked up at noon I could deliver the car before noon 14 days later.....wrong. The package states I am good on registration only till Sunday the 26th...and since the drop off locations are not open this means I either have to change pick up date, or extend insurance/registration for this one additional day of use.

I'll speak with the SA tomorrow, but I guess I am planning on spending some more $ on insurance. Too bad it isn't like it was in 1990...30 days of insurance/registration.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Strange stuff. :dunno: Especially for someone who has done it before. And just like in 1990, it wasn't like a car rental but like car registration, to the day and not the hour. :p

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Perhaps not so strange as the insurance and registration expire at midnight. I bet the ED people are actually giving people more than 14 days so that everything is ready and waiting when the customer shows up. Does anyone still have their green export registration booklet? If you do, does the registration (and by necessity the insurance) start before your pick up date?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anlauf,

The extra month registration on my M3 was only $145 or so... Don't know in your case if it will be more or less.
The dealer picked up the bill on that as a courtesy. Try working something out with them.

If not, frankly, once you get your credit card bill after your trip,
$145 is really not going to make that much of a difference and you'll barely notice it. :rofl: But, yeah, it sucks...

·
Registered
292 Posts
rommelrules said:
Anlauf,

The extra month registration on my M3 was only $145 or so... Don't know in your case if it will be more or less.
Assuming that you have to pay for a month ($145) when all you need is a day. That one day of additional insurance will cost $52,925 on an annualized basis!!

I hate insurance...no wonder insurance Co's have the tallest buildings in most cities!! :thumbdwn:

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm picking up on 6/22, am planning on dropping off 14 days later, 7/5. I got my conformation packet, they do say my registration/insurance expires on 7/5. I assume that means end of day 7/5, right?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
That's correct.

I dropped of my car on the 14th day, and since I was making a mad, 500 mile dash from Lucca Italy to Munich, and got a late start... I got there after hours. I called the Berhends at the drop off center before they closed, and he said definitely drop the car off that evening, as getting caught driving it the next day would be quite expensive (it's registration, NOT just insurance) so I dropped it off that evening, and went back the next day to do the paper work.

eimSD said:
I'm picking up on 6/22, am planning on dropping off 14 days later, 7/5. I got my conformation packet, they do say my registration/insurance expires on 7/5. I assume that means end of day 7/5, right?

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
e36M3r said:
That's correct.

I dropped of my car on the 14th day, and since I was making a mad, 500 mile dash from Lucca Italy to Munich, and got a late start... I got there after hours. I called the Berhends at the drop off center before they closed, and he said definitely drop the car off that evening, as getting caught driving it the next day would be quite expensive (it's registration, NOT just insurance) so I dropped it off that evening, and went back the next day to do the paper work.
Seems like a good solution, BTW. One might even fill out the paperwork in advance. They might consider changing to 15 days of insurance, as I imagine you're not alone in going Monday to Monday (or Friday to Friday, etc.)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yep, many have done the paper work ahead of time, say flying out on Monday morning, do the paper work ahead of time and drop the car off sometime Saturday. I wanted to do that anyway, even though I didn't know I would miss the drop-off time and have to go back the next day.

Regardless, the originator of this thread should realize from doing this before that we are getting registration, thru the German government, and not just insurance... and I don't know any registration anywhere which is good on an hourly basis... pure sillyness :rofl:

·
Using SPF 45
3,672 Posts
e36M3r said:
Regardless, the originator of this thread should realize from doing this before that we are getting registration, thru the German government, and not just insurance... and I don't know any registration anywhere which is good on an hourly basis... pure sillyness :rofl:
Good point. Although BMW could help by not counting the pickup day as a day, and basically giving people half a day "free" on the registration.

BTW, what is the cost of the temporary registration to BMW? I have to imagine it's pretty small, and the cost constraint is the insurance. (After all, if you want to go longer, you're just payinf for additional insurance, not registration time).

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Yes, you're right! Well, this is not an issue for those going for less than 14 days, just as before it was not an issue for those going for 30. Unfortunately, bottom line is the program has been diminished somewhat and we are getting less than before.

Tanning machine said:
(After all, if you want to go longer, you're just paying for additional insurance, not registration time).

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
Tanning machine said:
BTW, what is the cost of the temporary registration to BMW? I have to imagine it's pretty small, and the cost constraint is the insurance. (After all, if you want to go longer, you're just payinf for additional insurance, not registration time).
If someone still has their green export registration booklet and can tell me the starting and expiration dates written there, plus their scheduled pick up date, I can get numbers for you guys on Monday.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Mine says bis zum 31.03.2005 and Tag 18.03.05 I picked up...18.03.05 and my plate has an expiration of 31.03.05, the same day I dropped off.

hth, but I don't see how?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
e36M3r said:
Yep, many have done the paper work ahead of time, say flying out on Monday morning, do the paper work ahead of time and drop the car off sometime Saturday. I wanted to do that anyway, even though I didn't know I would miss the drop-off time and have to go back the next day.

Well someone has to be silly in the world!

Seriously, my point was that my dealer knew my drop off date...yet the only time I realized there was a problem was yesterday when the Euro package arrived. I didn't get a chance to be silly in 1990 because BMW provide insurance and registration for 30 days...I didn't stay for anything near that long.

So today I called BMW, got the European Deliver manager in NJ and she is trying to assist me with additional insurance AND registration. BTW, I never complained about the $145....and will gladly part with this to assure problem-free drop off 15 (14!) days after picking up the car. Hope she is successful as BMW obtains registration 1 week in advance of pick up data according to her.

Just make sure your dealer has all the info correct, otherwise it could make for last minute changes (hate those).

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm still over here, but I turned in my car about 10 days ago now. Although my insurance was for +2 weeks from the pickup day (inclusive), I was surprised to find out that my registration and plates were for +13 days (not 2 weeks).

I talked to the car transit company in Nice, and they told me not to worry about it, and I dropped it off 2 weeks after pickup - no issues. But it is strange they aren't very clear on what 14 days means.

·
John Firestone
2,913 Posts
O.K., here is the minimum it would cost me to insure and register an ED car on German export plates:
33.30 registration fees
25.00 license plates
79.00 fifteen days liability insurance
=====
137.30 euros total​
Throw in another 79 euros to add comprehensive coverage and live less dangerously. That raises the insurance to 158 euros which is more or less what BMW NA charges for 14 days:
$337 for each additional month - $145 to go from 14->30 days coverage
= $192; $192 x 1 euro / $1.22 = 157 euros.​
With full insurance, the costs total up as follows:
33.30 registration fees
25.00 license plates
158.00 fifteen days insurance
------
216.30 euros total
x $1.22/euro
=====
$264 for 14 days​
If we assume BMW AG does not add any administrative or logistic fees, about 3/4 of the first delivery cost of a 14-day European delivery is in the insurance. That might be why the standard insurance is no longer 30 days.

I hope that begins to answer whatever people were asking!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts